Main Menu

Workout Tunes

Started by megalicious, Jun 20, 2011, 09:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

megalicious

I am finally getting back into a regular fitness routine. I've made a playlist for when I'm out jogging, but it needs some more songs. What do y'all rock out to when working out? Any awesome, upbeat tunes you could suggest?

Here's what I've been jamming thusfar:
Genius of Love/Tom Tom Club
Tighten Up/ Archie Bell & The Drells
Born to Run/ The Boss
Cannibal/ Fan Death
Heads Will Roll (A-Track Remix)/ Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Move Your Feet/ Junior Senior
Dance in the Dark/ Lady Gaga (deal with it  :P)
Tits on the Radio/ Scissor Sisters
Age of Consent/ New Order
Time to Prentend/ MGMT
Too Young/ Pheonix
One Big Holiday/ MMJ
Strange Times/ The Black Keys
all facts begin as dreams dreamt by the wizard

jones

There are more, but I don't have my iPod with me.  Full albums off the top of my head:

Beck: Odelay, Midnight Vultures, Guero, The Information, Modern Guilt
TV On The Radio: Return To Cookie Mountain

Also, I'll just pick a song with a good tempo and then let Genius take over...

Jaimoe

I don't mix up tunes, but albums that really work for me when on the treadmill (which I use after weight-training) are often Marquee Moon by Television, Fun House by The Stooges, Sonic Youth's Sonic Nurse, anything by James Brown, Funkadelic and Parliament and you can't go wrong with MGMT's Oracular Spectacular and the Beta Band's 3 EPs and/or Beta Band's Hot Shots II.

For a long run or ride, I love jazz, Dead, Allman and for something hypnotic (which hides the pain) such as Junior Kimbrough or some early Black Keys.

For pumping you up for some heavy excertion, Tool is perfect. Sometimes when I'm doing weight-training and don't want to get bored, I listen to Tom Waits.

buaawwww

Jaimoe's got it right.

When I am riding a bike or running it's usually all Dead, Allmans, Crowes, Blind Melon, MMJ... and sometimes put it on shuffle through all the classic rock I've got.

When I'm doing weight training, it's generally Motorhead, Slayer, Megadeth, Tool... much heavier bands.  Today as a matter of fact I did a little Kyuss/The Sword playlist shuffle (to get me primed for their concert too!)

mjk73

Good choices Meg. Throw in The Whigs, Sugar (or anything Bob Mould), Kasabian, Massive Attack, Holy Fuck, Sleigh Bells,

megalicious

Thanks for the suggestions! I am looking forward to expanding my "ass to asphault" playlist!
:)
all facts begin as dreams dreamt by the wizard

kydiddle

Quote from: megalicious on Jun 21, 2011, 09:38 AM
Thanks for the suggestions! I am looking forward to expanding my "ass to asphault" playlist!
:)

Mates of State: "Re-arrange Us" has some choice upbeat songs that I love to run to.
Cow temperature.

kotchishm

Kings of Leon "Because of the Times" is my go-to usually
Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf

YouAre_GivenToFly

The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

Jaimoe

More times than not, I don't bring my mp3 player with me to the gym and thus have to endure Virgin Radio on the sound-system. As bad as this seems, there's nothing that pumps you up more than horrible music by the likes of Ke$ha, Pink and Britney. I also tend to finish my workout much quicker when the tunes are bad.

mjk73

Quote from: Jaimoe on Jun 22, 2011, 07:36 AM
More times than not, I don't bring my mp3 player with me to the gym and thus have to endure Virgin Radio on the sound-system. As bad as this seems, there's nothing that pumps you up more than horrible music by the likes of Ke$ha, Pink and Britney. I also tend to finish my workout much quicker when the tunes are bad.
Just pretend Ke$ha is chasing you and singing at you. I'd run from her skanky self and "singing.

Jaimoe

Quote from: mjk73 on Jun 22, 2011, 07:57 AM
Just pretend Ke$ha is chasing you and singing at you. I'd run from her skanky self and "singing.

I did that last night, but it was playing hockey. I haven't skated that well in 15 years (and I scored one goal and added 3 assists!).

mjk73

Quote from: Jaimoe on Jun 22, 2011, 08:23 AM

I did that last night, but it was playing hockey. I haven't skated that well in 15 years (and I scored one goal and added 3 assists!).
I would have gone all Happy Gilmore and board checked the hell out of people.

Jaimoe

Quote from: mjk73 on Jun 22, 2011, 12:37 PM
Quote from: Jaimoe on Jun 22, 2011, 08:23 AM

I would have gone all Happy Gilmore and board checked the hell out of people.

There's no hitting in beer and/or house leagues. I used to be a pretty darn good bodychecker. Now, I have to rely on skating slower with questionable timing.

Tracy 2112

RATM, Soundgarden, Nirvana, Yo La Tengo, Chemical Brothers, Ministry
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

mjk73

Quote from: Jaimoe on Jun 22, 2011, 12:48 PMThere's no hitting in beer and/or house leagues. I used to be a pretty darn good bodychecker. Now, I have to rely on skating slower with questionable timing.
That could be a metaphor for life...

mjk73

Meg, this song or really anything from The Go! Team.

The Go! Team - Huddle Formation

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

buster douglas

I dunno if you will dig this because your playlist is pretty catchy and anthemic, but this album really helps me get into a "runner's trance" type thing where I am just lost in the groove and feel like I can go forever:

Chemical Brothers - Further

K+D+B - The Chemical Brothers

I'm not much of a trance/electro(nica)/house/whateveryoucallit guy but this shit pumps me up for some yogging!!

Tracy 2112

Quote from: buster douglas on Jul 01, 2011, 10:34 AM
I dunno if you will dig this because your playlist is pretty catchy and anthemic, but this album really helps me get into a "runner's trance" type thing where I am just lost in the groove and feel like I can go forever:

Chemical Brothers - Further

K+D+B - The Chemical Brothers

I'm not much of a trance/electro(nica)/house/whateveryoucallit guy but this shit pumps me up for some yogging!!

this is the one I am on to (loving the video is a plus)

The Chemical Brothers - Setting Sun
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.