f--k entertainment weekly

Started by kyleschaffer, Oct 09, 2010, 02:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahg33ta

Drawing a comparison of the new Kings of Leon to My Morning Jacket!!!!!!!!!

That is a slap in the face to good music lovers everywhere. :'( :'( :'(

manicfanatic

What the hell does Entertainment Weekly  know about music anyway!!  Basically a f***ng gossip mag.
"We're the heirs to the glimmering world"

mjkoehler

Entertainment Weekly is still around?

tdb810

.....Back at the Model Home

TheEraser

I used to be a huge KoL fan...but their new stuff? Not so much. And comparing MMJ to them??? WTF?

Honest Man

Their sounds are miles apart from each other. Idiots. And the new KOL shit is way to commercial. Their old stuff is way better.
The fact that my hearts beating, is all the proof you need.

title song

QuoteI used to be a huge KoL fan...but their new stuff? Not so much. And comparing MMJ to them??? WTF?
yes. and yes... really enjoyed the 1st 2 KOL albums, the rest--not so much (yuk)...and comparing those bozos to mmj is ridiculous....

TheBigChicken

the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

My Morning Coffee

100% ridiculous...This is the type of stuff that needs to be pointed out to the public.  Not that EW had any credibility anyway...but how can u walk around on Earth calling yourself a music critic and then make a KoL/MMJ comparison?!

Pretty funny in a sad sort of way, lol

and I agree with a few on here that Aha Shake/youth young manhood weren't half bad KoL albums...but the rest is atrocious.
~ I ain't often right, but I've never been wrong ~

mahg33ta

I will dig up the exact quote and post tonight.

Clarkwork

"If anything, the group now sounds like a more ponderous My Morning Jacket, coiffed and calibrated to reach the cheap seats. That does lend tracks like ''The Immortals'' and ''Mary'' their own sonorous appeal, but as Sundown drones on, it begs for less melodrama, and more levity. B–"

Not really comparing them to MMJ.  Almost like saying a poor attempt at soundling like MMJ.

If you don't know for yourself, how could you ever know for me....

gardenparty

Not really comparing them to MMJ.  Almost like saying a poor attempt at soundling like MMJ.

this

Because of the Times was a solid album though

lil sis

Quote"If anything, the group now sounds like a more ponderous My Morning Jacket, coiffed and calibrated to reach the cheap seats. That does lend tracks like ''The Immortals'' and ''Mary'' their own sonorous appeal, but as Sundown drones on, it begs for less melodrama, and more levity. B–"

This is the context I got from that as well.  Maybe we shouldn't be so quick to judge lol.
"There's still time for you to change your mind or whatever else you do."

mlwar51

I just read that article while I was waiting to get my oil changed and I agree that the new KOL sucks but My Morning Jacket sounds nothing like KOL! Or wait KOL sounds nothing like MMJ! >:(
a kitten on fire, baby in a blender....

j_rud

"a more ponderous My Morning Jacket"

That literally makes my skin crawl. I can't stand that fucking band. I think they've sounded like a glossy MMJ ripoff for about 5 years. They're a completely fabricated band. In their own words...

"When we signed the deal [with RCA], it was just me and Caleb. The label said, 'We're gonna put you a band together,' and we were like, 'We don't want to be Evan & Jaron. We're going to buy our little brother a bass, he's a freshman in high school. Caleb will teach himself the guitar. Our cousin (Matthew) played guitar when he was 10. I'll play the drums, I played in church when I was little."

RCA wanted to assemble them much in the manner that boy bands were made, but they managed to take it just a few rungs down the douche ladder by bringing aboard their family members...who didn't play instruments yet. My inner music snob has really mellowed over the years but holy shit this band irritates the hell out of me.

Look at these guys. Thats not ponderous. Thats a fucking Hair Cuttery ad...
Say friend, you got any more of that good sasparilla?

manicfanatic

Quote from the latest issue of Rolling Stone in their review of the KOL cd.  "If Wilco and My Morning Jacket are vying for the title of America's Radiohead, Kings of Leon have-Bono's honorary green card notwithstanding-become our U2.

I also heard that KOL are going to be the guests on this weeks SNL.  Wonder if they will show up at any of the T5 shows??

"We're the heirs to the glimmering world"

johnnYYac

QuoteQuote from the latest issue of Rolling Stone in their review of the KOL cd.  "If Wilco and My Morning Jacket are vying for the title of America's Radiohead, [highlight]Kings of Leon have-Bono's honorary green card notwithstanding-become our U2.[/highlight]I also heard that KOL are going to be the guests on this weeks SNL.  Wonder if they will show up at any of the T5 shows??

I don't know KOL for shit, but JESUS CHRIST!  What makes these guys so special?  Reading everyone's posts, seems comparing KOL to anyone aside from Ke$ha or Justin Beiber, maybe Hanson, is a stretch.  Comparing them to MMJ- blastphemy!  to U2- Bono just puked.  I have some KOL, courtesy of forum members and torrent sites, but I can't find the time or inclination to listen.  Maybe I'm afraid I'll fall in love with them and abandon the forum.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

capt. scotty

QuoteQuote from the latest issue of Rolling Stone in their review of the KOL cd.  "If Wilco and My Morning Jacket are vying for the title of America's Radiohead, [highlight]Kings of Leon have-Bono's honorary green card notwithstanding-become our U2.[/highlight]I also heard that KOL are going to be the guests on this weeks SNL.  Wonder if they will show up at any of the T5 shows??

I don't know KOL for shit, but JESUS CHRIST!  What makes these guys so special?  Reading everyone's posts, seems comparing KOL to anyone aside from Ke$ha or Justin Beiber, maybe Hanson, is a stretch.  Comparing them to MMJ- blastphemy!  to U2- Bono just puked.  I have some KOL, courtesy of forum members and torrent sites, but I can't find the time or inclination to listen.  Maybe I'm afraid I'll fall in love with them and abandon the forum.

Their first 2 album are pretty great, Yac
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

johnnYYac

Their first 2 album are pretty great, Yac
Thanks, Cap'n.  I trust you.  I'll check 'em out.  Just became an ignorant snob for a sec.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

ynwa

i agree w/ the cap'n - KoL's first 2 albums were really good.  kinda rough sounding, like they wrote & recorded them heavily fueled by bourbon.  i loved them when i first heard them, which was right around the same time as i heard about mmj.  however, mmj has never been out of rotation while KoL has come & gone and come back again; only not as strongly for me.  

their sound has evolved.  the most recent albums have a more expansive & highly polished sound compared to the grittiness of their earlier stuff.  i prefer the grit (but i don't hate the polish):

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Su-PfHBuuV0[/media]  

"You have to be odd to be number one." -- Dr. Seuss