Can MMJ be a sustainable jam band? (I think yes)

Started by Mbayzer, Aug 19, 2020, 05:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mbayzer

Can MMJ be a sustainable jam band?
I just want to get a discussion going on yall's thoughts for MMJ transitioning into more jamming and improv in the future? I love the studio songs, but I think most can agree the live show is what MMJ is really known for.

I feel like there is a preference to listen to older Jacket from the die hard fans but I want to hear what ya'll think about the 2012-19 era of when they extended songs longer, changed the key, segueing into different songs, and experimenting with different sounds. 2019 is a great example, but also back in 2015 they were really doing some crazy shit.

I go back and forth with listening to a 2001, 2004, 2006, 2012, and recent shows... But I feel like the last decade is really something remarkable. Plus comparing them to other jam bands isn't the same but I think they can surprise people by what they do live.

I'm convinced we haven't reached the mountain top yet and they can only get crazier when live music comes back. Change my mind, but it's basically "Young Jim Voice" vs. "Old Jim Jamming" because they didn't really play their songs as long back in the early days. Now they have the freedom and the support, maybe we'll get longer shows and consecutive nights with no repeats more?

Steam Engine - 2015 Knoxville  :drum:

ranyart

MMJ has been around for about 20 years which is a remarkable achievement for any band.  I have little doubt that they can go for another 20+ years as long as the desire within the band is there because I'm sure the fan base will be there.  Voices and even members will age and change just as they have up to this point, and the music will change accordingly just like it already has and that is just how moving through time works.

Bring it on!!!

ChiefOKONO

I agree, and I think they can.

I hope to see some more jamming and song transitions in the future during live shows.  They're definitely capable so why not, go for it MMJ! :D

Come Closer

I like the too jammy for indie/too indie for jamband heads balance personally. I don't want to see them go much further into the cosmos. 15 minute jams are good. The Dead are for me probably the only band ever that made 30+ minute jams interesting throughout.

ChiefOKONO

I would want 10-20 mins jamming at the most probably.

MMJCOBRA

Well, I'm six minutes into Dondante's birth canal from the Red Rocks show on 8/2/19, and this is both dark star and dark side....

Mbayzer

Quote from: Osistheones on Aug 21, 2020, 01:09 PMI like the too jammy for indie/too indie for jamband heads balance personally. I don't want to see them go much further into the cosmos. 15 minute jams are good. The Dead are for me probably the only band ever that made 30+ minute jams interesting throughout.

There is something about MMJ that they jam and it's not overkill. Maybe it's because they do it carefully and not at every show.

Look at what they've done to I Think I'm Going to Hell at OBH 2018. Taking it to an alternate universe. At the end of Outta My System in Nashville 2017, Carl gets a pedal steel solo and everybody was headbanging in the pit.

I hope they get more consecutive shows with a break during the week so they can expand the setlist, especially with the new material coming.

jttouch2

I like where they're at right now. The jams stay pretty true to the song/chord structure, and I don't know that going full "Type II" is something they could reasonably pull off. Very happy to keep the jams going the way they've been, they do a freaking great job as is.

tgri5th

Quote from: Mbayzer on Aug 25, 2020, 11:45 AM
Quote from: Osistheones on Aug 21, 2020, 01:09 PMI like the too jammy for indie/too indie for jamband heads balance personally. I don't want to see them go much further into the cosmos. 15 minute jams are good. The Dead are for me probably the only band ever that made 30+ minute jams interesting throughout.

There is something about MMJ that they jam and it's not overkill. Maybe it's because they do it carefully and not at every show.

Look at what they've done to I Think I'm Going to Hell at OBH 2018. Taking it to an alternate universe. At the end of Outta My System in Nashville 2017, Carl gets a pedal steel solo and everybody was headbanging in the pit.

I hope they get more consecutive shows with a break during the week so they can expand the setlist, especially with the new material coming.

Can you share a link to the full version of the ITIGTH from OBH 2018?