My Morning Jacket: 'We Love Guitars In All Their Shapes And Sizes'

Started by johnnYYac, Sep 17, 2011, 08:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnYYac

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Fully

SaraBananaBear

Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

johnnYYac

Holy Shit!  Small world...

The end of this interview-

Steve Carr, owner/founder of Carr Guitars, talks a bit about Carl Broemel.

"I met Carl thru MMJ front-of-house soundman, Ryan Pickett. Ryan used to be in a Chapel Hill band called Queen Sarah Saturday while I was in the Chapel Hill band, The Emperors of Ice Cream. This was in 1991 or so. Neither of us became stars though that is what the intent was! Anyway that is a bit of interest. I am glad he remembered me to introduce Carl to Carr Amps. Carl has three of our amps: a Slant 6V head and 2x12 cab; a Viceroy combo and a Rambler head. I think he is mainly using the Rambler and the Slant 6V together now. He was looking for a very dimensional thick clean sound, which is pretty much the definition of the Rambler! I have not met Carl that many times—about three—and he is a very cordial and humble guy. I like him and I like the band."

I was living in Chapel Hill in '91 and remember seeing Queen Sarah Saturday and Emperors of Ice Cream!  To think, 20 years later, Ryan's sound engineer for MMJ!

Here's a taste of QSS. 

Johnny Irion/Queen Sarah Saturday/ Seems

A live clip. 2 minutes in, Ryan (on the left) takes over with a nice guitar solo.

Queen Sarah Saturday -
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

smhoffmann02

Great article, John.  A good find.  Thanks for sharing.  ;)
Give me a butt load of reverb on this one - just pile it on.

buster douglas

Really cool article!

Unless I misunderstood the author's intent, I found it funny in the opening paragraph where he contrasts the R&B of Evil Urges to Circuital's more guitar rock anthems and uses "Remnants" and "I'm Amazed" in his analysis, easily the least R&B and most guitar-anthemic tracks on the album!  Maybe that's what he meant I'm not sure.

Anyways, the chimey sound on Wordless Chorus was created by a guitar?!?  Awesome.!