Dave Grohl kicks fan out of iTunes festival show.

Started by foomex, Jul 13, 2011, 02:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crispy

No more striped shirts for ME, I meant! That model may wear (or not wear) whatever she likes.

Besides, if I'm going to wear stripes, they'll be vertical -- you know, the slimming kind.

"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

mike

Oh please. If this EXACT thing was posted and it was Jim doing you would all be going oh wow, Jim is so awesome.

Tracy 2112

Quote from: mike on Jul 13, 2011, 05:22 PM
Oh please. If this EXACT thing was posted and it was Jim doing you would all be going oh wow, Jim is so awesome.

What's your point?
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

sittingcow

Grohl definitely did seem like an asshole there, but it IS HIS show and he's totally earned the right to do that.

Also I always LOVE it when the band kicks an asshole out during a show. One time at a Melvins/Big Business show, there was this ridiculously tall ridiculously drunk/spun dude falling all over everybody, being kinda violent and fucking with people's good times. I was hoping he got kicked out... but he didn't, so I just elbowed him in the stomach a few times. One year later: same venue, same lineup, same dude, maybe even shittier behavior. They spot him, stop the show mid-song and yell "I REMEMBER YOU FROM LAST YEAR! YOU WERE AN ASSHOLE THEN TOO! GGEEEEETTTT OOOUUUUUUUTTTTTT!" Security drags him out while the crowd is throwing drinks on him and sucker-punching him. That moment shot my mood through the roof and made a great show into an unforgettable one.

Jon T.

Mike and Dave Grohl sitting in the tree K-I-S-S-I-N-G...  :-*

i don't have anything against Dave Grohl and from what I've seen and know of him (which isn't much), I like.  I think his band is pleasant enough.

But, this is douchey!

Clarkwork

Now Axl  knows how to kick someone out of a show!  Dave was an asshole. 
If you don't know for yourself, how could you ever know for me....

rincon

Quote from: sittingcow on Jul 13, 2011, 06:11 PM
Grohl definitely did seem like an asshole there, but it IS HIS show and he's totally earned the right to do that.

Also I always LOVE it when the band kicks an asshole out during a show. One time at a Melvins/Big Business show, there was this ridiculously tall ridiculously drunk/spun dude falling all over everybody, being kinda violent and fucking with people's good times. I was hoping he got kicked out... but he didn't, so I just elbowed him in the stomach a few times. One year later: same venue, same lineup, same dude, maybe even shittier behavior. They spot him, stop the show mid-song and yell "I REMEMBER YOU FROM LAST YEAR! YOU WERE AN ASSHOLE THEN TOO! GGEEEEETTTT OOOUUUUUUUTTTTTT!" Security drags him out while the crowd is throwing drinks on him and sucker-punching him. That moment shot my mood through the roof and made a great show into an unforgettable one.
How does a performer "earn the right" to kick someone out of a show they paid for? I would go to court claiming it is securities call and not a performer. No one here even knows what happened. Grohl appears to be an ass to me. As the focus of attention af 3000 people, pointing someone out for the whole crowd to bag on could be borderline criminal if the guy got hurt.

el_chode

I see no problem with it. And maybe I"m naive or whatever, but I don't think they'd go through the effort to stage something so banal.

And to echo Mike's point, I wonder how this would be if Jim took action against a kid with no shirt, a backwards, slightly frayed Fordham Lacrosse hat, a cheaply made hemp necklace, throwing fists and glow sticks and demanding to hear I'm Amazed on repeat because he and his bros totally smoked a blunt once to that song.
I'm surrounded by assholes

e_wind

Quote from: rincon on Jul 13, 2011, 09:10 PM

How does a performer "earn the right" to kick someone out of a show they paid for? I would go to court claiming it is securities call and not a performer. No one here even knows what happened. Grohl appears to be an ass to me. As the focus of attention af 3000 people, pointing someone out for the whole crowd to bag on could be borderline criminal if the guy got hurt.

this, and how is sucker punching a guy and thowing drinks at him a spirit booster?

At Black Keys NYE some real tall dude pushed roughly to the rail right in front of myself and my girlfriend. I calmly asked him to stand behind us, because we had been there for hours waiting. His response: "fuck you man, you dont know me, don't fuck with me". This kid was 16, and we made the choice to find new spots. The fact is, that kid was a total dickhead, but he payed, and I payed. I'm not gonna fight him over it and cause a scene, thats dumb. AND, if he had stood behind me, the people behind me wouldve been bummed. Everyone around knew he was an asshole, and he knows hes an asshole. thats punishment enough

I actually have this debate a lot, because we've seen the keys kick someone out. my friend says "what ever hes a frat bro" and i say, "yeah but that frat bro is a fan that has given the keys some of his money" ... so no, if Jim did it, I wouldn't be excited about it
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

el_chode

They paid money to see a show. So did I. Except I didn't pay money to interfere with their ability to enjoy the show. And neither did they. One of us exceeded the value of our dollar, and I'll be damned if I'm gonna get ripped off.
I'm surrounded by assholes

Tracy 2112

Quote from: Jon T. on Jul 13, 2011, 07:24 PM
Mike and Dave Grohl sitting in the tree K-I-S-S-I-N-G...  :-*

Fucking A man; Fucking A    :thumbsup:

buymycar

If starting a fight will get them to stop playing that god awful Skin and Bones song, then I'm all for it.

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: e_wind on Jul 13, 2011, 09:40 PM

this, and how is sucker punching a guy and thowing drinks at him a spirit booster?

At Black Keys NYE some real tall dude pushed roughly to the rail right in front of myself and my girlfriend. I calmly asked him to stand behind us, because we had been there for hours waiting. His response: "fuck you man, you dont know me, don't fuck with me". This kid was 16, and we made the choice to find new spots. The fact is, that kid was a total dickhead, but he payed, and I payed. I'm not gonna fight him over it and cause a scene, thats dumb. AND, if he had stood behind me, the people behind me wouldve been bummed. Everyone around knew he was an asshole, and he knows hes an asshole. thats punishment enough

I actually have this debate a lot, because we've seen the keys kick someone out. my friend says "what ever hes a frat bro" and i say, "yeah but that frat bro is a fan that has given the keys some of his money" ... so no, if Jim did it, I wouldn't be excited about it

So that gives everyone license to act however they want? I have no problem with what Grohl did, especially if it was warranted.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

vespachick

It's not just "his" show, and for him to say that just shows how much of a dick he is. He's a douche. Drunk people at shows piss me off, sure, even this guy prob would make me stand wide at the most, but Grohl is just playing a type.  A played, boring type. 

EDIT: also, it's the "iTunes Festival."  Seriously?
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

Ruckus

I remember when this bit came out I got a good laugh about it.  Kinda lame now but all of a sudden seems relevant again:

Look at my button down striped shirt! Fucking look at it! This shirt means one thing! I'm coming home with some woman tonight! That's right! It's been a long week at the office and it's time to blow off a little steam! I am a Junior Vice President! I have business cards that say "Junior Vice President" on them! They're glossy and magnificent! Here! Have one! Take it!

My boys are coming out with me tonight! They all have striped shirts too!

I figure we'll kick off the night with some Golden Tee! I am going to smack the shit out of that little white ball! It's going to be so fucking loud! I'll bet I can drive that pretend golf ball 600 fucking yards tonight! I'm that fucking pumped!

I can almost taste those Jager Bombs right now! I fucking love Red Bull! I put it on my God damned cereal! I'm crushing one right now!

I'm thinking about buying a boat this year!

I'm gonna fight someone tonight! I pray to God someone makes eye contact with me! I will beat his ass! And God help him if he gets any blood on my striped shirt! If he does, I'll scrub it out with his head and some bleach! I mean it!

I'm gonna grind on girls tonight! You heard me! When I see a group of girls dancing in a circle, I will select the most attractive one and dry hump her until it hurts!

I will valet tonight!

I will treat the valet with contempt and make sure that he knows that I am superior to him in life! I will tell him to "Take it easy on the brakes, Champ"!

I will talk to people I don't know about my job tonight! They will all know that I am an important man! I will call female bartenders "Babe" and male bartenders "Chief"!

When I do not hook up with a girl at that club, I will say that the place is "full of skanks"! We will wait in a long line to go to another bar only to strike out again!

I will give up and decide to order a gyro off of a street vendor! I will make fun of him to my friends for being foreign! I will look ridiculous purchasing my gyro because people will be able to tell by my striped shirt and tinted sunglasses that I struck out and am settling for a gyro!

I will make one last attempt to hook up by trying to coax two big girls who are also ordering gyros to coming back to my place for "after hours"! When they say no I will make fun of them for being fat! I will leave!

When I get home I will go to the bathroom and hold the straight razor to my wrist again! I will gently drag the razor laterally against my vein, making sure not to actually cut myself!

I will then go to my room and pass out! I will need some shut eye so that I'll be ready to fucking party again tomorrow!
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

rincon

What does your experience have to do with this? I have no idea what happened, either do you, unless you got another source or were there. It is not his job to act as gatekeeper, there are people hired for that. He clearly enjoyed his outburst and it appeared to me gave tacit approval to kick that guys ass. Something is fishy about this video, and it has NOTHING to do with your past experiences.

Tracy 2112

I believe this security guard sort of blacked out and thought Kurt Cobain was a fan trying to get on stage (regardless of the fact he was holding a guitar). Dave jumps off his kit.....and....does nothing.

Kurt Cobain getting beat up

then there's good ol' Henry (notice, no striped shirts)

Henry Rollins beats up a fan

e_wind

Quote from: rincon on Jul 14, 2011, 01:02 AM

What does your experience have to do with this? I have no idea what happened, either do you, unless you got another source or were there. It is not his job to act as gatekeeper, there are people hired for that. He clearly enjoyed his outburst and it appeared to me gave tacit approval to kick that guys ass. Something is fishy about this video, and it has NOTHING to do with your past experiences.

its very similar. people act like assholes. get over it. don't "sucker punch" them for a quick thrill.

edit: wait a second, I was agreeing with you

e_wind

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Jul 14, 2011, 10:17 AM

then there's good ol' Henry (notice, no striped shirts)

Henry Rollins beats up a fan

I think they show this in the documentary American Hardcore, and I'm pretty sure the fans fuck with Rollins just because he's the new (and honestly better) singer of BF. Punches at a hardcore show are another whole conversation.