21 Questions with My Morning Jacket's Jim James

Started by NoVa_NoLa, Oct 28, 2010, 08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoVa_NoLa

Apologies if this has already been posted.

http://www.louisville.com/content/21-questions-my-morning-jackets-jim-james-music

This article appeared in the October 2010 issue of Louisville Magazine. To subscribe, please visit loumag.com.

My Morning Jacket returns to Louisville Oct. 29 for a hometown show at the new basketball arena. We going to hear some new material?

You betcha.

Weirdest place you've been recognized?

James Lipton from Inside the Actors Studio once recognized me in the bathroom at Late Night With Conan O'Brien. That was pretty surreal.

Coolest perk to being in My Morning Jacket?

I believe it's best that I do not share that with you here!!!

Earliest childhood memory?

A giant orange Easter bunny standing above my crib with sunlight pouring in behind him. He is just staring at me with all the power of god and the universe in his gaze. But I'm just a wee babe; I can't quite understand yet.

What song's been stuck in your head lately?

"Danny Boy," by Sil Austin.

Your drink?

Coconut water.

Best Louisville bar?

I only drink at home alone while listening to sad Eagles songs.

What film has had the greatest influence on your life?

2001: A Space Odyssey.

" __________________________'s Louisville" should be the next banner on the side of a building.

Not to be mean, but honestly, I don't like those banners. It makes it seem like the city is trying to prove something. Louisville is an awesome town, regardless of what famous icons are from here. Perhaps the banners should celebrate our parks, cool local businesses or attractions.

All-time favorite Louisville restaurant?

Zen Garden. It has the best-tasting (but still healthy) food.

Benedictine?

I hate cucumbers with all my body and soul and mind. They taste like dirty water.

All-time favorite Kentucky Derby winner?

I don't eat horse.

Favorite bourbon drink?

Coconut water with bourbon in it.

Derby or Oaks?

The RiverBats. I love baseball.

Who's somebody doing big things in Louisville and is flying under the radar?

I'm always preaching the virtues of Kevin Ratterman, the drummer for Wax Fang (opening for My Morning Jacket's Louisville show) and also one of the greatest recording engineers around. He is the lifeblood of our city's music scene, arguably our greatest musical asset. So much music would go unheard and unrecorded without him.

When you were younger, what did you want to be when you grew up?

I've always wanted to play music in some positive capacity for as long as I can remember. I enjoy playing live but have also been very intrigued by music and art therapy, especially watching my good friend Brian Schreck work with his music-therapy patients at Cincinnati Children's Hospital.

Public or private school?

I went to private school (including St. Xavier High School). But in hindsight I wish I'd gone public because I believe it gives one a more all-encompassing experience.

What tattoos do you have?

One is my guardian angel. The other is a face my li'l bro drew when he was three. He couldn't have any more cake — but he really wanted cake — so he drew a crying face on a napkin. I saved it for years and finally had it tattooed on my arm.

If Actors Theatre did a production about your life, what would it be called?

He Played With Food.

What's something nobody knows about you?

I love to play ice hockey on the original Nintendo.

Will you ever get sick of playing "One Big Holiday" live?

I hope not.

johnnYYac

Thanks, Nova.  He's an interesting guy, one minute serious, the next silly.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

AlwxanderD10

Awesome never seen this before,
Okay so this is seriously freaky. Im sittin on the couch just turned on my nes to play blades of steel (Nintendo hockey game), i decide to pick up my phone and see if there's anything new in the forum. I open this and what do i see?? Jim also enjoys some nes hockey!!!  :D i almost spit out my grape soda when i read that!!!

My Morning Tube top

Thanks Nova, the best part of this is I can put the face to the post I now know Nova! Have fun at Voodo this weekend, you really did hit the lottery and you really do deserve it!

SaraBananaBear

Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

searchinbig

So it's the orange Easter bunny we have to thank for all this talent?  
"Somewhere out there is a land that's cool, where peace and balance are the rule."

e_wind

I went to highschool with Jims lil bro and hearing that sory is strange. (as far as i know) they are just vastly different people. not in a good or bad way, just seem to have different interests. its really hard for me to picture him as a 3 old drawing funny pictures
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

korief

The Sil Austin version of "Danny Boy" that Jim mentioned in the article - the Terminal Five venue, it was the song that played immediately before they started playing... It is a fantastic song.

Bigsky

korief

Coolest perk to being in My Morning Jacket? "I believe it's best that I do not share that with you here!!!"

I have high expectations for the members of the band. I suspect that they are appreciative of their standing in music and popularity, that they are good guys who are friendly and respectful of one another, that they are  philanthropists and use their position to spread a message of love and tolerance. Its the music I love above anything and that won't change no matter what kind of guys they truly are. But to be a fan, and spend a high level of energy and money and time to follow their comings and goings, I want them to be people I can believe in. This response made me envision Jim post show, picking out groupies from a line-up and that image is disappointing. I hope he (and everyone else in the band) is not that kind of guy, rock star or otherwise.

My Morning Tube top

QuoteCoolest perk to being in My Morning Jacket? "I believe it's best that I do not share that with you here!!!"

I have high expectations for the members of the band. I suspect that they are appreciative of their standing in music and popularity, that they are good guys who are friendly and respectful of one another, that they are  philanthropists and use their position to spread a message of love and tolerance. Its the music I love above anything and that won't change no matter what kind of guys they truly are. But to be a fan, and spend a high level of energy and money and time to follow their comings and goings, I want them to be people I can believe in. This response made me envision Jim post show, picking out groupies from a line-up and that image is disappointing. I hope he (and everyone else in the band) is not that kind of guy, rock star or otherwise.

My thought was he was being sarcastic and elusive, I don't think he's cut from that cloth.

ALady

I agree - but it's funny how we default to that interpretation, isn't it?
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

danz

he's just upholding that mystic image i've come to appreciate.  i can't think of any other musician who's on that level

capt. scotty

Weirdest place you've been recognized?

James Lipton from Inside the Actors Studio once recognized me in the bathroom at Late Night With Conan O'Brien. That was pretty surreal.

hilarious yet badass at the same time
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

ChiefOKONO

title song

QuoteCoolest perk to being in My Morning Jacket? "I believe it's best that I do not share that with you here!!!"

easy francis, i think you might be reading a little too much into it?....

ynwa

i agree w/ the line of thinking that it's just jim being goofy.  that line could be taken so many different ways; which was probably why he said it.  he's witty like that.

trying to picture jim doing anything remotely resembling "rock of love" (or whatever it's called) behavior is impossible.  he's a better human being than that.  they all are, in my mind.  for some reason, the theme song from the dukes of hazzard just popped into my head  ;D

love the quickfire Q & A!

"You have to be odd to be number one." -- Dr. Seuss