Show your framed MMJ show posters

Started by bicyclejoe, Feb 11, 2009, 05:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erik26

Thanks for the link and vouching for them being good to deal with. Greatly appreciated.
The fact that my heart's beating,
Is all the proof you need

walterfredo

rusty95

Man I always thought the band's autographs on a poster would be really cool. But the more I see sharpie ink all over the artwork the more I think it kind of ruins it.  Does anyone else feel this way or am I just jealous none of mine are autographed?
Y'all got any disco ball back there?

oistheone

Sweet! That baby is majestic in its beauty. That's some mighty fine matte work right there.

ALady

Love the mat, fredo.  Looks good!
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

walterfredo

I agree Rusty, I've never been a fan of autographed posters, more often than not I feel like they detract from the art.

walterfredo

QuoteLove the mat, fredo.  Looks good!
Thanks! Framed it myself and love the way it turned out. Some kind soul hooked me up the poster (thanks again).

e_wind

hey dudes. whats the cheapest way to get frames. I have Louisville, Columbus, Nashville, Portland Maine, and App Voices posters and wanting to buy Chicago all from 2010 unframed right now.  I know its expensive no matter what but are certain stores or websites significantly cheaper? I want all plain black wood frames. I also want to frame my Forecastle poster because its a 30$ poster but its HUGE so I don't know if I will. I also want to frame my App Voices with the hand written set list from Jim with it but again I feel like that will make it extra big and extra expensive.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

johnnYYac

Quotehey dudes. whats the cheapest way to get frames. I have Louisville, Columbus, Nashville, Portland Maine, and App Voices posters and wanting to buy Chicago all from 2010 unframed right now.  I know its expensive no matter what but are certain stores or websites significantly cheaper? I want all plain black wood frames. I also want to frame my Forecastle poster because its a 30$ poster but its HUGE so I don't know if I will. I also want to frame my App Voices with the hand written set list from Jim with it but again I feel like that will make it extra big and extra expensive.
Well, I just went to Michaels- an arts and crafts store popular in New England- on my way home from the Portland show and scored 2- 11x17 frames and 8- 18x24 frames for about $100!  They had a sale where you buy one, you get the other for a penny.  These are black aluminum frames, no matte, with glass.  18x24 is the most common poster size, and the 11x17s worked for my signed Portland repro and a signed Evil Urges promo poster I have.  The bulk of my unframed posters are odd sized, so I've yet to get them done.  It seems each week, Michaels has some form or another of frames on sale.  Good luck!
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

e_wind

Quotehey dudes. whats the cheapest way to get frames. I have Louisville, Columbus, Nashville, Portland Maine, and App Voices posters and wanting to buy Chicago all from 2010 unframed right now.  I know its expensive no matter what but are certain stores or websites significantly cheaper? I want all plain black wood frames. I also want to frame my Forecastle poster because its a 30$ poster but its HUGE so I don't know if I will. I also want to frame my App Voices with the hand written set list from Jim with it but again I feel like that will make it extra big and extra expensive.
Well, I just went to Michaels- an arts and crafts store popular in New England- on my way home from the Portland show and scored 2- 11x17 frames and 8- 18x24 frames for about $100!  They had a sale where you buy one, you get the other for a penny.  These are black aluminum frames, no matte, with glass.  18x24 is the most common poster size, and the 11x17s worked for my signed Portland repro and a signed Evil Urges promo poster I have.  The bulk of my unframed posters are odd sized, so I've yet to get them done.  It seems each week, Michaels has some form or another of frames on sale.  Good luck!

We have a Michaels somewhere in Louisville. Thanks man
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

walterfredo

just a word about Michael's...if you have anything of any monetary of sentimental value I would highly discourage anyone from taking their art to Michael's (or hobby lobby, etc.), unless you want some clueless person getting paid minimum wage, with no training whatsoever to handle your art.  Years ago I brought a print into a Michael's (Chico, CA) and they literally sliced the print in half, nearly the full length of the print, and on top of that they just framed it up in the hopes i would not notice, which if course I did.  If you're just buying some cheap frames, that's one thing, but I would never let them touch my prints at any time.  If you have the money, a local experienced framer cannot be beat.  If you're like most, including myself, a professional framer is usually out of the question.  I do all my own framing, have for years and it can be very rewarding.  I don't cut the mats or build the frames myself, I order online and put it all together myself, I did the Tenn. Fire frame job a few posts up myself...the whole thing cost me about $125, would have been easily 3 times that if I took it to my preferred framer in town.  If you want to go with a nice black wood frame, and a black mat (this is how I frame most things) you're usually looking at $80-$100 if your DIY.  

See page 7 of this thread.  http://www.mymorningjacket.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1271781101/91#91

if you have any questions feel free to ask, I've framed a TON of prints myself over the years.  Good luck!

johnnYYac

Quotejust a word about Michael's...if you have anything of any monetary of sentimental value I would highly discourage anyone from taking their art to Michael's (or hobby lobby, etc.), unless you want some clueless person getting paid minimum wage, with no training whatsoever to handle your art.  Years ago I brought a print into a Michael's (Chico, CA) and they literally sliced the print in half, nearly the full length of the print, and on top of that they just framed it up in the hopes i would not notice, which if course I did.  If you're just buying some cheap frames, that's one thing, but I would never let them touch my prints at any time.  If you have the money, a local experienced framer cannot be beat.  If you're like most, including myself, a professional framer is usually out of the question.  I do all my own framing, have for years and it can be very rewarding.  I don't cut the mats or build the frames myself, I order online and put it all together myself, I did the Tenn. Fire frame job a few posts up myself...the whole thing cost me about $125, would have been easily 3 times that if I took it to my preferred framer in town.  If you want to go with a nice black wood frame, and a black mat (this is how I frame most things) you're usually looking at $80-$100 if your DIY.  

See page 7 of this thread.  http://www.mymorningjacket.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1271781101/91#91

if you have any questions feel free to ask, I've framed a TON of prints myself over the years.  Good luck!
I hear what you're saying, wf.  I went with basic frames and did the rest myself.  Of course, I love the look of a nice matte, and may invest in nicer frames down the line, but still felt $100 was a good price to pay to get 10 of my favorite posters behind glass and on the walls.  I appreciate the heads up, though, as the remainder of posters I have are odd-sized and may require some custom framing.  Do you have a preferred frame shop online to recommend?
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

walterfredo

That is definitely a deal on frames that you got.

I typically use either americanframe.com or pictureframes.com.  Pictureframes.com will send you an entire sample set of their mats for free! Both allow you to upload your image to their site, and then you can play around with frames and mats and see what looks good.  Keep in mind with mat colors, they often look different on your monitor than they actually do, so matching perfect colors online can be difficult (which is when having the mat samples is great)...not an issue if you go with blacks and whites.  Check out page 7 of the posters from this tour thread, that I linked a couple posts back, I think on there I linked a great reference page on expressobeans.com that takes you step by step on how to do a DIY frame job.  It can be a bit intimidating at first, but once you get the hang of it, it's easy....and fun!

Penny Lane

For the Terminal 5 posters 11x17  OR 18x24 ?

I want to get them in temporary frames right away but don't have a measuring tape.

JYac or HH, any ideas?
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

scosby2

Penny I wanna say that my frames are 18X24. I just got some real cheap poster frames  at Walmart for the time being until I can get them matted and put into real frames. They were like 12 bucks apiece

walterfredo

ALady

This is why we need a poster forum...

Everything fredo said above is poster gospel...I'd also add that if you take your poster somewhere to be framed, just say no if they offer to "drymount" it on a cardboard/foamcore backing.  Kills the value of the poster.

Archival materials, UV glass, etc. are also good ideas if you don't want the print to fade/discolor over time.

walterfredo

QuoteI'd also add that if you take your poster somewhere to be framed, just say no if they offer to "drymount" it on a cardboard/foamcore backing.  Kills the value of the poster.

great point!  Don't ever drymount a poster.  Any reputable framer will know to NEVER drymount a print.  In fact, most will make you sign a waiver if you insist on having it done.  

And I always use archival acid-free foam core and UV glass.  You'll thank yourself in 20 years.

ALady

Any reputable framer will know to NEVER drymount a print.  In fact, most will make you sign a waiver if you insist on having it done.  

And most craft stores (Michaels, Hobby Lobby, etc.) will insist that it's necessary.   ;D

searchinbig

QuoteI'd also add that if you take your poster somewhere to be framed, just say no if they offer to "drymount" it on a cardboard/foamcore backing.  Kills the value of the poster.

great point!  Don't ever drymount a poster.  Any reputable framer will know to NEVER drymount a print.  In fact, most will make you sign a waiver if you insist on having it done.  

And I always use archival acid-free foam core and UV glass.  You'll thank yourself in 20 years.

Agreed. Have them done professionally. I had a Jerry Garcia poster that I bought at the show(1987) took care not to even crease or bend it and then took it to be framed. I did not know the first thing about framing. Went to pick it up and they drymounted it. Saw it on the bill and did not think much about it. That poster goes for about $550 now but cause mine is drymounted, maybe half that. The reason is it's not in it's original state anymore.

Do it right, like the man says you'll thank yourself down the road.  :)
"Somewhere out there is a land that's cool, where peace and balance are the rule."