Forum Album Club #3 - Mandala, by Rx Bandits

Started by ManNamedTruth, Sep 14, 2011, 09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ManNamedTruth

I first knew of this band through a free punk compilation from probably ten or more years ago. They were a third wave ska band back then. Fast forward to a couple years ago when I was looking at a Bonnaroo lineup (never been there but always look at the lineup and contemplate going)  and to my surprise they were on it. I wondered what their music must sound like now to play a festival like this. As I suspected, they're music got jammier and incorporated elements of prog. They still maintain fast played punk riffs with sing-along choruses, creating a unique sound like no one else. I think when a band has talent like they do, they must have felt limited by the confines of the punk/ska genre. Mandala wasn't the first album I got from them, but I went with it because it has a big guitar sound, as they've phased out their horn section. .....And the Battle Begun, and The Resignation are also excellent and could've went with one of those. Enjoy!  :beer:

video for: Hope Is A Butterfly, No Net Its Captor (Virus Of Silence)
RX Bandits- Hope Is A Butterfly, No Net Its Captor
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

wolof7

Had no idea what to expect with this album....this album is deep!

I hear the prog-punk theme and its like hearing a whole new genre...

I'm on my second listen now and like it immensely better than the first...gotta credit to this band's musicianship...don't love the vocalist but these extended songs are really entertaining

love Hope is a Butterfly
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

wolof7

there is some machine gun strumming going on............. :thumbsup:

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: wolof7 on Sep 14, 2011, 09:28 PM
Had no idea what to expect with this album....this album is deep!

I hear the prog-punk theme and its like hearing a whole new genre...

I'm on my second listen now and like it immensely better than the first...gotta credit to this band's musicianship...don't love the vocalist but these extended songs are really entertaining

love Hope is a Butterfly

This one definitely took me a couple listens to like it, now I think it's my favorite. I think he's got a great voice, it's like Sting meets Jeff Buckley.

sweatboard

I like the keys to start to start this first song, it makes me feel like I'm falling down the rabbit hole.  It seems like Muse might be an ifluence in the direction this band took for this record. 
There's Still Time.........

Ghosts_on_TV

I've only heard a little bit of this band before. First song is good, kind of has a Minus the Bear sound going on. I dig it.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

sweatboard

I like the way the second song STARTS as well.  I think I like how this band starts songs and then I get annoyed at all the turns the songs take, and for a second week in a row the singers voice and lyrics are not my cup of tea.

ManNamedTruth

wolof7

Quote from: sweatboard on Sep 14, 2011, 09:34 PM
It seems like Muse might be an ifluence in the direction this band took for this record.

I definitely hear that but I like it a whole lot better than Muse...

...I believe that theres a middle track that is latin-ska sounding a la Mars Volta/Ozomatli which I totally dig....

interesting, like exploring your wine palette

sweatboard

I'm starting to feel like it.  I really don't think I am though. 

sweatboard

This third song has a little Mars Volta feel. 

ManNamedTruth

I like the turns they make, it keeps you on your toes. Great music to blaze and drink too.

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: sweatboard on Sep 14, 2011, 09:41 PM

I myself feel like they're a more accessible version of Mars Volta, with catchier songs.

sweatboard

I don't HATE it.  Some sections are really cool.

sweatboard

Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Sep 14, 2011, 09:42 PM

I myself feel like they're a more accessible version of Mars Volta, with catchier songs.

More accessible, mabey

sweatboard

So this fourth song "Hearts That Hanker...."

should have been called "Hey Look, I Found A Thesaurs!"

akin to perception
Unfurling psychic charts
slide the entropy
crushing coercion
Project the assertion
Undulate beneath your lusty lover
We catalyze disaster
Indoctrined assassin berate with the force-feed frea
tremble with trepidation
benevolent beauty fogged-up
besieged by the standard of being

:D

wolof7

liking his voice more as the songs go by....just starting to hear the jeff buckley claim on White Lies....

....for me I can't place how I would listen to this album....should prob really listen under the influence to gain different perspectives....it is an album that definitely keeps you on ur toes!

wolof7

Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Sep 14, 2011, 09:42 PM

Definitely....I love TMV but maybe can stand listening to them 2x/yr....but when I do it's all i wanna listen to

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: wolof7 on Sep 14, 2011, 09:48 PM
liking his voice more as the songs go by....just starting to hear the jeff buckley claim on White Lies....

....for me I can't place how I would listen to this album....should prob really listen under the influence to gain different perspectives....it is an album that definitely keeps you on ur toes!

I'm aided every wednesday night by a glass of wine and vapor pipe.

sweatboard

Quote from: wolof7 on Sep 14, 2011, 09:48 PM

I'm with you here brother, I can't figure out what context I would want to listen to this record in.  Probably in the middle of a bunch of dudes with dreads dancing their fucking asses off. .......... If I could manage to do it.