Devil's peanut butter has vanished!?

Started by AlwxanderD10, Jul 08, 2011, 01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlwxanderD10

I cant find any links to it anymore  :'( (ones that work anyways)
Any help!?

e_wind

pretty sure asking for that is a no - no
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

AlwxanderD10

theres still a thread about it on here.... but both of the links in it are non working...
http://www.mymorningjacket.com/forum/index.php?topic=4658.msg62259#msg62259

e_wind

i feel your pain there are many of songs i wish i could have that are unreleased, but its the bands wishes not to share this song

e_wind

johnnYYac

I'm assuming JDUB didn't know, but this question about Devil's Peanut Butter has been asked, quite recently in fact, and put to rest.

Back when I first joined the forum, DPB was available in a number of places, including The Steam Engine blog.  However, the band does not want this track public and it was pulled from various websites.

Many of you have noted the ID on this track lists the composer as Scott Cresto.  (the following is speculation)  Cresto is a record exec who likely gave the green light to put DPB on something called the Sundance Film Fest Sampler 2007 (there's a picture of Cresto online at Sundance in 2005).  My guess is he included this track, recorded during the "Z" sessions, without or against the band's wishes.  A search of this guy shows he's still in the biz.

Bottom line, some of us got the track before the band's wishes were made clear.  Most recently, when this came up again, I asked for the band's permission to provide a download link.  The band's wishes continue to be that the track not be publicly shared.  We need to respect that.

MMJ provides its fans with so much, some for sale and some for free.  Don't use the forum on their website to disrespect their wishes. 

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

capt. scotty

I love this song. The band has their reasons why they dont like it, but I love it. I agree that its counterproductive to ask for a song like this on the bands site, but at the same time, if im a rabid fan I wanna hear this song.

I dont normally dream about music, but Ive had multiple dreams about the Jacket playing DPB. Never had a Steam Engine, OBH, etc dream, but have dreamed about hearing DPB...Yeah, its a dream, but I wish they played this song. I fuckin love it
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

ManNamedTruth

That's a shame because I have this and I think it's a great song! I just don't get it.... :-\
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

ManNamedTruth

That Scott Cresto seems like a douche, so that sucks they got screwed over. But surely there's gotta be a way to resolve that. Plus it's a great song, and deserves to get heard.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

johnnYYac

Oh I agree, and nothing can prevent it being shared... just not here. 

It was in another thread where I mentioned some tracks recorded during "Z" that haven't made it to my doorstep yet that got me wondering. 

We haven't had a demos/b-side album in some time.  Sounds like what we were promised a la Roll Call.

JDUB

I didn't know about any of that. Sorry about that.

danz

Interesting...

I didn't know the band asked for the song to cease circulating.  I bought the Sundance Film Fest Sampler CD from eBay a couple years ago and shared that song with a few fine board members.  I actually ended up donating that CD to my local record store after importing the song (the other tracks weren't anything to write about) which, in retrospect, was probably a bad idea.  The info that Johnny has correlates with the track info that came right from the CD's digital file.

johnnYYac

I don't think anyone did anything wrong with this track back then.  Its more recent that l noticed it had been pulled.  When it came up for discussion a couple of weeks ago, I figured I'd double check before posting a download link.  My belief that the track was put out on the CD and websites against the band's knowledge or wishes is pure speculation. 

BTW, can anyone tell me where else in the MMJ catalog, EPKs, or elsewhere I've seen Scott Cresto's name?  His role was getting recordings into TV and film.  I thought I saw it in the "Z" EPK DVD, but now can't find it.  Just curious.

touchingmept2

Alright people, if yall are gonna keep discussing this song I've gotta know what it sounds like. So don't post any links, just express what the tune sounds like in your own words!
The time is near, to come forward with whatever killed your spark.

kotchishm

Up-tempo jam opens with slide guitar, Bo going boom boom boomboomboom on keys (make sense?), fuzzed out Tom bass line (same flow as Bo on the bass line), steady drums, country twang in Jim's voice. Ends with a slide solo I believe.  My version is 4:22 long

EDIT: Haha that "review" is retarded but I tried.
Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf

e_wind

Quote from: touchingmept2 on Jul 10, 2011, 03:33 AM
Alright people, if yall are gonna keep discussing this song I've gotta know what it sounds like. So don't post any links, just express what the tune sounds like in your own words!

it sounds beatiful

davymac

Damn I really want to hear this song...gotta respect the bands wishes though I guess...maybe one day

kotchishm

Are their feelings the same on Churches Banks and Bars because it's better IMO
Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf

Brother Beck

Damn!  Now I know how people who haven't heard Devil's Peanut Butter feel, because I have never heard Churches, Banks and Bars and I really, really, really want to.

Devil's Peanut Butter is a great song.  To my ears: it's upbeat, it's got some slide guitar, I've always heard some strings in the background but in a great way (I could be wrong on that), the lyrics are pretty straight-forward but nice and it's a happy-sounding song.  I love it.  To be honest, in my iTunes, it is on my Evil Urges CD because I think it is a better song than some of the songs officially on Evil Urges.

Can anyone fill me in on what Churches, Banks and Bars is like...???

e_wind

CBB is totally different. I personally like DPB better.

Though, I think DPB is very repetitive