Forum Album Club #7 ~ Frank Turner - England Keep My Bones

Started by mjk73, Oct 12, 2011, 07:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjk73

Quote from: MarkW on Oct 14, 2011, 06:56 PM
Glad you guys enjoyed this one.  Sorry I missed it, but I was busy being English at a London Stock Exchange awards dinner at the old Billingsgate Fish Market.  Anyhoo, 3am UK time (and 9pm your time) saw me lurching through Picadilly Circus in black tie clutching a kebab.  Happy days.

This album is one of the best of the year for me.  I love Bragg, and I get some of his vibe from this.  Also seems to be some folk-punk (Men They Couldn't Hang, Levellers) going on too.

Finally, I love Glory Hallelujah as a closer.  I'm a pretty militant atheist; I mean, how many arguments and wars can you have over who has the best imaginary friend?
;D

sweatboard

I mean, how many arguments and wars can you have over who has the best imaginary friend?

:dankk2:
There's Still Time.........

mjk73

Quote from: sweatboard on Oct 15, 2011, 02:06 AM
I mean, how many arguments and wars can you have over who has the best imaginary friend?

Mark may have scored the comment of the year with that.

Ruckus

Yeah Mark, I didn't necessarily mean that there were too many similarities between Bragg and Turner.  It was more a nod to my love of Bragg's music and an my lack of knowledge in the realm of English folk/punk.  I didn't have much of a point of comparison and hence Bragg became that.

Let's hope this thread doesn't blow up into a digital Holy War ;D  I jus keeding

Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

MarkW

Quote from: mjk73 on Oct 15, 2011, 10:28 AM
Quote from: sweatboard on Oct 15, 2011, 02:06 AM

Mark may have scored the comment of the year with that.

Can't claim it as my own - I think it was Yasser Arafat...
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

capt. scotty

With a basic knowledge of what I was getting into with this album, I wasnt sure how much Id end up liking it. After a couple listens, I think it has a decent shot at my top 10 for 2011 in what I feel like is a kind of weak year so far, especially compared to last year. I cant really say much that hasnt already said. The bookends of the album are pretty fitting and well played, and overall I think the track order is great because you never get too many rockers or acoustic songs in a row which helps keep up the energy for the entire album and not saturated with 1 or the other for more than a couple songs. It wasnt as 'punk' as I expected, which was a good thing for me. I agree with the honesty that is apparent with the lyrics which allows FT to pull this off better than most. Although the album isnt short really (looks like about 45min), I was left wanting more by the end and thats always the testament of a good album. I'll have to download this mp3 folder somewhere so it can get more listens.

Favorite tracks: I Am Disappeared, Rivers, If I Ever Stray, Peggy Sang the Blues, Nights Become Days

Between Nick Drake and the acoustic songs here, I have an idea for an album for da club, although it wont be my first pick.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons