Your first MMJ tunes?

Started by butternut, Aug 17, 2011, 06:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

butternut

I remember the first time I heard My Morning Jacket-- I was 13 and I came across Bermuda Highway and Golden. I couldn't stop listening to them since. Now I'm 20 and am finally seeing them for the first time next week in Charlottesville.

What songs got you hooked to MMJ?

manonthemoon

The first time I heard of the band was while watching austin city limits in early 06 when they had a set list of:

Golden
Gideon
What a Wonderful Man
Dondante
Anytime

Was hooked afterwards and flew to SF to see them at the filmore.
Alive or Just Breathing

EasyRyder

as typical as it may or may not be - Wordless Chorus was the first I remember....then evil urges, then Dondante. it was the summer of 08, and I was spinning evil urges pretty often when a friend told me to listen to Z. Then it's all history and empty pockets from there  :D

Dondante is what sold me though...

"As citizens of eternity we ought to be without anxiety."

buster douglas

Their cover of "A Quick One While He's Away" with Ed Vedder was my very first exposure to MMJ, and I was instantly impressed/intrigued.

From there I did a little research and downloaded Okonokos (I later bought the DVD).  The first songs to really hook into me were Golden, Run Thru and I Think I'm Going To Hell.

capt. scotty

OBH hooked me. It might be like a real big trout that I couldnt reign in, because at first I didnt love MMJ. But after a couple years, It Still Moves pulled me in and I became a big fan.

Its still OBH
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

youreveningcoat

Yeah One Big Holiday was the first I heard, and then for some reason I don't know why it must have been the force I went and bought okonokos for NZ$50 which is about US$40 having only heard one and a half songs! But i'm glad I did because now i'm hooked like everyone else. :)

Oh Off The Record was one that really made me love them, probably my favourite MMJ song to date...
Do not spray into eyes, I have sprayed you into my eyes

johnnYYac

My first two were from MMJ on SNL May 5, 2008.  I'm Amazed and Evil Urges.  With a month before the album's release,  I checked their back catalog and was hooked by Lay Low.  From there, it just snowballed.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Ghosts_on_TV

Whatever song they opened with at field day festival in '03, I don't remember. The first songs I heard and recognized as mmj were Lowdown and Bermuda Highway.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

Tracy 2112

At Dawn

Driving in the big wide open plains of South Dakota

Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

e_wind

my boss told me to get ISM, so I guess Mahgeetah was the first song
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Taterbug

Summer 2005, I was at a farm house in southern Indiana for a bachelor party, The perfect setting, I have never seen the stars so brite. I heard these amazing tunes coming from the party bus ( Rollin back and ISM in it's entirety ).  I was enamored & hammered, I don't know if it was the suds or the salad that I was influenced by but I  was hooked since day 1  :thumbsup:
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

ryno11111

Bonnaroo 2004.  Return To Thunderdome.  A life altering experience.  Thanks Jacket.

megalicious

2003. Campus radio station. I was a DJ and our studio (at the time) was in this tinyass closet. Played "Golden" one October afternoon and it was love from the first note.
all facts begin as dreams dreamt by the wizard

wolof7

I heard the name My Morning Jacket in late 2003, I heard they were good then I witnessed this in November 2003:

...and the rest is history.
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

PhishSticks41

My friend came to me one day and said that I had to check this band out and that he had a Cd with some of their stuff on it. We got in my car, packed a lip of skoal, and he put on Gideon. I loved it and he then put on Off the Record. As many others in this thread have already stated; "the rest is history...".
Hysterical and useless...

oistheone

The infamous Conan appearance was my maiden voyage on the great ship Jacket as well.

Nicholas Yames

Like so many others on here... I started with Pearl Jam... My exact order is this

Spring 08: A Quick One w/ Eddie Vedder (Imagine in Cornice)

Summer 08: Evil Urges (only music I listened to that entire summer)

Fall 08: Okonokos... FUCKING GONE from there.

Still falling in love with songs that I didn't "love" prior.

Ex. Spinning ISM a couple months back, and holy shit Rollin Back is a fucking jam. Next couple weeks all I did was listen to I Will Sing through Rollin Back... Maybe the jammiest section of any MMJ album
and if all else fails, i'll come running back, wonderin where you went
with my heart.

wolof7

Quote from: Nicholas Yames on Aug 18, 2011, 09:40 PM
Like so many others on here... I started with Pearl Jam... My exact order is this

Spring 08: A Quick One w/ Eddie Vedder (Imagine in Cornice)

Summer 08: Evil Urges (only music I listened to that entire summer)

Fall 08: Okonokos... FUCKING GONE from there.

Still falling in love with songs that I didn't "love" prior.

Ex. Spinning ISM a couple months back, and holy shit Rollin Back is a fucking jam. Next couple weeks all I did was listen to I Will Sing through Rollin Back... Maybe the jammiest section of any MMJ album

I find the whole PJ connection really cool...it seems like of all their touring mates, MMJ have retained more PJ fans than any other bands.
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

iLikeBeer

Quote from: manonthemoon on Aug 17, 2011, 08:44 PM
The first time I heard of the band was while watching austin city limits in early 06 when they had a set list of:

Golden
Gideon
What a Wonderful Man
Dondante
Anytime

Was hooked afterwards and flew to SF to see them at the filmore.

I shared the same experience!   :beer:

This was back before I had a DVR so I was taping ACL every week on my VCR.  Usually I'd watch that week's show and record over it the next week.  But when I saw that MMJ performance, I was like, who in the hell is this band and how have I not stumbled across them sooner???  I was mesmorized at how they could go from completely rocking out in a song to an extended jam in another song to just being complely stripped down in another song.  Their diversity is what completly hooked me in and I have been obsessed with this band ever since my first viewing of that ACL performance!   I wore my VHS tape out watching it so many times!  8)

And it only took me 4 years after seeing that ACL show to finally see them live!  And after finally seeing them live for the first time last summer, I can say my obsession went to a whole new level!   :D   :thumbsup:

RobRoy286

I checked them out after the Bonnaroo lineup came out this year. I already had Z on my iPod but hadmt really given it much attention. Wordless Chorus, Off the Record, Lay Low, and Dondante blew me away. I proceeded to get the rest of their albums, with Okonokos really impressing me.

Then Bonnaroo came. Holy shit. It exceeded all expectations - best show of the weekend, and maybe the best show of my life. I still remember the rush of excitement that came over me when the trumpeter started Victory Dance while the band came out. From the time the bass dropped until the last note of One Big Holiday, I was fucking entranced. I seriously lost my shit to Highly Suspicious.  I knew then that  I'd be seeing this band multiple times again.