Main Menu

Coachella 2012

Started by buaawwww, Jan 10, 2012, 12:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahg33ta

I do love Festival Announcement season.   It's a lot of fun to read through them all.

I agree that it was good not great.

Ghosts_on_TV

At the Drive-in, Refused, Godspeed and Radiohead alone are worth it, imo. I think its pretty great.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

buaawwww

Completely agree about Radiohead.  Always felt At The Drive-In was overrated.  I listened to 2 Refused songs... and holy crap were they terrible.

mahg33ta

public service announcement- live stream of coachella starting today-

lineup and times here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/coachella

MrWhippy

Anyone else attending? 

We are here in Palm Springs ready for weekend 1.  I will post short reviews of each day in case anyone else is interested.

I'm really happy with how the schedule worked out, way fewer bad conflicts than I was expecting.
My heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

Fully

Quote from: MrWhippy on Apr 13, 2012, 11:57 AM
Anyone else attending? 

We are here in Palm Springs ready for weekend 1.  I will post short reviews of each day in case anyone else is interested.

I'm really happy with how the schedule worked out, way fewer bad conflicts than I was expecting.

Have fun! And thanks Mahg33tah, for reminding me about the livestream!

mahg33ta

Quote from: MrWhippy on Apr 13, 2012, 11:57 AM
Anyone else attending? 

have a great time!  and I look forward to your reviews

MrWhippy

Here is a copy of the random, babbling email I sent my music geek friends about Coachella Day 1:

Honeyhoney is my favorite Coachella discovery this year and their set was great.  They seemed really energized by playing for a big and rowdier crowd than they usually do.

After really enjoying Other Lives opening for Radiohead, it was really cool to see them play a longer set.   Really interesting band.

We went with EMA over Yuck which was not very good.  It has some good guitar squall, but also tons of feedback which was hard to know if it was intentional or not.  Bailed early and heard a bit of Yuck, which I didn't love either.  Yuck is decent but not that exciting in my opinion. 

James are cool for having a singer that looks like he stepped out of The Road Warrior then bowl you over with sheer life affirming positivity.

Gary Clark Jr. is an amazing guitar player, almost like a bad ass blues version of Prince or something.

Girls have really stepped up their game as a live band.  Worlds better than the Coachella set Emery and I saw in 2010.  The backup singers are a great new addition and really flesh out their sound well.

Arctic Monkeys were really solid, but they don't keep my interest for that long. 

Pulp was by far the highlight of yesterday, just incredible.  Jarvis Cocker could make me gay, oh, wait, never mind.  We were right in front of the soundboard for Pulp and it was funny how many other artists were checking out the set from the soundboard.  I've never seen that before.

Mazzy Star was surprisingly good, spacey, and majestic, and much more captivating as a live band than I remember them being from when I saw them in the early 90's.

First time seeing Atari Teenage Riot since the early 90's and it's abrasive as ever.  I've never seen a band at Coachella lose so much of their audience.  Probably 2/3 of the people that were there at the beginning had left by mid set.

Opted to see Explosions in the Sky over the Black Keys or M83.  I like EITS but am not bowled over by it like many people seem to be.

Next biggest highlight of the day after Pulp was the Black Angels, probably my favorite set I've seen them do.  It was everything I like about them, just done bigger and better than ever.  They did a couple new songs, and the songs showed that they know what they are good at.   

Caught a bit of Refused and it sounded really good.  I didn't make their set a priority as I will catch them in DC in July

The Horrors were good but a bit of a letdown after the awesome set they delivered at ATP last fall. 

Had to walk by the end of Swedish House Mafia on my way out, boy do those doods bring the lazerz.
My heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

RADIOHEAD webcast announced for tonight at 11pm! fuck yes.

Jaimoe

I read that the Refused put on a killer Cochella show. How could they not? I'm all over their concert in Toronto in July. I can't believe they reformed.

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

40minutes until radiohead.

woodnymph

Long night and I'm late tuning in, but Radiohead wheeeewwwwwww!!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

woodnymph

Niiiiiiice Karma Policcccceeee

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

love the set, crowd is pretty lame tho:

set-

01. Bloom
02. 15 Step
03. Weird Fishes/Arpeggi
04. Morning Mr. Magpie
05. Staircase
06. The Gloaming
07. Pyramid Song
08. The Daily Mail
09. Myxomatosis
10. Karma Police
11. Identikit
12. Lotus Flower

woodnymph

Not seeing the crowd......entrancedddd...... LOTUS FLOWERRRRRRR

THANKS FOR POSTING THE SETLIST!!!!!  :D :D :D

oistheone

I'm not a Radiohead fan at all, but I gotta say, this performance is UNREAL! God, I love festival webcasts. Nothin' beats watching stellar performances while boozin' and burnin' from the comfort of my own home.

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

Quote from: woodnymph on Apr 15, 2012, 03:10 AM
Not seeing the crowd......entrancedddd...... LOTUS FLOWERRRRRRR

THANKS FOR POSTING THE SETLIST!!!!!  :D :D :D

bon ivor put them all to sleep before their set. 

woodnymph

GOddamnnnn....... yeah not enough heads bobbing or ARMS WAVINGGGG.... but they did get together and all sing a last round of "I lost myselfffff I lost myselffffff""

OH FUCKK@!K!R@

woodnymph

aaaghhhh I love There There tooooooo aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh