Mark Lanegan - Blues Funeral

Started by MrWhippy, Feb 08, 2012, 06:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrWhippy

On first listen the new Mark Lanegan record is completely stunning. 

There will have to be some damn good albums this year for this to not end up as one of my tops of the year.
My heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

ALady

if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

dragonboy

Like MrWhippy said, this is a stunning piece of work. Mojo gave it 5 stars & stamped it with their rare 'instant classic' seal & I can see why...this really is an exceptional album!
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

dragonboy

There's not a bad track on the album, Ode To Sad Disco & Harborview Hospital are stunning...
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

mjk73

Pitchfork gave it a ehh review, which goes to prove they have no taste in music. I think it's brilliant.

Hawkeye

Just bought a vinyl copy based on yinz recommendations  :dankk2:

Lanegan has yet to steer me wrong...I haven't heard EVERYTHING he's put out, but I've yet to find any release I didn't like at all.
We could.

MrWhippy

Glad other people are digging this too.  I'm no less floored by it after many more spins.

Regarding other Lanegan projects, if you haven't heard Broken by Soulsavers, check it out, like, immediately.  I think Lanegan is a sometimes member of Soulsavers, but is on the entire Broken record, and it might be my single favorite thing he has done. 

I also absoultely love the Gutter Twins (Greg Dulli and Mark Lanegan).  The Isobel Campbell/Mark Lanegan record from last year, Hawk, was also really good.

Also, Mark Lanegan US tour in May.

EasyRyder

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

...thank you...

St Louis Elegy just started, I'm hooked. This is a great find indeed. Which of his other albums should I buy? Bubblegum seems weird but has potential, Field Songs and The Winding Sheet I think I might like judging by the youtube.
"As citizens of eternity we ought to be without anxiety."

Hawkeye

Can't wait for this to come.  As far as other Lanegan albums I have:

Screaming Trees - Oblivion
Whiskey for the Holy Ghost
Bubblegum
Scraps at Midnight
w/Isobel Campbell - Ballad of the Broken Seas; Sunday at Devil Dirt, Hawk
Soulsavers - ...the way you land, Broken
Gutter Twins - Saturnalia

I honestly like them all.  Any other essentials I'm missing?
We could.

EasyRyder

thx, Hawkeye. I'll get on it. He has a pretty extensive discography, not sure how I missed him for this long!
"As citizens of eternity we ought to be without anxiety."

dragonboy

Quote from: Hawkeye on Feb 24, 2012, 01:11 PM
Can't wait for this to come.  As far as other Lanegan albums I have:

Screaming Trees - Oblivion
Whiskey for the Holy Ghost
Bubblegum
Scraps at Midnight
w/Isobel Campbell - Ballad of the Broken Seas; Sunday at Devil Dirt, Hawk
Soulsavers - ...the way you land, Broken
Gutter Twins - Saturnalia

I honestly like them all.  Any other essentials I'm missing?
Uncle Anesthesia is my fav Screaming Trees album followed by Dust (I saw them live when Josh Homme had joined the band!) They're both worth buying is you like the Trees.

Field Songs is a great solo album & I really rate I'll Take Care Of You, his album of covers & traditionals.

Mark Lanegan - Little Sadie

Here's how I rate his work:

Screaming Trees

Uncle Anesthesia
Dust
Oblivion

Solo

Whiskey For The Holy Ghost
I'll Take Care Of You
Bubblegum
Field Songs
Winding Sheet
Scraps At Midnight

I only have Ballad Of The Broken Seas, like it but don't play it much.

I'm pretty sure that Blues Funeral will be my favourite Mark Lanegan album, I can't stop listening to it & am blown away with every listen.

buaawwww

The other Gutter Twins album "Adorata" should be checked out, and his work on the Twilight Singers albums... notably "Live With Me" on the "A Stitch In Time" EP... just fantastic. 

MrWhippy

I hadn't heard of I'll Take Care of You before you guys mentioned it here.  I just checked it out and really like it.  Thanks!

I also need to get my hands on that other Gutter Twins release.  I love Saturanalia.

buaawwww

OK well I just listened to this album front to back for the first time today... and personally I think it might be the best thing he's done.  There's no filler here whatsoever.  What an album!

MarkW

Arrived this morning - not heard anything else he's done, but this album is f*cking great.
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

Hawkeye

I got my copy yesterday but wasn't home until very late.  Most likely giving 'er a spin tonight!
We could.

ChiefOKONO

Love it!!!!!!!!
this guy is so good, can't believe he's still so under the radar.  maybe that's the way he likes it...

Sidus

I saw the Mark Lanegan Band live two days ago in Amsterdam. Good show! Fourth time I saw him live (solo/acoustic, Soulsavers and with Isobell Campbell), but this was the first time with this band. Played most of the new songs, with a couple old songs/classics (also one Screaming Trees song). New songs are great live, although some sound a bit similar. The played for approx 90 mins.  Belgian band Creature With The Atom Brain was the opener, and two of the band members (drummer and singer) also played with Mark Lanegan. Mark Lanegan was in great shape, emotionless as usual :P. The only thing he said was "thank you" (twice), which resulted in a cheering crowd :). "One way street" was a highlight for me, his voice really shines in that song. Beautiful song, one of my favorites :). I think I slightly prefer his softer, less rocking songs ("Field Songs"/"I'll take care of you" albums  :D). Pretty big crowd, sold out same venue as MMJ played recently (Paradiso, 1000-1500 people I think)

ONE WAY STREET mark lanegan

Setlist:
The Gravedigger's Song
Sleep With Me
Hit the City
Wedding Dress
Resurrection Song
Gray Goes Black
Crawlspace (Screaming Trees song)
Bleeding Muddy Water
Quiver Syndrome
Creeping Coastline of Lights (Leaving Trains cover)
Riot in My House
Ode to Sad Disco
St. Louis Elegy
Wish You Well
Phantasmagoria Blues
Tiny Grain of Truth

Encore:
When Your Number Isn't Up
One Way Street
Harborview Hospital
Methamphetamine Blues

buaawwww

Quote from: Sidus on Mar 02, 2012, 12:34 PM
Setlist:
The Gravedigger's Song
Sleep With Me
Hit the City
Wedding Dress
Resurrection Song
Gray Goes Black
Crawlspace (Screaming Trees song)
Bleeding Muddy Water
Quiver Syndrome
Creeping Coastline of Lights (Leaving Trains cover)
Riot in My House
Ode to Sad Disco
St. Louis Elegy
Wish You Well
Phantasmagoria Blues
Tiny Grain of Truth

Encore:
When Your Number Isn't Up
One Way Street
Harborview Hospital
Methamphetamine Blues

That is one hell of a setlist!