A Re-Examination of Circuital: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love MMJ

Started by Penny Lane, Jun 30, 2011, 09:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fkinbs

Amen on the LeRoi Moore comment.  I had no idea how much that man meant to their sound until he was gone. 

As far as the T5 shows, I was shocked to see how much cred MMJ had with the indie fans.  Back before ISM I was pretty confident MMJ would venture more towards the jammy side of the musical spectrum rather than anything resembling indie rock.  Nothing wrong with that by any means, I just didn't see it coming.
but talk is often cheap and filled with air

Seeker

The other day, I checked Billboard and ran a search of Circuital. Unlike EU which charted briefly, Billboard says Circuital did not chart. Certainly it seems like alternative FM has not gotten into it yet.

Is Holding on to Black Metal the main track being pushed out there? Might be a bit hard for that one to get played.

I really hope for MMJ to get deserved success but from that article Jim seems to have an OK attitude about it either way.

Ghosts_on_TV

Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

bluesky

Heard Black Metal the other day on a rock station which plays mostly 90's "i'm a sad mother fing dude station"  Monday. I was surprised. Also have heard Black Metal on a indie college station FMU....surprised by both since most NYC radio kinda sucks  :'(

DejaView2011

Quote from: Ghosts_on_TV on Jul 05, 2011, 04:53 PM
The douchiest people I've ever come across at a show were actually at a mmj show (ism t5).
I'm so glad I wasn't the first to write this. But in Louisville I was surprised to find most MMJ fans highly unsociable and some to be rediculously elitist. The nice ones were exceptional though and made up for the snobbery of the rest. I'm a very social person and never have a hard time talking to anyone, but that wasn't the vibe with Jacket fans at the show and even here on the forums sometimes.
       But in reality we all have our own histories and the only true thing we essentially have in common here is we're lovers of MMJ's music. "Getting along" is something most of us prefer to do because its pleasurable. To others its a formality. And some have no interest in "playing well with others"
        It just gets difficult to maneuver sometimes, as I'm a very friendly person but have to continually remind myself that I shouldn't just expect that of everybody else. But I wish I could.
Why does my mind blow to bits everytime they play that song?

bowl of soup

The douchiest people I've ever come across at a show were actually at a mmj show (ism t5).

One never knows when its time to douche.  I was at DMB show and the crowd was generally douchey, but I enjoyed the show nonetheless.  I saw Metallica in the 80's and I'd say the crowd was more aggressive and upset and hostile, then I passed out.  I was at a Fat Boys / Heavy D and the Boys / Salt 'N Peppa show and the crowd was very interested where the white boys with the weed came from - not a douche to be seen.  I've seen the Pixies when Frank/Charles/Black acted like a complete douche and stormed off the stage ( I still love you sir).  I have no idea what any of this means.
I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.

Tracy 2112

Quote from: bowl of soup on Jul 13, 2011, 03:07 PM

One never knows when its time to douche.  I was at DMB show and the crowd was generally douchey, but I enjoyed the show nonetheless.  I saw Metallica in the 80's and I'd say the crowd was more aggressive and upset and hostile, then I passed out.  I was at a Fat Boys / Heavy D and the Boys / Salt 'N Peppa show and the crowd was very interested where the white boys with the weed came from - not a douche to be seen.  I've seen the Pixies when Frank/Charles/Black acted like a complete douche and stormed off the stage ( I still love you sir).  I have no idea what any of this means.

I saw Ryan Adams once and the douchiness at his show came from the stage.
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

fkinbs

Quote from: bowl of soup on Jul 13, 2011, 03:07 PM

Big ups on the diversity of the shows you've been to, regardless of what you meant. 
but talk is often cheap and filled with air

blucas

In my experience, the "sluts and tough guys" factor has been pretty low at the MMJ shows that I have been to...is it "douchey" to say that the sophistication of MMJ music attracts a better brand of fans?  I hope your experience balances out better when you get some more shows under your belt DejaView.  Based on your posts, I would be happy to hang by you  :).

The douchiest douchiness that I have ever experienced from a band perspective came from Kasabian (they came out after a show and we said hi, but they blew us off in a very rude manner when we didn't have cocaine; fortunately the show was good though).  And then there is Maynard, who always seems to be King Douche, no matter what band he is fronting.
soft and warm all the time make you want it over and over

DejaView2011

Quote from: blucas on Jul 15, 2011, 04:29 PM
In my experience, the "sluts and tough guys" factor has been pretty low at the MMJ shows that I have been to...is it "douchey" to say that the sophistication of MMJ music attracts a better brand of fans?  I hope your experience balances out better when you get some more shows under your belt DejaView.  Based on your posts, I would be happy to hang by you  :).

The douchiest douchiness that I have ever experienced from a band perspective came from Kasabian (they came out after a show and we said hi, but they blew us off in a very rude manner when we didn't have cocaine; fortunately the show was good though).  And then there is Maynard, who always seems to be King Douche, no matter what band he is fronting.
I'm sure the pleasure of hanging would be all mine! Lol about Maynard. I always suspected he'd be up the with Trent Reznor for super doucheyness. In all my years the WORST industry people I ever met were Eric Singer of KISS and actress Linda Blair. Wow! For a replacement drummer his ego was rampant in 1991. And Ms Blair was the meanest, most condecending bitch to her fans I've ever witnessed.
      I've been a "tailgater" type concertgoer since the early 80's and miss the days of camping out for tickets and spontaneously making new friends based upon our mutual love for a band. My observations are simply that I found MMJ to be less social and overtly friendly. And then there were the elitistsi encountered. I don't make blanket judgements on anyone. Just added my personal experience to to convo. Because, try as hard as I did, it seemed like pulling teeth to just get together with any other MMJ FANS.
Why does my mind blow to bits everytime they play that song?