Joni Mitchell, James Taylor, & Phil Ochs 1970 Amchitka Benefit Show

Started by woodnymph, Sep 04, 2011, 11:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodnymph

This right here is a dream come true...

Greenpeace co-founder Irving Stowe decided that the only way that his Vancouver-based Don't Make a Wave Committee could raise enough money to send a ship to protest nuclear bomb testing was to hold a rock concert. Stowe was a lawyer, a music lover, a visionary and a father...but he had never organized a rock concert.

On October 16th 1970, Joni Mitchell, James Taylor and Phil Ochs played for free to a packed house, delivering brilliant performances and making history.

It's all captured on a two-disc CD complete with a 48-page booklet of never-before-seen, candid black and white photos of the concert, and photos of the Amchitka voyage and modern-day Greenpeace.

Amchitka, the 1970 concert that launched Greenpeace offers you the live vibe and nuance of the concert that changed the course of social activism for peace and the environment.

Funds raised that night sent a boat renamed the Greenpeace to Amchitka Island in the Aleutians on the southern tip of Alaska to protest a series of underground nuclear bomb tests by the U.S. government. Greenpeace was born and the test series was canceled as a direct result of Greenpeace bearing witness and alerting the world.

http://www.amchitka-concert.com/

Joni & James are two of my favorite artists, and I'm sure I'll be learning more about Phil Ochs...... the samples sound so beautiful, and the message and story are rather touching!!!

This isn't from the Amchitka show, but another show from 1970 of Joni & James, at the Royal Albert Hall

James Taylor & Joni Mitchell - You Can Close Your Eyes (John Peel Session)
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

johnnYYac

This looks really cool, Jen.  Thanks for sharing your discovery. 
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

woodnymph

Glad you think so too, John!  I really wish they put this show on vinyl  8)  Hope I can get this in the next few weeks though, I must squeeze it in the budget!!!

johnnYYac

I love the fact that music helped launch Greenpeace, love history and music colliding.  I also love JT.  His shows seemed to always fill gaps between Grateful Dead and Jerry G. Band shows during my college days in New England in the '80s.  If I ever start getting paid this year, I'll pick this up.  Teachers do get a couple of months off in the summer, but it ain't no paid vacation.  That and my heating oil pre-buy is killing me.

woodnymph

One of my favorite Joni shows, now all condensed to one page of amazing video, and in order, to boot!

http://thesixtiesarchive.blogspot.com/2010/12/joni-mitchell-live-in-concert-shepherds.html

Also a great resource for some Neil, James Taylor, Phil Ochs, and Simon + Garfunkel

johnnYYac

Quote from: woodnymph on Sep 05, 2011, 08:47 AM
Glad you think so too, John!  I really wish they put this show on vinyl  8)  Hope I can get this in the next few weeks though, I must squeeze it in the budget!!!
I actually got 3 copies!  It was a deal to get 3 for the price of 2, but its shipped from Canada, which was pricey.  One's for me, one for my Mom.  You want the third one, Woody?

woodnymph

Quote from: johnnYYac on Oct 14, 2011, 01:33 PM
Quote from: woodnymph on Sep 05, 2011, 08:47 AM
I actually got 3 copies!  It was a deal to get 3 for the price of 2, but its shipped from Canada, which was pricey.  One's for me, one for my Mom.  You want the third one, Woody?

Hey whoa!!!  Well shucks!  Sendin' ya a PM now!!   :o

woodnymph

This. is. AMAZING!!!!   John I really can't thank you enough!!  I can't wait to find something great to repay ya with!!  I owe ya BIG TIME!!!  Have had this on repeat and have spun off into Folk land again ever since first listening to it  8)  Thanks one million times and more  *big hug!!!*

And this I just freaking can't get over:
Neil Young - Sweet Joni