Comparisons . . .

Started by thebigbang, Sep 08, 2003, 02:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebigbang

Jumping into the fire . . .
I'm not bothered by people mentioning one band as a reference for the sound of another. Comparison is a very human way to communicate (and effective, if the reference is apt).  But perhaps the most obvious one of all to me has so far been mostly overlooked in the discussions, and that is Led Zeppelin.

Not because they sound like Zep, but because they have this enormous soundscape they use, just like Page, Bonham, Jones and Plant.  People who've never listened to a Zep album start to finish generally associate them incorrectly as strictly Heavy Metal. Any good Zep fan knows that they produced some of the most beautiful and delicately mournful music of the period: "Going to California", "Tangerine", etc.

And just like Zeppelin, MMJ manage to be very loud and thunderous without sounding "noisy".  People with lesser talents tend to sound "noisy" and grate on the nerves with repeated listens.  Even live, the Jacket, for all their enery and volume, do not sound noisy.

As far as experimentalism, well, many folks are. But only a few have the talent to turn that experimentalism into compelling music. Led Zeppelin, and the Beatles (who were the best at it) experimented with sound and came out on top.  I think MMJ may have the talent to do so as well. Time will tell!

Anyone else hear this?

Just a Heartbreakin' Man, doing a Victory Dance with Shaky Knees, along a Bermuda Highway

peanut butter puddin surprise

Zeppelin...yes!  

As a HUGE fan of all things Zep, I gotta say that is a huge compliment.  My younger days were spent obsessing over Presence and I and III and Houses of the Holy...hell, all of them at one point or another.

I do see what you mean about the experimentalism, and by the sound dynamics.  Loud doesn't always equal melodic, a fact that gets lost on so much radio fodder these days.

MMJ, of course, are loud AND melodic.  I remember something someone once told me about Neil Young:  he's tender enough to hold your hand and make you cry, and then rockin' enough to kick your ass all at the same time.

Sometimes I feel that way listening to Bermuda Highway, followed by a chaser of It's About Twilight Now...
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

otter

I agree.

Although, For me I make nearly that same comparison that you made with Zep...with The Rolling Stones. How can people not notice their use of Honkeytonk...

Evelyn, Easy Mornin'Rebel, Honest Man, and Heartbreakin Man all are (or at least in part)full of honkeytonk licks...

much like Zep...and...MMJ...the Stones have very rockin tunes like Brown Sugar,  and slow songs like Angie and Time is on My Side.

Granted Louisville isn't that far from Nashville...and that could be more where the honkeytonk comes from..but I still think they remind me (especially Johnny's playing) of Keith Richards and the Stones.

I certainly wouldn't make too many vocal comparisons, if at all...but I think the raw edge is very similar..

thebigbang

Well, now that I bought It Still Moves today and I definitely hear some Stonesy sounds, especially Dancefloors, and several other spots. More so than the previous recordings.

MMJ has a readily identifiable sound with Jim's unique voice. If he keeps wrapping it around strong tunes, someday we'll be saying so and so picked up that influence from the Jacket. It's gonna happen 'cause their that good.

One thing I think they  might be cribbing is Bonham's drum mic set up. A few weeks ago I heard a Jimmie Page interview in which he described how the drums were set for When the Levee Breaks; in the hall of a three story mansion and set the mic three floors above it. Knowing that, listen to the song and it sounds like it's in a barn or silo. And the effect is wonderfully suited to the song.

Also, Jim has an otherworldy voice as did Plant. So there are some close reference points.

Also, Jimmie Page was into the Dark Arts of Alister Crowley and John Quaid is into cowtipping, another dark art.

QuoteI agree.

Although, For me I make nearly that same comparison that you made with Zep...with The Rolling Stones. How can people not notice their use of Honkeytonk...

Evelyn, Easy Mornin'Rebel, Honest Man, and Heartbreakin Man all are (or at least in part)full of honkeytonk licks...

much like Zep...and...MMJ...the Stones have very rockin tunes like Brown Sugar,  and slow songs like Angie and Time is on My Side.

Granted Louisville isn't that far from Nashville...and that could be more where the honkeytonk comes from..but I still think they remind me (especially Johnny's playing) of Keith Richards and the Stones.

I certainly wouldn't make too many vocal comparisons, if at all...but I think the raw edge is very similar..
Just a Heartbreakin' Man, doing a Victory Dance with Shaky Knees, along a Bermuda Highway

my_evening_jacket

Wow, Johnny Quaid a cowtipper?!? :o
That explains all the Sabbath covers!
shake some action