Forum Album Club #1 - Tattoo You/ Rolling Stones -Wolof

Started by wolof7, Aug 31, 2011, 09:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iLikeBeer

Quote from: sweatboard on Aug 31, 2011, 10:49 PM
Quote from: iLikeBeer on Aug 31, 2011, 10:41 PM
Quote from: sweatboard on Aug 31, 2011, 10:33 PM
Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Aug 31, 2011, 10:09 PM
This is like being at the cool table at lunch   8)

More like being at the dork table except no one in a letterman's jacket just smacked me in the back of the head.

I'd like to think this was like being at the stoner table myself.  I can recall from personal experience...  :P

There is nothing worse than being stoned and getting smacked in the back of the head for no reason. 

Well I'm sure there is, but not when it happens.

Ha!  Nobody was smacking us at my school.  Actually, my school had an open campus so we were blazing in our cars, listening to good tunes and going to Subway everyday for lunch!   8)

Crispy

Quote from: iLikeBeer on Aug 31, 2011, 10:54 PM
Quote from: sweatboard on Aug 31, 2011, 10:49 PM
Quote from: iLikeBeer on Aug 31, 2011, 10:41 PM
Quote from: sweatboard on Aug 31, 2011, 10:33 PM
Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Aug 31, 2011, 10:09 PM
This is like being at the cool table at lunch   8)

More like being at the dork table except no one in a letterman's jacket just smacked me in the back of the head.

I'd like to think this was like being at the stoner table myself.  I can recall from personal experience...  :P

There is nothing worse than being stoned and getting smacked in the back of the head for no reason. 

Well I'm sure there is, but not when it happens.

Ha!  Nobody was smacking us at my school.  Actually, my school had an open campus so we were blazing in our cars, listening to good tunes and going to Subway everyday for lunch!   8)

Sweet, just like my school! We either went to Hamburger Stand or to someone's house for Spaghettios. Also, most of the lettermen at my school were also the stoners.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

sweatboard

Spaghettios?   ;D ;D ;D ;D

Just think about that man.   :o
There's Still Time.........

Crispy

Quote from: sweatboard on Aug 31, 2011, 11:06 PM

We were high! And cheap! And stupid!  ;D ;D ;D
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

sweatboard

I wasn't allowed to participate in our graduation ceremony or prom because I got caught going to Taco Bell during lunch "Break" to many times.  My girlfriend was pissed, but it worked out, I didn't have to go to prom or participate in the final two weeks of school, and I still got laid on prom night.  A+

sweatboard

Oh, and I still got my high school diploma.  I think that's when I decided not to "try".

Thanks High School!!!   

ALady

I think I'm gonna reread the part in Keith's Life where they're recording this one before commenting...gonna get in the right headspace. 
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

he.who.forgets

Sorry I'm late to the party folks...had some internet issues last night so couldnt participate in the actual "listening party".  Had a chance to listen through the album a few times and like many others have said, it's sparked my interest in the later Stones, although I understand that most tracks were previously recorded. With that being said I think it's a fine album. 7.5 rating overall. My favorite track is probably Slave as it's just too damn smooth to ignore.  Next is probably Black Limousine as I love the classic blues riffs.  Least favorite track is probably Hang Fire, I just dont feel it fits.  What's the story with the album art? Kinda looks like Bowie.

Taterbug

Can I sit at the cool table if it's not to late,  It's ok if you make fun of my uni-brow and rat tail.  It doesn't bother because my trenchcoat has super powers and I can deflect criticism.
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

Tracy 2112

Quote from: Crispy on Aug 31, 2011, 11:09 PM

with meatballs, right? Please say w/ meatballs, please...
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

Crispy

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Sep 01, 2011, 04:05 PM
Quote from: Crispy on Aug 31, 2011, 11:09 PM

with meatballs, right? Please say w/ meatballs, please...

Of course! The kind without meatballs are gross, and nobody eats the hot dog kind.

ALady

Quote from: Taterbug on Sep 01, 2011, 02:43 PM
Can I sit at the cool table if it's not to late,  It's ok if you make fun of my uni-brow and rat tail.  It doesn't bother because my trenchcoat has super powers and I can deflect criticism.

Hell yes you can.   ;D

wolof7

Quote from: Taterbug on Sep 01, 2011, 02:43 PM

Certainly Tater, I will add you to the Club, you will get added into the fold to pick an album in "season 2" which will start in January as I have scheduled the first 20 weeks!!! And feel free to comment throughout, it's more or less open to all! Needle drops Weds. at 9:30 ET and new album will be discussed every week!

Hey Alady, was there a chapter/Section on Tattoo You in Keith's Book?

I really wanna know the story behind Heaven, it really is like nothing they've done that is definitely song of the week for me!
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

ALady

There was, I can't remember much about it at the moment though.  Will give it a pass through this weekend/early next week and post any interesting bits here.

wolof7

I read an interview with Keith stating that the album was originally "tattoo" and he has no idea how the title became "tattoo you." I guess he though mick added it in to mess with him...mick denied this but apparently keith is still suspicious... ;D

mahg33ta

Hey I'm sorry I signed up and haven't weighed in - I am interested and do have some thoughts.... busy workweek and Sox / Yanks series have me running around a bit!

mjk73

Sorry I'm way late in getting anything in, RL is kicking my ass pretty hard right now.

OK, so it's a very solid album, better then I remember it being. I hate Start Me Up for 2 reasons: Over playing killed it and damn Microsoft using it for one of their shitty versions of Windows. Other then that it's not too bad of a song. I totally get what y'all are saying about Heaven. It's the flang on the guitar that does it. The sax is perfect in this. I didn't know this was made up of unreleased tracks. Some of them sound "older" for a lack of a better way of putting it and now that I know the history of this album, it makes sense.

Crispy- I'm shocked you went with TSM's. Please note heavy tones of sarcasm. Excellent choice btw. It is indeed the choice album out of their 3.

mjk73

Quote from: wolof7 on Aug 31, 2011, 09:58 PM
YIKKKKKKESSSSSS
:D 8) ??? :embarassed: :thumbsup: ;D
The Rolling Stones Worried About You 1981.
What was the directions from the director shooting this? "Mick, make sure you look uniterested and pretend to over enunciate every word. Oh you and Keef dance around like a couple of ponces." That was some kind of awful.

mahg33ta

So, interesting choice for 1st album in the Listening Group.   I've never been a Rolling Stones fan for some reason.   On any list of "best bands of all time", the biggest discrepancy between me and that reviewer will likely be the Rolling Stones.  My friend and music buddy Sean says it's my biggest mis-evaluation and is always pushing me to keep trying.   But shit after 30 years of listening to them, not sure it's going to happen.

One of the reasons I don't like them is that I find them repetitive – pretty simple riffs and chord progressions played over and over.   Start Me Up is a good example.  Hang Fire is another.   Part of the issue may be the overplayed nature of some of these songs – I enjoyed many of the less familiar songs much more.... Slave, although pretty vocally repetitive, had some great keys, sax, and bass througout and I was totally digging it.

Some of these songs feel like they were written and recorded in an hour.   Maybe that's the appeal of loose, off-the-cuff rock n roll, but for me it's just dull.   Something I expect a bar band to play.   Little T&A - The lyrics are cringe-worthy.   Neighbors – I was pretty bored within a minute, until the sax kicked in.      Worried about you seemed musically like a poor mans You Cant Always Get what You Want.

The most enjoyable run was Tops – Heaven – No Use – dug all those songs.   

Sorry to be kinda negative.   I won't always be, I promise (I tried to be open minded!!) 

wolof7

No reason to apologize g33tah, its all subjective anyhow, we got 19 more weeks of Album clubs too, I'm assuming we will not like em all but the fun is in the discoveries!