I want something new! Or old!

Started by Tracy 2112, Jul 11, 2011, 09:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tracy 2112

I want to buy a cd and be BLOWN AWAY! Seriously. I haven't been too moved by any new music lately -and by "new", it could be something old that I just haven't heard before. Like the "new" Neil Young , A Treasure; will it blow me away?

So give me your suggestions. Last time I did this BOS recommended Twilight Singers POWDER BURNS which scored and then K got me 2x with Constantines.

I want to be moved! Cover to cover!   :thumbsup:
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

johnnYYac

Don't know if you caught this last time I posted it.  Its not gonna blow the doors off, but Arthur Alexander is an under-appreciated artist who was experiencing a comeback when he died.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Alexander

He's the only songwriter covered by The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, and Bob Dylan.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6YZCKN2M

Arthur Alexander - In the Middle of it All
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

bowl of soup

Have you gone back in time with the Twilight Singers yet?  Blackberry Belle might just be the finest piece of American music ever recorded.
I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.

mjk73

Quote from: bowl of soup on Jul 11, 2011, 10:45 AM
Have you gone back in time with the Twilight Singers yet?  Blackberry Belle might just be the finest piece of American music ever recorded.
What Soup said.

Look into Pokey LaFarge and the South City 3. New album is streaming on NPR right now. It's new but they sound straight out of the 1930's. If you are in a new wave mood and haven't listened to Joe Jackson (outside of the hits) try his debut Look Sharp!. Still a great album and cover. All I can think of on a heat destroyed brain right now.

Ruckus

Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

bowl of soup

How about Superchunk?  That could be something old and new.  They're pretty old (just like you) and they put out a new album last year that I really love - Majesty Shredding.  Not sure if you were ever a Superchunk guy though.
I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.

Tracy 2112

Quote from: bowl of soup on Jul 11, 2011, 01:32 PM
How about Superchunk?  That could be something old and new.  They're pretty old (just like you) and they put out a new album last year that I really love - Majesty Shredding.  Not sure if you were ever a Superchunk guy though.

I gots me some Superchunk
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

Jaimoe

What about Patrick Watson? You should also own the movie, Once.

mjk73

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Jul 11, 2011, 02:47 PM
Quote from: bowl of soup on Jul 11, 2011, 01:32 PM

I gots me some Superchunk
Majesty Shredding is really good.

Teenage Fanclub and they released an very strong album last year. Or you can join my darkside and go all Bitpop

e_wind

I'm in the same boat. Though I'm far younger, I haven't heard something that I've been absolutely obsessed with since I first got into MMJ. I wanna hear something that will become a new favorite band. There have been plenty of great records coming out in the past couple years, but nothing that holds me for a long time. I think I'll check out twilight singers...
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

el_chode

I'm surrounded by assholes

TheBigChicken

The Temptations - With A Lot O' Soul :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
   Runs a little over 30 minutes and is pure soul GOLD !
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

kotchishm

I LOVE the Manchester Orchestra album "Simple Math"
Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf

mjk73

I recently stumbled across Frank Turner. His new album England Keep My Bones tis glorious. Folk/Punk lyrical greatness.

rincon

Quote from: e_wind on Jul 11, 2011, 05:23 PM
I'm in the same boat. Though I'm far younger, I haven't heard something that I've been absolutely obsessed with since I first got into MMJ. I wanna hear something that will become a new favorite band. There have been plenty of great records coming out in the past couple years, but nothing that holds me for a long time. I think I'll check out twilight singers...
Velvet Underground. I know it is a cliche recommendation, but they have a gem that is kind of obscure. It is a very low-fi double live album called "1969". Sounds like it is recorded by a soup can, but considering it was recorded during the summer of Woodstock and guitar solos, you might be surprised to hear the blueprint for the 80's come through clear as a bell. It was my first exposure to VU about 30 years ago, and it eclipses everything else I have ever heard from them. I would guess R.E.M. and Talking Heads would agree. The Velvet Underground - What Goes On (Live 1969)

sweatboard

Frank Black - Frank Black (1993)

Sun Kil Moon - Ghost of the Great Highway (2003)

Two of my favorite records of all time.  Both will blow you away!!
There's Still Time.........

Penny Lane

Quote from: sweatboard on Jul 12, 2011, 12:41 PM
Sun Kil Moon - Ghost of the Great Highway (2003)

;) :) grows and grows and grows on you...
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill