Does MMJ hate making money?

Started by CousinEddie, Jun 06, 2010, 03:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CousinEddie

Why no soundboard recordings from the last two tours? Yeah, there's that "Celebracion" ep, which, at like seven songs, is basically a cock tease. I think morning-after soundboard downloads, a la Phish or Panic, would bring them some cheddar.

Why no DVDs since Okonokos? You could put just about any show on DVD, master the audio, and fans would eat it up. Wouldn't even have to be pro-shot, IMO.

What gives?

Guys, if you read this, and you feel like a new marketing strategist would help your operation, please respond. I have great references.

aMillionDreams

"Money don't mean a thing to me."
- Jim James from The Dark
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

CousinEddie

Quote"Money don't mean a thing to me."
- Jim James from The Dark

OK, then give out the soundboards for free  :)

TheBigChicken

Is this REAL tomato ketchup,Eddie?
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

el_chode

I don't think they think their fans are as into the live thing as Phish or Panic or anything. I'm not saying they're right in thinking that, but it's just my impression - they have this ability the other ones don't have, and that is to hook the casual listener.

Still, I remember hearing that they had video at 'Roo 06 which I"m waiting for. Also these things cost a lot. Then there's saturation, it might not make sense from a marketing perspective to over-saturate the market with DVDs. There's only been one album released since Okonokos, so there's not that much new stuff.

Again, I'm not saying it's right, because us rabid fans would snatch it up in a heartbeat.

I just don't think the fanbase is as firmly rooted in the "we want anything and everything live" as Phish or WSP or Stringcheese, etc.

Give it time.
I'm surrounded by assholes

el_chode

Also look at the age of WSP and Phish. They've been around forever, MMJ are at least a decade and a half behind them, yet look how far they've come in that same short time.

johnnYYac

QuoteAlso look at the age of WSP and Phish. They've been around forever, MMJ are at least a decade and a half behind them, yet look how far they've come in that same short time.

Good point.  So much of the music I listen to is from bands that have been together for over 20 years (or much much longer).  
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

wakebord

i think that another reason they aren't releasing shows like phish or the dead or whoever is that the Jacket cares about the quality of what gets put out there that is actually released by them; and it keeps people wanting more when you just give them little nuggets now and again (like the shel silverstein cover that came out today !!! )

if there is a show i'd like to see released, its the one from louisville where they recorded the record store day EP and had that 18 minute long video on vimeo filmed in HD documenting part of that stuff.  that show had a great setlist.

Erik26

Quotei think that another reason they aren't releasing shows like phish or the dead or whoever is that the Jacket cares about the quality of what gets put out there that is actually released by them; and it keeps people wanting more when you just give them little nuggets now and again (like the shel silverstein cover that came out today !!! ).

Yes sir!
The fact that my heart's beating,
Is all the proof you need

Race of Robots

I agree with the OP. Whether or not they gain from the soundboard recordings, the excellenceness of their shows should be provided to the fans in the best condition. I hate getting shitty quality recordings of my shows on archive(especially when songs like Dondante or IWSYS are played- crowd chatta chatta). I still download them, but come on.

el_chode

QuoteI agree with the OP. Whether or not they gain from the soundboard recordings, the excellenceness of their shows should be provided to the fans in the best condition. I hate getting shitty quality recordings of my shows on archive(especially when songs like Dondante or IWSYS are played- crowd chatta chatta). I still download them, but come on.

You have to understand that the band may not own all the distribution rights for their music, and part of their agreement with ATO, who probably have the distribution rights to the music, requires them to only allow non-soundboard releases.

Whether the band wants to or not is a different issue. They could put it in a new contract, but I'd wager that if this is the case, ATO doesn't want to risk future losses from selling live releases.

Whether you hate labels or love them, they are the ones who help foot the bill to make the music we love, and a live album is a great way to protect against losses since you don't have the same overhead as you would a studio release.

CousinEddie

For the love of all things holy, MMJ, PLEASE make this 5 night run available to all those who can't afford to be there. Even if you charge an arm and a leg, then donate the detestable pile of cash to underpriveleged earthquake victims with AIDS, PLEASE distribute soundboard recordings. Or let Bo record some video on his phone and sell it. SOMETHING!

SaraBananaBear

QuoteFor the love of all things holy, MMJ, PLEASE make this 5 night run available to all those who can't afford to be there. Even if you charge an arm and a leg, then donate the detestable pile of cash to underpriveleged earthquake victims with AIDS, PLEASE distribute soundboard recordings. [highlight]Or let Bo record some video on his phone and sell it.[/highlight] SOMETHING!

Hahaha, aww poor Bo desperately trying to play while recording with his phone, probably wouldn't work out too well. It would be quite nice to see it recorded though, or even better see the 5 shows repeated in Europe... just throwing that out there... again... so yeah... fingers crossed! ;)
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

capt. scotty

QuoteFor the love of all things holy, MMJ, PLEASE make this 5 night run available to all those who can't afford to be there. Even if you charge an arm and a leg, then donate the detestable pile of cash to underpriveleged earthquake victims with AIDS, PLEASE distribute soundboard recordings. Or let Bo record some video on his phone and sell it. SOMETHING!

I would F a monkey just to get aids if it meant I could be at these shows
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

johnnYYac

QuoteFor the love of all things holy, MMJ, PLEASE make this 5 night run available to all those who can't afford to be there. Even if you charge an arm and a leg, then donate the detestable pile of cash to underpriveleged earthquake victims with AIDS, PLEASE distribute soundboard recordings. Or let Bo record some video on his phone and sell it. SOMETHING!

I wouldn't go that far.  I'm not sure what's stopping you.  Don't know your backstory too well (married? kids?).  Why not apply for a fresh new credit card, use it for all your needs (tix, hotel, flight, food/beer), then call in sick with H1N1 symptoms.  Promise to put no less than $100 towards the card each month until its paid off.  Or you could cook crystal meth in the desert in an RV.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

SaraBananaBear

I wouldn't go that far.  I'm not sure what's stopping you.  Don't know your backstory too well (married? kids?).  Why not apply for a fresh new credit card, use it for all your needs (tix, hotel, flight, food/beer), then call in sick with H1N1 symptoms.  Promise to put no less than $100 towards the card each month until its paid off.  Or you could cook crystal meth in the desert in an RV.

Hahaha, so much good advice in one post, I'm amazed! I'll remember to go to you the next time I need advice mr johnnYYac ;)
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

My Morning Coffee

Quotei think that another reason they aren't releasing shows like phish or the dead or whoever is that the Jacket cares about the quality of what gets put out there that is actually released by them; and it keeps people wanting more when you just give them little nuggets now and again (like the shel silverstein cover that came out today !!! )

Great call Wake...I agree with that statement as well. Plus money can't buy them love! Yim was doing his thing for a good long while, yet they announce these T5 and headlining festy shows...tickets are still gone instantly.  We want it because we haven't had it.

Plus I mean, it's not like there's no public taping policy. We have the Archive shows: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=my%20morning%20jacket%20AND%20collection:etree&sort=-date

~ I ain't often right, but I've never been wrong ~