Main Menu

The Name

Started by touchingmept2, Oct 28, 2010, 12:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingmept2

My Morning Jacket.

What it means to me.

I think that they got their name from using a rubber the morning after you meet someone.
The time is near, to come forward with whatever killed your spark.

Schmokenvontoken

My interpretation is the name is derived from that cozy feeling of putting on your jacket in the morning, ready to bear the frigid cold, and conquer the day.  That feeling like there is still hope even amongst the chaos and against the current, just like what happens when yim unleashes angelic frequencies on your brain, letting you know that someone cares.  For me, I find not only solace, but social motivation when I hear their eclectic grooves.  

Long Live MMJ!!

Don't Let Your Silly Dreams,
Fall Inbetween,
The Crack of the Bed and the Wall... aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh!! : )
There will be Bigotry and Open Minds*
There will be days of Peace~
I hope you have the Time^

classicrocker623

QuoteMy interpretation is the name is derived from that cozy feeling of putting on your jacket in the morning, ready to bear the frigid cold, and conquer the day.  That feeling like there is still hope even amongst the chaos and against the current, just like what happens when yim unleashes angelic frequencies on your brain, letting you know that someone cares.  For me, I find not only solace, but social motivation when I hear their eclectic grooves.  

Long Live MMJ!!

Fall Inbetween,

Beautifully put

SaraBananaBear

QuoteMy interpretation is the name is derived from that cozy feeling of putting on your jacket in the morning, ready to bear the frigid cold, and conquer the day.  That feeling like there is still hope even amongst the chaos and against the current, just like what happens when yim unleashes angelic frequencies on your brain, letting you know that someone cares.  For me, I find not only solace, but social motivation when I hear their eclectic grooves.  

Long Live MMJ!!

Fall Inbetween,

I approve of this interpretation, good one :)
[ch9829] social motivation
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

e_wind

didn't jim say it doesnt really mean anything? I know this is about what it means to people individually, but i was just curious. to me, its a really band band name. i mean theyre my favorite band ever, but the name is just kind of stupid to me. just like the name of the song wordless chorus. love song, hate the name.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Schmokenvontoken

I believe he found a discarded jacket outside the scene of a fire with the inscription MMJ on it.  Leave it to Yim's brain to conduct some meaning out of that.  

All I know is, that Smookin' from Shootin' makes me wanna get up and dance out of the damn door and conquer the world.  I feel like if these dudes are giving their all to manifest music in such a way, and spreading the best of messages at the same time, that I need to goooo out and pay it forward and enjoy this beautiful gift of imagination, creation, and animation.  Like really, who is not committed to the present?  Why are they building in the past?  It's scary sometimes who some people consider their saviors and who really is your friend?  Who makes my decisions? Who reads all your thoughts? And finally, up there with floyd, dylan, beatle-esque simplicity in thought and statement.

what makes us how we are?
faith can't prove what science won't resolve
kumbaya my lord, c'mon row your boat ashore
the river's long. it is cold. it chills the body but not the soul.

When every you need a little motivation, feel the sound of your heartbeat pounding and imagine running from the array of bullets that Mr. Hallahan ejects from his drum pistols in between the chorus of Smokin' from Shootin while Jim garners up might from cosmic distances. And asks with a gospel-esque, call to arms plea...

"What've you been waiting for?"
MMJ = The Way
Changed my life.  The Monsters still haunt me, especially around halloween.
:'( :-/ :-? :-X :) ::)
There will be Bigotry and Open Minds*
There will be days of Peace~
I hope you have the Time^

SaraBananaBear

Quotedidn't jim say it doesnt really mean anything? I know this is about what it means to people individually, but i was just curious. to me, its a really band band name. i mean theyre my favorite band ever, but the name is just kind of stupid to me. just like the name of the song wordless chorus. love song, hate the name.

Well, this is some of what I've found about the name:

Interviewer: Where did the name My Morning Jacket come from?
  Jim James: I have no idea
   Interviewer: You don't have a story for that? Rolling Stone is going to want to know that, you know you gotta come up with a story!
  Jim James: I'll just go... [audience laughter]
(Bunbury interview, December 1999 (audio))

"I'd like to think that somebody's name was My Morning Jacket"
- Jim James
(CMJ New Music Monthly interview, June 2002)

In an interview with CMJ New Music Monthly in June 2002, Jim said that the name My Morning Jacket comes from a monogram with the initials MMJ on a stripper's robe found in an weird old bar (where a shady exotic dancing operation had once been) next to the arts building at the University of Lexington, that burnt down while he was there.

"My Morning Jacket, isn't that a brand of cigarettes?"
- Johnny Quaid
(Neumu interview, September 2003)

In the 2003 Neumu interview Jim avoids talking about the band name, saying that he could tell a load of bullshit about the name, but that he's not going to.

"There are just some things that are meant for us and there are other things that are meant to be shared with the public. Our name and the name of the studio is for us; the music is for the public."
- Jim James
(Neumu interview, September 2003)

In a 2007 Magnet Magazine interview, Jim told the magazine that the name is just a non sequitur he remembers scrawling down in a middle-school notebook.

"One of the reasons I've always liked the name is because it doesn't sound like anything at all. Nothing comes to my mind except, "That's kind of a weird name for a band [laughs]."
- Tom Blankenship
(JamBase interview, October 2010)

:)
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

johnnYYac

Quotedidn't jim say it doesnt really mean anything? I know this is about what it means to people individually, but i was just curious. to me, its a really band band name. i mean theyre my favorite band ever, but the name is just kind of stupid to me. just like the name of the song wordless chorus. love song, hate the name.
I love the title "Wordless Chorus", because the song has just that, a wordless chorus.  Far more literal than my morning jacket.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

title song

thought it had to do with a burned down building and jim found a jacket with MMJ stitched into it...i always thought it might be a nod to the tune My Morning Song by the black crowes?...who knows and who cares really?...here's to them and the idea of creating music together....

korief

Wordless Chorus is a great title. But I agree that My Morning Jacket is a lame band name, especially for the best band ever. I like to think they don't present a unified story for it because underneath it all, they know its lame too.

Its like if Radiohead had remained "On a Friday."

Sometimes I wonder what MMJ would name itself now...

touchingmept2

Hmmm...well seeing that none really knows the truth behind the name, and seeing that some people just find it horribly dishonorable, I'll go ahead and let you all know that I find it original and lacking importance. That's what makes them cool to me. It's not too outlandish of a name and not at all flashy.
The time is near, to come forward with whatever killed your spark.

The DARK

I have 2 ways of thinking about it...

1. The band experience is the thing that keeps the members going through the day, that gives them the "warm" feeling when they wake up in the morning... something that they can hold onto against the world. It's a sign that they love what they're doing.

2. "That's kind of a weird name for a band [laughs]."
- Tom Blankenship

;)
In another time, in another place, in another face

classicrocker623

QuoteWordless Chorus is a great title. But I agree that My Morning Jacket is a lame band name, especially for the best band ever. I like to think they don't present a unified story for it because underneath it all, they know its lame too.

Radiohead took their name from a Talking Heads song so I give more props to MMJ for originality.

wakebord

QuoteWordless Chorus is a great title. But I agree that My Morning Jacket is a lame band name, especially for the best band ever. I like to think they don't present a unified story for it because underneath it all, they know its lame too.

Rampant Badassery....duh

Tracy 3000

Rampant Badassery....duh

My Yorning Yacket
Jim brings all his love, passion, energy and mystery to the stage and says, "I'm right here."

woodnymph

Rampant Badassery....duh

My Yorning Yacket
;D ;D ;D
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time