Epic interview with Carl Broemel at KDHX.org

Started by stereocourier, Aug 02, 2011, 07:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stereocourier

KDHX music writer Matt Champion chatted with Carl this afternoon before the show in St. Louis. Really in-depth and a great read. Enjoy!

http://kdhx.org/music/music-news/we-knew-that-these-guys-were-crazy-an-interview-with-carl-broemel-of-my-morning-jacket

kydiddle

Excellent! Love the insight about T5. I wish someone would have done a documentary of those nights to see what they were talking about after the shows. How they felt, etc. Which songs were the "weird ones" that he references?

Also great:

It was freeing to know that they knew we were playing the whole record so we didn't have to make a setlist. We'd just play the record and just do something stupid at the end, something fun and crazy. ... We may do something like that again, I don't know. It was a lot of work though.
Cow temperature.

ryno11111

"I'll never forget when Bo [Koster] and I joined the band. Before the first tour, we're all just standing around in Louisville rehearsing and I didn't really know the guys all that well. We're all standing there, our hair in ponytails, just relaxing, going through the songs trying to figure out parts and teaching each other things. Then we got to the first show and everybody went berserk. You know, like these three dudes that I just met who were chilling before just turned into monsters. I was like "Shit, what have I got myself into?" you know? That was a big moment for me and Bo. We looked at each other like "Holy shit!" We knew that these guys were crazy but we had no idea when we were rehearsing that the shows were gonna be like this. It was a big emotional release that would quickly guide us into going crazy ourselves."

Awesome.

ChiefOKONO

thanks, this was a most excellent piece, glad to have read it!!

walterfredo

little billy was one of my T5 highlights too, it was just amazing.  Great read!

crowesfan13

Check it out, Jacket is judging a songwriting competition along with Tom Waits, Jeff Beck, Ozzy, and a shitload more. Here is the link www.songwritingcompetition.com

weeniebeenie

How loud can silence get?