Main Menu

Turntables

Started by MarkW, Jun 15, 2011, 07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkW

Greetings fellow Jacketeers.

I'm looking to buy a turntable to listen to my vinyl, both old and new, after a break of about 15 years.  Been buying the odd LP here and there, and have a collection of late 80s / early 90s records to rediscover.  Really want to listen to Circuital, though, which has spurred my decision.

I've got an old (and trusty) Denon PMA355 amp and (equally old and trusty) floor standing Mission 702e speakers which give plenty of neutral, powerful sound together.

I really like the look of the Rega RP1, Pro-ject Debut III - anyone tried/owned them?

I'd love a Linn LP12, but the budget doesn't stretch that far...

All input welcomed.
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

headhunter

Mark, I had a Rega P2 for 20 years - they make GREAT tts. 
Linns are also great but you might be better off buying a used one at a sight like audiogon.

http://www.audiogon.com/

I currently have a couple of vpi's that i love but there are many good tts out there these days.  on line sites like elusive disc and acoustic sounds are also good to check out.

but imo, if you get a rega, you will never be sorry.  pm me if you have any questions.
was some shakin' and some record playin'

MarkW

Thanks for the advice and link headhunter - I'll be going along to my local audio store for a listening session in the next few weeks.  I love the look of the Regas - nice and minimalist.

As usual, searching around on the internet has unintended and expensive consequences - now thinking about upgrading the amp, CD player and speakers too!  :D
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

CC

Recently got myself a new (old) one. Thought about getting the Pro-ject Debut III at first but eventually went for a vintage one, a 1975 Thorens TD165. It sounds really wonderful. You can usually find one for around a 100 bucks, you just gotta be patient and wait for a nice one to come around, or a restored one. You might have to replace the belt but they're still available and not that expensive.

MarkW

That looks niiiiice, CC.  I seem to be entering an almost endless world of turntables, tonearms and cartridges - too much choice!  ::)

headhunter

That Thorens is a beauty CC.  Those vintage Thorens tt send out a beautiful sound (not to mention the gorgeous look!)

Also love the TF print hanging in the background. Nice.

Crispy

Ay yi yi, you guys are making me itch real bad for either a new unit or to have mine restored...and after finding this, I'm thinking this is just the guy to get my Marantz 6300 back in shape. I like the vintage stuff too.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

Hawkeye

I just wanted to bump this thread and say that I'm jonesin' for a new turntable.  There's a Thoren on ebay right now for $110.  Man I love vinyl.

On a side note, cheap receiver on woot.com today too...not sure if it's any good...probably not for $150, but the price is right if anyone needs a cheap receiver!   :beer:
We could.

Hawkeye

Gotta bump this after the arrival of the Rega RP1 and Bellari VP130 preamp...sounds pretty damn good.  Still debating on if it sounds $600 better than my old turntable (Audio Technica ATPL50, which, admittedly is a low-dollar POS) or not, but it definitely sounds better.  Clearer, warmer.  The static and imperfections in the LP's are much more noticable now, so I think the next investment may be a good record cleaner.

I tried playing a CD copy of Yim's "Tribute to" vs. the vinyl copy.  I definitely "get it" now regarding the "warm" vinyl sound.  They both sounded great, but the CD sounded much more "sterile."  I'm not really good at using these audiophile terms, and honestly, it kind of annoys me to even use the terminology, but whadyagonnado.

Resisting the urge to upgrade the table already...I'm always thinking that next upgrade is going to make such a world of difference.    Considering:

leather DIY mat instead of felt
upgraded "white" drive belt
Groovetracer subplatter
Groovetracer acrylic platter - this one looks pretty damn sharp too

Anyway, good Saturday going so far listening to the new table!  Circuital, YY, Pet Sounds, Abbey Road, Basement Tapes, Surfer's Choice, Who By Numbers, Derek and the Dominos  :thumbsup:

Now just gotta fix my left Klipsch SF-3 speaker.  I think the crossover is bad.
We could.

Jon T.

I got my tt working and I love it.  I had to buy a replacement cartridge and it seems to be too heavy for the arm.  Is it called an "arm", btw.  lol  It plays the records and is sounds great, only thing is when you hit "lift" it doesn't lift.  And when the record is over, if I'm not there to catch it, it scratches across the record to get back. 

Also, I found this online.  Anyone have any insight to this?  I would love to have this in my house, just afraid it might be a piece of junk.  It might be cool to have anyway, though.  Decisions, decisions...

http://pensacola.craigslist.org/atq/2749962021.html

MarkW

Quote from: Jon T. on Dec 21, 2011, 08:59 AM
Also, I found this online.  Anyone have any insight to this? http://pensacola.craigslist.org/atq/2749962021.html

That, my friend, is a radiogram.  It looks a lot like one my grandparents used to have.  The sound was never up to much, but the look cool.

walterfredo

it's time for me to get a turntable.  I just bought this setup.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882981013&nm_mc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882120176&nm_mc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-

2 days ago they had a deal on newegg with these both bundled together for $499 with free 3-day shipping., deal is apparently over now.

So I want a turntable, but have absolutely zero knowledge of what I should get.  Sounds like I'll need a preamp as well as the receiver does not have a phono output.  Any advice.  Would really love to go on the cheaps.  Should I look for a used one on C-list?  Any advice on brands, preamps, what not to get, etc. would all be appreciated.  Thanks.

pawpaw

Nice setup Walter! I can't offer much advice on how best to round that out, but it sounds like there are some folks here that can help you.

I've got my dad's old turntable. It's a Kenwood KD 500, probably about 35 years old or so. I've replaced the needle, but other than that it's original and it still sounds great. I've got all his old records too.
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

Hawkeye

I've only had 2 turntables, and only really listened to a few more.  The best I've heard yet has been my new Rega RP1, but it's not exactly cheap.  $450 for the turntable and $155 for the preamp (normally $250).  The Audio-Technica ATPL50 that I had was perfectly adequate.  I had it for 3-4 years before having this Rega gifted to me.  Honestly, you really have to focus and listen to hear the difference (at least at first).  Once you hear it, it kind of sticks with you and the difference becomes more obvious, but IMO, the Audio-Technica is a great deal, if you want a NEW turntable (around $75).  Then, there's the whole "used" market, which is another story.  From what I've seen, it's not hard to find a solid, used Thorens on eBay, if you want the vintage look.  There are many other options in the "used" realm.  I've got no recommendations there, but if you do your research and stick to a reputable brand, it would probably be hard to go wrong.  If you need a preamp, I've got no complaints with the Bellari VP-130.  Tubes are easy to change out (or "roll" in the preamp lingo), sound is good.  No on-off switch is the only complaint...unplug the mains power or put it on mute when you're done listening, but the tube stays on...I would think you wouldn't want that tube staying constantly on (although from what I've read it is a low power source through the tube), for optimal tube life.
We could.

Hawkeye

Just noticed I passed 1,000 posts!   :D  Only took 5 years  ;)
We could.

Nicholas Yames

Any good ideas for one I can hook up to my Bose Speakers?
and if all else fails, i'll come running back, wonderin where you went
with my heart.

Crispy

I finally got a new cartridge for my Marantz 6300, and now I really know how long overdue it was. I didn't get anything special, this budget Shure number (I was lucky enough to get it for $20 less than the price listed), but it is pretty nice, has some good features and sounds great. It had been too long since At Dawn sounded so good on my system!

I have been wanting to go totally analog with a tube amp setup for a long time. Anybody have any advice on that front, Hawkeye?
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

headhunter

Quote from: Crispy on Jan 15, 2012, 12:23 PM
I finally got a new cartridge for my Marantz 6300, and now I really know how long overdue it was. I didn't get anything special, this budget Shure number (I was lucky enough to get it for $20 less than the price listed), but it is pretty nice, has some good features and sounds great. It had been too long since At Dawn sounded so good on my system!

I have been wanting to go totally analog with a tube amp setup for a long time. Anybody have any advice on that front, Hawkeye?

I would be happy to help.  I have a hybrid amp (combo solid state and tube) and a fully tubed pre-amp.  Tube sound is so much warmer.

EverythingChanges

My girlfriend and I want to buy a turntable, and I was wondering if any of you folks had brand/model preferences.  I'm wanting to listen to my records on a daily basis. Is it true that the record player will eventually ruin vinyl?  If so, how long does it normally takes to wear vinyl out?

Thanks!
I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck

EverythingChanges

I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck