Walking out of a show early

Started by Tracy 2112, Jul 28, 2011, 08:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tracy 2112

Another thread got me thinking; have you ever seen a band that you thought sucked so bad that you left? Who was it?

-I guess getting free tickets qualifies: we got free tickets to see Johnny Lange and left 3/4 of the way in.

-Closest I came leaving a show I paid for was Ryan Adams and I mainly stayed b/c I did not want to miss any of the train wreck; it had little to do with wanting to see more "music".

Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

Penny Lane

I left the Old 97s before the encore (which I guess was Rhett's solo stuff).
I left Trail of the Dead early. Terrible.
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

mjk73

Deer Tick (Sorry Ruckus). Just awful. Inane rambling banter, 2 full songs and a butchered version of a blues song for some guy that died earlier that day....all within the span of almost an hour.

Foo Fighters - I left after 4 songs that I''d never heard of. In all honesty, I went strictly to see the opener.

e_wind

Not counting festivals, off the tip of my head I can remember Dr Dog. I love Dr Dog though, and left during the 3 song encore due to reasons other than music. Also last summers App Vox show (before the tour with yim, though he was playing bass). It was at a small bar because of rain and wasn't enjoying myself
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Ruckus

Hey, apparently I left the Trail of Dead early this year too though I didn't know that I did.  I was told later.

Back in 1997 I left a 311 show after one song.  Man did I think they sucked.  The tickets were free and the opium wasn't mixing well with the vibe.

I also left a Dave Matthews show the same year after about 3 songs.  I was someone's date too.  She forgave me but I had no interest in hanging out with her again.  It just pissed me off that Maceo Parker opened and I was the only person there early to see him out of about 16,000.  Once the girl I was with started chatting during the whole Maceo set and the sorority girls started screaming during the Dave set, I knew what I had to do.

I actually left MMJ at Koka Booth in Cary last year during the encore.  I was so frustrated with the sound being so quiet even though we were on the rail that I just walked out.  Caught Dancefloors from afar then left.  Besides, when sandwiched between Charleston and Merriweather, it didn't carry its weight.

I got into a disagreement with my high school girlfriend and left an hour early during the 2nd night of Phish's two night stand at Jones Beach in '95.  Ahh to be young.

And my favorite, I walked out after two songs of Written Prisms' last show.  They were a local, all white, wannabe Roots acts with all live instrumentation and two MCs.  Sadly, they were just horrendous.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Ruckus

Quote from: mjk73 on Jul 28, 2011, 10:30 AM
Deer Tick (Sorry Ruckus). Just awful. Inane rambling banter, 2 full songs and a butchered version of a blues song for some guy that died earlier that day....all within the span of almost an hour.

;D This is the 22nd different version of this story you've posted.  The only thing they have in common is that they sucked.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Penny Lane

Quote from: Ruckus on Jul 28, 2011, 10:42 AM

;D This is the 22nd different version of this story you've posted.  The only thing they have in common is that they sucked.

giving them another try--they're playing a post-Newport Folk Fest set in Newport at the Blues Cafe---I think Mahgeetah will be there, too...10$ surprise anouncement a couple days ago!
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Paulie_Walnuts

Monsters Of Folk at The Troxy in London.........couldn't put up with that Conor Oberst idiot!
Paulie W

Tracy 2112

Foo Fighters - I left after 4 songs that I''d never heard of. In all honesty, I went strictly to see the opener.

Forgot about openers. We went to see Robin Trower open for Foreigner back in the day. We left as soon as the opening chords for I Want to Know What Love Is started (mid show).

woodnymph

I did manage to walk out of a Dark Star Orchestra show early at Mr. Small's in the middle of winter (Jan or Feb) in my sandals and a skirt and tank top, all of which I had bothered to bring with me and change into before the show started!!!

That was an interesting evening... ('05? '06?)

I can't rightly remember walking out of any other shows though?  That might be beyond the grip of my memory though.  (at least for right now)  Definitely meandered away from different stages at fests, but as for specific shows at specific venues, none come to mind besides the DSO incident.

My ex tried really really hard to get me to walk out of a couple shows in Raleigh years ago, but I wouldn't have it  >:(
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

YouAre_GivenToFly

Besides some high school punk shows I went to, I can't remember ever really leaving a show before it was over (except for transportation reasons). I left a Dr. Dog show in NYC early to catch a train. Same for a Coheed show in Philly back in 2006.
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

Tracy 2112

Quote from: woodnymph on Jul 28, 2011, 11:52 AM
  Definitely meandered away from different stages at fests

I read that as >  Definently meandered away from different stages during sets   ;D

danz

R.E.M.
The Avett Brothers
Son Volt
Rogue Wave
:-o to each their own though

woodnymph

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Jul 28, 2011, 12:24 PM
Quote from: woodnymph on Jul 28, 2011, 11:52 AM
  Definitely meandered away from different stages at fests

I read that as >  Definently meandered away from different stages during sets   ;D

Hahahahahahah well now I'm not sure if we're talking about physical stages or astral stages   ;D

TheBigChicken

Kings Of Leon in Oklahoma....just awful
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

woodnymph

Quote from: TheBigChicken on Jul 28, 2011, 12:55 PM

Wait Chicky, did you walk out early.... or did they!!

Ohhhhhhhhh sorry, couldn't help it   :P

Honest Man

Quote from: Paulie_Walnuts on Jul 28, 2011, 11:38 AM
Monsters Of Folk at The Troxy in London.........couldn't put up with that Conor Oberst idiot!

I agree. I saw them in NYC. He is annoying and whiney.
The fact that my hearts beating, is all the proof you need.

mjk73

Quote from: woodnymph on Jul 28, 2011, 01:00 PM

There were no pigeons at that show.

ManNamedTruth

I've never left early because of how bad a show was. I left Dr. Dog early once too because it was a really late show and my friend I was with had to get up early for work. Since then I got to see them again in entirety. I left Dave Matthews Band during the encore so I could avoid some traffic, I had just seen Phish 2 days before and the traffic was horrendous on the way down and back and I was thoroughly worn out.
Woody, I was at a DSO show in Feb of 2007 at Smalls, maybe that was the show?
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

woodnymph

Quote from: mjk73 on Jul 28, 2011, 01:02 PM
Quote from: woodnymph on Jul 28, 2011, 01:00 PM

There were no pigeons at that show.
You shit me not?!  ;D