Main Menu

TOOL

Started by woodnymph, Sep 23, 2011, 09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaimoe

Quote from: DewieCox on Dec 20, 2011, 04:23 PM
Quote from: Jaimoe on Dec 20, 2011, 03:41 PM
I like Maynard and all, but where's the love for Adam Jones? He's the force behind almost all of the compositions and groundbreaking music videos. Jones is fascinating, unpredictable and holds menace and uneasy tension in his arrangements and guitar.

He's a certifiable badass!! Probably my main guitar playing influence.

Yeah, I wish I had the mindset to be influenced by Jones. I admire from afar. I'm too rooted in Townshend meets Muddy Waters with a sampling of brother Duane and Jack White.

DewieCox

Quote from: Jaimoe on Dec 20, 2011, 04:26 PM
I like Maynard and all, but where's the love for Adam Jones? He's the force behind almost all of the compositions and groundbreaking music videos. Jones is fascinating, unpredictable and holds menace and uneasy tension in his arrangements and guitar.

Yeah, I wish I had the mindset to be influenced by Jones. I admire from afar. I'm too rooted in Townshend meets Muddy Waters with a sampling of brother Duane and Jack White.

Plenty of room for them all I say. He's pretty well the sole reason I keep my high gain Marshall around. Man I just get such a kick out of playing along to so many of their tunes.

Jaimoe

Quote from: DewieCox on Dec 21, 2011, 12:29 AM
Quote from: Jaimoe on Dec 20, 2011, 04:26 PM

Plenty of room for them all I say. He's pretty well the sole reason I keep my high gain Marshall around. Man I just get such a kick out of playing along to so many of their tunes.

I guess I'm more comfortable with vintage sounds. I feel more inspired by Stooges/MC5 raw over clean crunchy Tool metal. I'm trying to devolve too, so I think I'll stick to admiring Jones.

The Ditchrider

Quote from: woodnymph on Sep 25, 2011, 12:41 PM
OK!  I think maybe I've solved my riddle...... someone wrote on Toolshed.com that they played Opiate at the Erie Civic Center, but played the Tim Leary quotes from the Salival version of Third Eye.  If so, thus would certainly have left a residual Third Eye feeling of having heard it.  Pun intended  ::)

All I know is my mind was permanently fucked from both shows.

I too was at that Erie show and they played 4 degrees that night too!  Best set list I have seen in my 10 or so Tool shows

woodnymph

Quote from: The Ditchrider on Jan 06, 2012, 05:33 PM
OK!  I think maybe I've solved my riddle...... someone wrote on Toolshed.com that they played Opiate at the Erie Civic Center, but played the Tim Leary quotes from the Salival version of Third Eye.  If so, thus would certainly have left a residual Third Eye feeling of having heard it.  Pun intended  ::)

I too was at that Erie show and they played 4 degrees that night too!  Best set list I have seen in my 10 or so Tool shows

Oh man you were there too!!!!  What are the odds of this crazy meeting of minds on this amazIng MMJ board??  Higher than I'd have suspected... LOVE 4 Degrees, I thought I remembered them playing it!!  Saw you like HUM too, just had them on again a couple nights ago.... Downward is Heavenward-- love them in the winter
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

Darkstarflashes

I love Tool!!! All of their music is great. 10,000 Days is the Tool album I listen to the most these days. It seems to hit me just about perfect when I need it. A Perfect Circle is pretty good, too. I got the new Puscifer album in December (on ear-x-tacy's very last day open), and I think it is inspired. I had only seen a couple of their videos prior to buying "Conditions of My Parole" and didn't really give them a full listening. This new album really grows on you. Maynard keeps busy, and I can't wait for the new Tool album!!!

Some of my favorite music, other than MMJ and Tool, (Pink Floyd, Rush, The Who, Neil Young, Todd Rundgren, Tom Waits, Pat Metheny, Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters, Miles Davis, Ben Sollee, Daniel Martin Moore, Dio, Black Sabbath, Ozzy, King's X, Kiss, Alice Cooper, John Mclaughlin's Mahavishnu Orchestra, Grateful Dead, Mike Oldfield, System Of A Down, Pixies, ZZ Top, Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Radiohead, George Winston, Santana, Queensryche, R.E.M., ... and many more).

MrWhippy

A friend and I caught the current Tool tour in Philly last night and it is absoultely amazing.  Anyone else planning on going to the remaining shows? 

If you are on the fence about going, I strongly recommend it.  It's a very different show than they were doing from '06 to '09, and even quite different from the mini-tour they did in 2010.  Some great setlist picks, too, of older, rarely played songs.

These mini tours the last couple years have been an amazing gift, as their show will likely be very different once the new record comes out.
My heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

bold992006

Just saw them Saturday in Boston...Incredible show....my mind was blown away!!

The Ditchrider

Quote from: woodnymph on Jan 06, 2012, 11:23 PM
Quote from: The Ditchrider on Jan 06, 2012, 05:33 PM

Oh man you were there too!!!!  What are the odds of this crazy meeting of minds on this amazIng MMJ board??  Higher than I'd have suspected... LOVE 4 Degrees, I thought I remembered them playing it!!  Saw you like HUM too, just had them on again a couple nights ago.... Downward is Heavenward-- love them in the winter

The Erie show was one of the best, I always joke that they knew I was there and played my fav songs which of course is ridiculous but I'll buy it.

Yes...I love me some Hum.  They still play really random shows in the Chicago area from time to time.  The summer I first discovered Hum was one of the best summers of my life....ah the good ole days!

Mr. White

20 Years Ago!
http://youtu.be/kKyTYE3f_ZE
Tool - JC Dobbs 1992
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

Mr. White

MrWhippy

Awesome, Mr. White.  Thanks for posting the vintage Tool!  I had seen the JC Dobbs video before, but not the other one. 

My first time seeing them was in 1993, and Maynard was such an unnerving presence.  It was also amazing to see their transition as a live band between Undertow and Aenima.  Next time I saw them was 1996, and their power as a live band had grown exponentially at that point.

I have loved seeing this band's evolution over time.  Like you could look at one of these early videos and then look at current live Tool video and it's hard to believe it's the same band, yet the progression makes sense.

Mr. White

Hello MrWhippy,
Yes, since YouTube started allowing longer videos a while back, many full concerts from all kinds of bands have begun showing up. My brother turned me on to Tool around 1996 or so. I love their stuff! I have all their albums (even got Salival off of ebay about 2 years ago) and videos. It is great to have so many shows available on the Internet now. If you haven't checked out huntingtonst1 on YouTube, you should. That is where I got these two shows. His YouTube page is http://www.youtube.com/user/huntingtonst1?feature=watch You will be overwhelmed!

APR

That was some great footage.  Granted Tool has been around a long time, but with relatively few albums, they have evolved a ton.   I agree with Mr. Whippy.  Their look, style, sound is so different but it's still so them.  Think of early Radiohead versus them today.  Also so different, but you can see the path.  Similarly, compare MMJ's TF versus their two most recent albums.  The best bands in the world evolve and change.  They are all incredible and creative. 

Reminds me of the Beatles...... evolving, changing, taking chances, and being simply awesome.

woodnymph

woodnymph

The Moon is in Scorpio. FUCKING TOOL!!!

Justify denials and grip 'em to the lonesome end
Clutch it like a cornerstone, otherwise it all comes down
Terrified of being wrong, ultimatum prison cell
Saturn ascends, choose one or ten. Hang on or be humbled again

Saturn comes back around!!!
Lifts you up like a child!!!
Or drags you down like a stone!!!
To consume you till you choose to let this

Go

The Grudge lyrics - Tool - Lateralus

APR

Maynard was just interviewed:

http://www.toolband.com/news/index.html

Tool is playing in Japan in May.  Hopefully that means something as far as activity in the summer.  The article cited the band's webmaster saying the album is about half done.

APR

MarkW

The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

MrWhippy

New Tool tour dates for March, 2014.  I don't think these coincide with the release of the next album, though. 

These are the first dates, and some more are expected, though this is supposedly a mostly west coast run, though there is a rumored date in Austin after the Mexico shows.

Mar. 4 Spokane, WA—Spokane Arena
Mar. 6 Portland, OR—Moda Center
Mar. 7 Eugene, OR—Matthew Knight Arena
Mar. 9 Reno, NV—Reno Event Center
Mar. 11 San Francisco, CA—Bill Graham Civic Auditorium
Mar. 18 Mexico City, MX—Palacio De Los Deportes
Mar. 21 Veracruz, MX—Festival Cumbre Tajin 2014