First Concert Ever Attended

Started by mind at large, Sep 06, 2012, 02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iLikeBeer

Simple Minds at the Cleveland Agora in May of 1983! 

smhoffmann02

1984 - I was 13.  The Jackson's - The Victory Tour.  AMAZEBALLS.  :cheesy:
Give me a butt load of reverb on this one - just pile it on.

Crispy

Pat Metheny Group, McNichols Arena, Denver, 1985(?)
More embarrassing is that I was 16 years old before I ever went to a not-classical-music concert! Shit, does jazz fusion count?

VC, Jealous of those John Denver shows, and that afternoon delight.  :thumbsup:
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

iLikeBeer

Quote from: Crispy on Sep 06, 2012, 05:34 PM
Pat Metheny Group, McNichols Arena, Denver, 1985(?)
More embarrassing is that I was 16 years old before I ever went to a not-classical-music concert! Shit, does jazz fusion count?

VC, Jealous of those John Denver shows, and that afternoon delight.  :thumbsup:

Speaking of being 16, I also remember the first concert I went to where I could actually drive!  It was Guadalcanal Diary in Cleveland, 1988.  I remember driving up in my friend's mom's minivan.  A van full of white suburban dudes driving around in a freaking minivan lost in East Cleveland and afraid to pull over to ask for directions...  :grin:  We did eventually make it to the show unharmed.   :tongue:

Shug

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Sep 06, 2012, 04:01 PM
A Day of Rock N' Roll ~ June 10th, 1979 ~ Louisiana Superdome  for $12.50!
Boston ~ Van Halen ~ Heart ~ Blue Oyster Cult ~ Sammy Hagar ~ Nazareth

Holy shit, that looks good!  Hell, yeah Van Halen was a great rock band in their early years!  All of those bands were really good, in my book.  But I'm a freak for 70s rock, its what I love the most.
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

vespachick

Quote from: Fully on Sep 06, 2012, 04:20 PM
Quote from: vespachick on Sep 06, 2012, 02:55 PM
1. John Denver, Universal Amphitheater - August, 1974
2. John Denver, The Fabulous Forum - May, 1975
3. John Denver, The Fabulous Forum - May, 1978 (w/The Starland Vocal Band!)

C'mon, who doesn't love a little Afternoon Delight? :bath:
Wow, Amy. You were really into Denver as a kid.

Sigh, you know what? I JUST realized that my mom (who obv was the mega-fan back in the 70's and was why I was there in the first place) was younger then than I am now. Still, I must admit, I looooove me some JD!

My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

Fully

He was always a good listen for me, Vespa

Northern Neighbour

I think my first concert was the Philosopher Kings, a now-defunct Canadian band, back in 1994.

Ruckus

10/27/91 - Van Halen w/Alice and Chains
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Fully

Quote from: Ruckus on Sep 07, 2012, 09:40 AM

This makes me sad. By then, Van Halen was a sad shell of their former selves. You deserved to see them in their prime.

iLikeBeer

Please tell me you went because of the opener!   :tongue:

Ruckus

Quote from: iLikeBeer on Sep 07, 2012, 09:58 AM

Nope, although that was around when Man in the Box came out and my older brother and I would stay up every weekend to watch Headbangers' Ball.  I always found the great guitar based music of the early nineties to be way too depressing for me.  I was too happy to be brought down by all this "Seattle" stuff.  I was a huge Van Hagar fan in my early teens.  I was just 13 when I saw this and it blew my mind.  It started a year of all things Van Halen fandom including of course the old stuff.  I think the ladies at Googamooga and fiddle can attest to my old Van Halen love :grin:
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

johnnYYac

My first concert was Aerosmith in 1983, during the lowest point in their existence.  They played a small hometown show of sorts, in Concord, NH.  Sort of a dress rehearsal for their tour.  Steven Tyler was trashed, carrying around a bottle of Jack, spit on the front row, and constantly stumbed across the stage.  It was awesome!   

My second show?  David Gilmour in Boston 1984!

Third show?  Grateful Dead, Worcester, 1984!

The rest is history...
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Devil Ledbetter

Quote from: johnnYYac on Sep 07, 2012, 11:16 AM
My first concert was Aerosmith in 1983, during the lowest point in their existence.  They played a small hometown show of sorts, in Concord, NH.  Sort of a dress rehearsal for their tour.  Steven Tyler was trashed, carrying around a bottle of Jack, spit on the front row, and constantly stumbed across the stage.  It was awesome!   

The rest is history...
Seeing Aerosmith and Ted Nugent were annual events for me and my friends throughout high school. Both played at The Saginaw Civic Center every year back then. Funny, I would not walk across the street to see either of them now.

David Gilmour.  :cheesy:
We understand it's the '90s.

headhunter

I saw the Beach Boys in the early 1970s when I was away at Sleep-away camp and my family took us to a Hall & Oates show in the mid-197's but the first concert I ever attended with friends and "no chaperone" was seeing the Electric Light Orchestra in 1978 at Madison Square Garden during the Out of the Blue tour.

That was the first of many many shows at MSG.
was some shakin' and some record playin'

headhunter

Quote from: Devil Ledbetter on Sep 07, 2012, 11:22 AM

The rest is history...
Seeing Aerosmith and Ted Nugent were annual events for me and my friends throughout high school. Both played at The Saginaw Civic Center every year back then. Funny, I would not walk across the street to see either of them now.

David Gilmour.  :cheesy:

Funny, I also saw Ted Nugent in the late 70's at MSG (on the Cat Scratch Fever tour)- was given a free ticket.
You couldn't pay me enough to see Ted Nugent today.

(I also saw Aerosmith at MSG and Pink Floyd several times there as well).  I've also seen both Gilmour & Roger Waters solo a few times since the breakup.
was some shakin' and some record playin'

e_wind

Of my choice or that I can remember: Metallica when I was in Middle school.  :evil:
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Shug

The rest is history...

As we discussed somewhere else, johnny, I saw that Aerosmith tour, too.  They played like 30 minutes before it was clear Tyler was too drunk to continue.  Dio, the opener, blew them away.

I also saw that Gilmour About Face tour and it was frickin' rad!  Chris Slade beating the shit out of the drums, Pino Palladino on bass, horns and back up singers and Gilmour's impeccable guitar tone, playing all those great songs from his second solo album.  And it was in a (relatively, for Pink Floyd guys) small venue, San Diego Open Air Theater.

Unfortunately, I didn't see the Grateful Dead until 1987 (Dylan/Dead Anaheim Stadium), wished I would've started sooner, but things happen when they are supposed to, I guess.
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

MarkW

Iron Maiden on the Killer tour in 1981 at the Ipswich Gaumont.

EDIT: Wikipedia tells me it was 17 February 1981, and that the gig was the first night of the tour (Paul DiAnno's last tour as vocalist).

I was 12, and my friend and I went together; his mother drove us there and sat at the back with some earplugs, a book and a torch.  I headbanged so hard I couldn't move my neck for a week.  :thumbsup:
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

armando

Quote from: Ruckus on Sep 07, 2012, 10:05 AM
Quote from: iLikeBeer on Sep 07, 2012, 09:58 AM

Nope, although that was around when Man in the Box came out and my older brother and I would stay up every weekend to watch Headbangers' Ball.  I always found the great guitar based music of the early nineties to be way too depressing for me.  I was too happy to be brought down by all this "Seattle" stuff.  I was a huge Van Hagar fan in my early teens.  I was just 13 when I saw this and it blew my mind.  It started a year of all things Van Halen fandom including of course the old stuff.  I think the ladies at Googamooga and fiddle can attest to my old Van Halen love :grin:

Speaking of Van Halen, my first concert was Kool & The Gang back in 81 or 82. (Kool & The Gang opened for VH on their 2012 tour.) "Get Down On It" and all that.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.