Main Menu

MMJ at Wanee

Started by Spaztastiq, Jan 02, 2012, 10:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spaztastiq

Ironically I just saw the post for Coachella speculation. I'm a die hard SoS fan and Wanee is one of the joys of the Spring for me. It runs the same weekend as the second Coachella spectacle (April 19-21). So the debate would be Wanee, Coachella, or neither. A little birdie who nailed the 2010 lineup a couple years back on the Wanee forum has indicated that MMJ among many others that I didn't quite expect to consider Wanee are in fact projected to be at Wanee. Looking into it it seems real possible.

The NOLA Jazz and Heritage Fest, which is offering Tom Petty, MMJ, The Eagles, John Mayer, and The Neville Brothers takes place one weekend after Wanee and isn't too far from Northern Florida. These acts are all rumored to be doing Wanee, so I wonder if the fact that some of those acts are the first week and that some are on the second (MMJ is the second week) will make a difference in whether or not they will do Wanee and stick around in the South for their period of rest.

As far as Wanee and Suwannee Music Park go, the secret is out and everyone seems to be either throwing their own fest there or hoping to hop on with Wanee, Bear Creek or Black Water.

Last year Wanee had some awesome co-headlining acts that complimented the Allmans. Panic, Steve Miller, Robert Plant to name the big ones. We got spoiled with Panic in 2010 with 2 nights, and an epic show on JB's birthday last year. Our exceptions are high now. Last year seemed like a rather large jump in the fest's musical magnitude, Robert Plant and Steve Miller are not expected to return, and Panic seems like they will skip Wanee before their hiatus. The expectations of the fest this year are probably even larger, with The Allmans still going strong, I can't see people not wanting to get in on the magic that goes down at Wanee. The Eagles, Petty, and MMJ would serve as excellent additions the Wanee diversity, and I shutter to think at how many older folks will fall in love with MMJ.

Tom Petty is a Florida boy and Ivan Neville (Dumpsta Funk) could easily get his brothers to come to Suwannee. If the rumors meant all of the said acts or none, because Petty would fit in perfectly I'd bet in favor for all, including MMJ and John Mayer, where ever he fits in at Wanee.

If there will be crossover from Jazz Fest, then I really do hope Wanee works out for the boys. Why wouldn't Jim want to potentially have a sit in with Gregg? They did an epic show in Boca and to see them at Wanee would be beyond my wildest dreams. This would mean I hope they don't go West to Coachella. :)

Any opinions? Any Wanee goers?

NoVa_NoLa

Ooooooooh...this could work  =)

I've yet to attend Wanee, but have been to MagFest (once) and Bear Creek is an annual pilgrimage.

Will have to start snooping around for confirmation of any of these rumors...thanks for a much needed distraction today!  :)

Sweet Nothing

Quote from: NoVa_NoLa on Jan 03, 2012, 12:02 PM

I've yet to attend Wanee, but have been to MagFest (once) and Bear Creek is an annual pilgrimage.

Will have to start snooping around for confirmation of any of these rumors...thanks for a much needed distraction today!  :)

NoVa NoLa, since you have been to Bear Creek before have you heard of a small Florida band called The Burnin Smyrnans as they have played that festival a few times i think?

If it wasn't Bear Creek than it may have been Clawfish Festival, but when i did some searching it mentioned on their site that they played Bear Creek before.

Haldon

Even though I've lived in FL pretty much my entire life, attended UF in Gainesville (which is close to Live Oak), I've never been to this festival.
If MMJ happened to play there this year, that would definitely get my butt out of So. Fla and make the drive up.
I'd love to hear anyone's opinion about the festival, the campsites, and any insider advice about making a weekend of it.

Thanks.

Spaztastiq

Well, in '09 Wanee was my second camping fest after a helluva intro to the scene at Langerado '08. I had only heard about it from other friends well immersed in the festival life. Nobody I knew in SW Florida was really talking about it much. After backing out of Ultra Fest in '09 and having funds left over to do something different, I looked up Wanee simply because it was relatively close and my father had informed me as I grew up how great The Allman Brothers were.

I went to my first Wanee solo. Being new to the scene I hopped on the forum off the site and asked around to see if anyone would have an extra camper for the weekend. Not knowing how much of a family everyone is on the forum, I was invited by several folk, but settled in with a handful of great people and the experience was nothing short of magic afterward. I camp with them each year and bring my dad with me now.

The park is the highlight of the festival, each and every festival held there I must add. This is far from lot camping and even further from the type of atmosphere at a more mainstream festival like Roo. The worst part of the park is when you drive around and realize you have neearly a thousand possible spots to set up an awesome camp. You can opt to camp under canopys, in fields,tucked away on either side of the park or hell, in a tree if thats suits your fancy. Your sitting right on the Suwannee River, which  serves as an awesome ornament for the entire weekend. The beach is a happening area during the day as people bathe and take a cool load off. The park is pretty damn big. To scale the entire outter perimiter of the park takes a solid hour long walk, so golf carts, bikes and other acceptable means of moving on wheels are worth their weight in gold if you camp down by the river like I do each year. It is pristine and beautiful and during April the weather is perfect, all day long.

Another large part of this fest is the 2-Stge setup (NO REAL CONFLICTS). The Peach  Stage is a main stage and The Mushroom Stage, which sits among a ton of trees and canopy is more of a specialty area for smaller acts and the rivetting midnight shows which usualy produce an awesome fog that makes the surrounding area feel magical as all hell. THe Mushroom Stage is great because the many trees serve as hammock posts. People will set up their hammocks on Thursday and leave them up all weekend for others to sit in them when they are away from the Mushroom Stage. Nothing quite beats landing in an empty hammock for a nice relaxing show.

As I said before the atmosphere is far from that of a traditional youth infested festival. You will see an older crowd of awesome folk, large numbers of families with young children, good ole boys, hippies and a lot of other interesting types. This park rests in Bible Country Florida, it should be known that a few people are targetted each year by cops,my opinion regarding the people who get caught is they are either too loud, too messed up, or just decided to talk to the wrong stranger about controlled substances. My handle is Spaztastiq for good reasons, but I know how to keep what I do on the down low, I have never run into a problem with them, just use common sense like you were at home.

Wanee is a great fest for the music as well. Mostly dealing with straight up jam, southern rock and the little bit of reggae and electronic to add diversity. The Allmans throw down mighty when they do their 2 shows and in the last 2 years they have really brought it with the co-headliners. I saw MMJ in Boca for the first time after wanting to for some time, and I feel that they would mesh perfectly at Wanee. Them showing won't break my Wanee plans but if they end up getting booked I will go ape shit crazy.

Totally make Wanee this year, the fest is hitting a peak, and I honestly have been waiting for the dreaded announcement of Gregg taking an indefinite leave in the future. Once The Allamns are no longer doing Wanee I don't know what the fest could or will look like with Live Nation already gripping the fest.

Haldon

That was an amazing amount of information, all of it helpful.  I go ahead and go, even if MMJ aren't playing this year. 

tdb810

Wow, that's a fantastic write up Spaz! I vowed after Hangout that I am just tooooooooo old for festivals, but this looks super appealing!
.....Back at the Model Home

Spaztastiq

Its a good time for all. And with the possibility of Coachella and MMJ out, the chances for Wanee seem a tad bit better. I just hope the fest has considered them.

NoVa_NoLa

Quote from: Sweet Nothing on Jan 03, 2012, 02:03 PM
Quote from: NoVa_NoLa on Jan 03, 2012, 12:02 PM

NoVa NoLa, since you have been to Bear Creek before have you heard of a small Florida band called The Burnin Smyrnans as they have played that festival a few times i think?

If it wasn't Bear Creek than it may have been Clawfish Festival, but when i did some searching it mentioned on their site that they played Bear Creek before.

Hmmmm...The Burnin Smyrnans doesn't ring a bell, but for BEar Creek there are often a good number of local bands that play inside the "Barn" while other bands are playing outside.  I miss a good number of the indoor bands, but will be sure to check out The Burnin Smyrnans if they're on the schedule next year.

NoVa_NoLa

Wanee line up will be released on Monday.   :)

Spaztastiq

Quote from: NoVa_NoLa on Jan 11, 2012, 11:14 AM
Wanee line up will be released on Monday.   :)

Lets hope The Boys are on it. :D

Fully

No MMJ.

The Allman Brothers, Further, Govt. Mule, Tedeshi Trucks Band, Bruce Hornsby, Mickey Hart Band, Hot Tuna Electric, Ray Manzarek and Roy Rogers Band, Leftover Salmon, North Mississippi All Stars....

layin low

Hopefully one day. This is still a great festival. I've been twice, just an incredible time. Mushroom Stage is so cool.