The Flaming Lips featuring Jim and more

Started by e_wind, Mar 20, 2012, 10:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

e_wind

don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Dillsnufus

As previously reported, The Flaming Lips are compiling their various collaborations from the last year or so for a special Record Store Day release. Today, the band formally detailed the compilation.

Available April 21st, The Flaming Lips and Heady Fwends contains 13 collaborative tracks, many of which are previously unreleased. In addition to previously-heard efforts with Neon Indian, Prefuse 73, and Lightning Bolt, the compilation packs new collaborations with Coldplay's Chris Martin, Bon Iver, Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, Nick Cave, My Morning Jacket's Jim James, Yoko Ono, Erykah Badu, and Biz Markie. Check out the full tracklist below.

The limited-edition album will be pressed on two high-quality, multi-color 12" vinyl discs, housed in separate custom art jackets and poly bagged together.  A press release states that no two discs will look exactly alike and cautions that this will be on the only pressing.

In addition to the compilation, The Lips have also teamed with Mastodon for a split 7" single as part of the Side by Side 2012 Series available exclusively for Record Store Day. One side features The Lips' Soft Bulletin track "Spoonful Weighs a Ton", while the flip-side contains Mastodon's cover of it.

The Flaming Lips and Heady Fwends Tracklist:
Side 1:
01. 2012 (feat. Ke$ha and Biz Markie)
02. Ashes In The Air (feat. Bon Iver)
03. Helping The Retarded To Know God (feat. Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros)

Side 2:
04. Supermoon Made Me Want To Pee (feat. Prefuse 73)
05. Children Of The Moon (feat. Tame Impala)
06. That Ain't My Trip (feat. Jim James of My Morning Jacket)
07. You, Man? Human? (feat. Nick Cave)

Side 3:
08. I'm Working At NASA On Acid (feat. Lightning Bolt)
09. Do It! (feat. Yoko Ono)
10. Is David Bowie Dying? (feat. Neon Indian)

Side 4:
11. The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face (feat. Erykah Badu)
12. Thunder Drops (feat. New Fumes)
13. I Don't Want You To Die (feat. Chris Martin of Coldplay)

This will be mine ... O yes this will be mine .
Gazziza My Dillsnufus

e_wind

The first track is blowing my mind as an idea alone

Fully

The title of #3 is intriguing me. I can't imagine how this is going to work without being offensive.

Dillsnufus

I;ll prob get up early to wait for this.
Gazziza My Dillsnufus

e_wind

Me too my friend. Definitely at the top of my RSD want list

Dillsnufus

Quote from: e_wind on Mar 21, 2012, 10:18 AM
Me too my friend. Definitely at the top of my RSD want list
it's gonna be hard seeing as it's on 4/21 but i'll do it.
Gazziza My Dillsnufus

johnnYYac

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

e_wind

evilurges86

very excited for this, thank goodness i came on here today! two of my favorite men coming together?! already found a store participating in this. Glad to be off work that morning  :thumbsup:
"Music was my refuge. I could crawl into the space between the notes and curl my back to loneliness"

Future Heart

Hear Jim James sing "you always want to shave my balls" in the new song with the Lips
http://tiny.cc/tyo8cw

...yes those really are the lyrics!

A full post on how this came to be is at http://psychexfutureheart.wordpress.com/2012/04/07/jimjamescollab/
Here's the full album:
1."2012 (You Must Be Upgraded)" (featuring Ke$ha and Biz Markie)
Kesha on "Flaming Lips and Heady Fwends" - "2012 (You Must Be Upgraded)"
2."Ashes in the Air" (featuring Bon Iver)
Bon Iver on "Flaming Lips and Heady Fwends" - "Ashes in the Air"
3."Helping the Retarded to Find God" (featuring Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros)
Edward Sharpe on "Flaming Lips and Heady Fwends" - "Helping the Retarded to Find God"
4."Supermoon Made Me Want to Pee" (featuring Prefuse 73)
The Flaming Lips: Supermoon Made Me Want To Pee
5."Children of the Moon" (featuring Tame Impala)
Tame Impala, Jim James and Nick Cave on "Flaming Lips and Heady Fwends"

6."That Ain't My Trip" (featuring Jim James) and 7"You, Man? Human???" (featuring Nick Cave)
are linked above – watch the recording sessions at Nick Cave and My Morning Jacket's Jim James Help Flaming Lips with New Vampire Songs

8."I'm Working at NASA on Acid" (featuring Lightning Bolt) The Flaming Lips + Lightning Bolt - I'm Working at NASA on Acid
Unedited EP version at Flaming Lips STEREO "I'm Working At NASA On Acid" (with Lightning Bolt)
9."Do It!" Yoko Plastic Ono Band on "Flaming Lips and Heady Fwends" - Do It!
10."Is David Bowie Dying?" (featuring Neon Indian) Flaming Lips and Neon Indian "Is David Bowie Dying??"
11."The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" (featuring Erykah Badu) Erykah Badu on "Flaming Lips and Heady Fwends" - "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face"
12."Girl, You're So Weird" (featuring New Fumes)
Official video The Flaming Lips and New Fumes - Girl, You're So Weird

13."I Don't Want You to Die" (featuring Chris Martin)
Chris Martin on "Flaming Lips and Heady Fwends" - "I Don't Want You To Die"

Follow http://www.facebook.com/TheFutureHeart and http://twitter.com/#!/FutureHeartDay for updates, behind-the-scenes videos, photos and details on every "Heady Fwends" track.