The new Band of Horses

Started by wolof7, Sep 21, 2012, 06:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolof7

Mirage Rock

....just can't get behind it...

...it's not a good album right?

I thought they couldn't drop further from Infinite Arms but they have...

Their first 2 albums were great tho

anyone with me on this?
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

exist10z

After Infinite Arms, which while not terrible or offensive, was pretty mediocre, this album isn't even on my radar.  A lot of great music out this week (Grizzly Bear, Menomena) and two of three live Wiltern sets released so far, no shortage of music to enjoy.  Although honestly, I doubt I would have checked it out even if it were a dry week for new music.

Yes, I also enjoyed the first two albums...
Sisyphus - Just rollin' that rock up the hill, and hoping it doesn't crush me on the way back down..

APR

Quote from: wolof7 on Sep 21, 2012, 06:35 PM
Mirage Rock

....just can't get behind it...

...it's not a good album right?

I thought they couldn't drop further from Infinite Arms but they have...

Their first 2 albums were great tho

anyone with me on this?

I am with you 100%.  Couldn't have said it better myself.

Ob1jacobe

I don't get it.   I Love the first two.  Thought infinite arms a disappointment.  Was keeping fingers crossed for a bounce back and it did not happen.

I am so thankful that the new Grizzly Bear is awesome.

ManNamedTruth

I thought it sounded pretty good after one listen. The Avett Brothers album honestly disappointments me more.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

johnnYYac

I'm awaiting the new album to arrive but hope I disagree with most of you. I definitely liked their first two more than the previous release but, like with MMJ, can't expect the same album every two years. But I'll buy any album from a band whose frontman constantly refers to MMJ as "the best band in the world!".
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

e_wind

Quote from: johnnYYac on Sep 23, 2012, 07:56 AM
I'm awaiting the new album to arrive but hope I disagree with most of you. I definitely liked their first two more than the previous release but, like with MMJ, can't expect the same album every two years. But I'll buy any album from a band whose frontman constantly refers to MMJ as "the best band in the world!".

I'm gonna start making music, at least one person will buy my albums.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

johnnYYac

Quote from: e_wind on Sep 23, 2012, 11:02 AM
Quote from: johnnYYac on Sep 23, 2012, 07:56 AM

I'm gonna start making music, at least one person will buy my albums.
What took you so long?  You know what I mean.  Watch Bridwell during Isn't It A Pity on Red Rocks 2012 night 2 in jaw-dropping awe of Jim. 

And, yeah, Eric, you make an album and I'll buy it. 

e_wind

Yeah, I'm just being an ass. I don't like BoH's music, but I gained a liking for them as people over seeing them so many times since MSG last year.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

headhunter

Not a fan of this one from B of H.  Their weakest release imo.
was some shakin' and some record playin'

APR

For the record, when B of H opened for Pearl Jam in 2010, Ben came out for a song during PJ's encore (All Along the Watchtower in Newark) and announced that PJ was the best band.  Eddie came out during their opening set as well.  Ben was in awe then.

B of H's first two albums are fantastic.

Ghosts_on_TV

I like the new one a lot.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

davymac

I haven't listened to the new one, but everything all the time is a great album

johnnYYac

Well, the vinyl arrived at work (no turntable) but the download code won't work, so...  :angry:

Penny Lane

disappointing album...

hoping Avetts is good! haven't heard yet..
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

iLikeBeer

I hate to say, but I haven't been blown away by the new album either.  Granted, I haven't had a chance to listen to the whole thing all the way through yet, and there are several songs I think will grow on me, but there are also a lot of songs that left me feeling meh...

I'm not giving up on this record, as I've experienced with many albums that the more you listen to it, the more it grows on you...   :beer:

Come Closer

I like it overall, only a few clunkers for me. I enjoy the second half more than the first half.

The Green Kingdom

I'm a BOH fan, but I will admit that it's their weakest record. I do like it though other than a couple tracks. Disc 2 of the bonus edition is actually really good, a little rawer-sounding to me. They probably could have swapped out a couple of the bonus tracks and the album tracks and had a stronger album overall...

Rufus T. Firefly

It's awful IMO. They have lost both their "indie" and "alt" status. Gone are Bridwells distinctive vocals and soul.

This is a collection of songs that could have been written by any band and played on any mainstream radio station, a commercial sellout.

It sounds like there are plenty of people in agreement so maybe they'll get the message.

And I was so looking forward to it.

Ob1jacobe

Quote from: Rufus T. Firefly on Oct 02, 2012, 01:18 PM
It's awful IMO. They have lost both their "indie" and "alt" status. Gone are Bridwells distinctive vocals and soul.

This is a collection of songs that could have been written by any band and played on any mainstream radio station, a commercial sellout.

It sounds like there are plenty of people in agreement so maybe they'll get the message.

And I was so looking forward to it.

Sounds like you think they pulled a Kings of Leon.  I would not go that far but really hope they see the feedback from fans, take some time off, and then return to form.   Unfortunately I think this album will be a big commercial success and the band will only continue down this path.  I truly love the first two albums and will hold out hope.