Bands are under My Morning Jacket's spell

Started by vwxg14a, Jun 30, 2010, 11:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vwxg14a

Pops, Langerado, Lollapalooza, RCMH, Miami Beach, MSG, St Aug, T5.

jones

capt. scotty

we are the innovators, they are the imitators!!

dont agree with the Moondoggies comparison though
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

capt. scotty

Now Im really glad you posted this, because Futurebirds are pretty damn good and definitely are reminiscent of early MMJ  :o :)

You can even d/l one of there EP's for free here: http://futurebirds.bandcamp.com/
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

EasyRyder

"those first two My Morning Jacket albums have spawned a handful of bands clearly impressed by James' tender wail..."

nice touch, Jeffrey Lee Puckett :-*  I'm totally stealing that one...
"As citizens of eternity we ought to be without anxiety."

devinm

thanks for the post. look forward to seeing the future birds at one eyed jacks to hold me over until october

iLikeBeer

Just my opinion, but I always thought BOH's sound is more akin to Built To Spill than MMJ.

Maybe a mix of the two at the very least...

Ruckus

I agree ILB.  The only band that really seems to have taken a lot seems to be Futurebirds who I was unfamiliar with until this thread.  I have to really stretch to see the Avi Buffalo similarities as well.  They remind be more of Belle & Sebastian/Camera Obscura.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

capt. scotty

QuoteI agree ILB.  The only band that really seems to have taken a lot seems to be Futurebirds who I was unfamiliar with until this thread.

What you think of them? That EP is pretty good, and I agree theyre they only band (at least out of those listed) that really have a similar vibe to early MMJ.

moses malone

saw futurebirds recently and was a great show.  definitely an early mmj vibe there. but a bit more southern rock/drive by truckers sound in the mix too...actually a lot like the southern fried alt-country outfit that lazy journalists describe mmj as

ALady

QuoteI agree ILB.  The only band that really seems to have taken a lot seems to be Futurebirds who I was unfamiliar with until this thread.  I have to really stretch to see the Avi Buffalo similarities as well.  They remind be more of Belle & Sebastian/Camera Obscura.

They remind me of the Shins and Dr. Dog.
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

DaFunkyPrecedent

oh come on people...there are times in Band Of Horses songs where Bridwells vocals sounds IDENTICAL to Jimmy.
God damn those shaky knees.

FiddleCastro

Quoteoh come on people...there are times in Band Of Horses songs where Bridwells vocals sounds IDENTICAL to Jimmy.

When I first listened to Band of Horses, I wrote them off as a MMJ clone. I've since changed that opinion, but there's no denying Bridwell and Jim have very similar voices.
I NEEDED IT MOST WHENEVER tbh

EasyRyder

Saw the Futurebirds tonight in Birmingham...they're definitely worth their current ticket price. Nearly every member swaps instruments between songs, and they translate that familiar sweet southern reverb rock tone quite well. Great show...
"As citizens of eternity we ought to be without anxiety."