Looking to PARTY in Port Chester

Started by KingofKong, Oct 12, 2012, 05:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smhoffmann02

Did someone say party?  I love to party.  Oh wait, I won't be there.  Boo hiss.  :undecided:
Give me a butt load of reverb on this one - just pile it on.

Fully

Quote from: smhoffmann02 on Oct 16, 2012, 11:49 AM
Did someone say party?  I love to party.  Oh wait, I won't be there.  Boo hiss.  :undecided:
It's ok. I'll call you so you can hear us.

Fully

Here's an article about restaurants near the Capitol Theater:
http://food.lohudblogs.com/2012/08/31/restaurants-near-the-capitol-theatre-in-port-chester/

A whole lot of music fans are about to hit Port Chester, and chances are they'll be hungry.
It's no secret that the village has a remarkable variety of restaurants. Port Chester calls itself the restaurant capital of Westchester, and has every right to.
While you've no doubt heard about Mario Batali'sTarry Lodge and Godfrey Polistina's Arrosto, I'm planning on exploring the lesser known restaurants in the village, particularly the ethnic ones. This will take a while, with seven places specializing in Peruvian food alone. Big names have helped put the village on the culinary map, but lots of smaller establishments have no publicists and perhaps no website.
I cover Port Chester for The Journal News, and I've offered to help with the "research." Like Port Chester, I have an affinity for Latin American cuisines. As a traveler I've had the chance to try lulo juice in Cartagena, tamales in Costa Rica, coffee in Havana and, I'll mention my one and only regret, tacos from a little boat in Xochimilco, Mexico.
In Port Chester you can stay in travel mode, trying things out. The restaurants and markets cater to immigrant families with very specific tastes. Just one block up from The Cap, there's a row of three restaurants that always struck me as emblematic: a Salvadoran place, a very authentic Mexican taqueria and a restaurant with a Peruvian-Uruguayan-Argentinian thing going on. How many neighborhoods outside of Queens have a range like that?
Here's a quick intro, in time for the Dylan show. But I'm planning on regular updates, so write me at lrae@lohud.com to let me know what places you like, places you've heard about, or the kinds of places you're looking for.

Tortilleria Los Gemelos, 167 Westchester Ave., 914-934-0372
This place has serious, authentic, get-right-to-the-point tacos. As in Mexico, they come with doubled-up, soft tortillas and a grilled onion on top of richly marinated meat. They're about $3 apiece, and two can make a meal. Fresh green and red salsas come on the side. The corn tortillas are made right on the premises – just across the bright yellow dining room, in fact – and you might hear the squeaking conveyors running while you dine. Otherwise expect a very loud jukebox playing Mexican pop tunes. If you choose one of the wooden booths, be warned that they are not for large people.
This place is favored by Mexicans and others in search of authentic food; the menu steers clear of the more common, cheese-heavy Tex-Mex trend. You can pick up a bag of fresh or toasted tortillas (tostadas) on your way out, and look for them at Latin American markets in Port Chester.

Inca y Gaucho, 173 Westchester Ave., 914-939-2100
The extensive menu takes you all the way from Peru – with classics like lomo saltado and ceviche – to the steak-loving Uruguay and Argentina, with a homemade chimichurri sauce.
Lomo saltado, showing the Asian influence in Peruvian food, is sirloin tip steak sauteed with soy sauce, wine, onions, peppers and tomatoes. Other favorites are the rice with seafood, described on the menu as a paella but also reminiscent of fried rice. It comes with mussels, clam, crab, tender calamari and vegetables. A lomo saltado entree is $11.75; arroz con mariscos, $16. There's a bar and a wine list highlighting Chile, Argentina and Uruguay.
This dimly lit restaurant greets you with surprises, starting with the life-size Inca figure at the please-wait-to-be-seated sign. You can dine at the wooden bar, beneath a set of colorful hanging lamps, or sit at a table and look up at tapestries from the Andes.
The soundtrack also has personality, ranging on a recent day from Gypsy Kings to Andean flutes to Latin pop. If you go on Thursday, be advised, it's karaoke night.

Pupusa Loca, 165 Westchester Ave., 914-935-0767
This is a large, casual eatery named after the Salvadoran staple, a thick, soft, corn tortilla with a pocket of cheese and other fillings. You can try a pupusa with queso and the edible flower loroco, to start off. The menu gives a full range of chicken, pork, seafood and steak options. One tasty one is a thinly cut steak with shrimp, $15.95, which arrives on a skillet. The food is hearty and non-spicy, starting with the marinara-like salsa and the cabbage that accompanies the pupusas. Furnishings here are also uncomplicated.
Mirrors, tinted glass and television screens overlook the glass-topped tables, which feature maps of various Central American countries. The menu, however, sticks closely to the boundaries of Salvadoran cuisine.  And the menu doesn't go out of its way to explain itself, so Spanish may come in handy.
- Leah Rae

pawpaw

:grin: GREAT thread!

Quote from: Penny Lane on Oct 15, 2012, 12:28 PM
Fully likes to party I hear!

Quote from: Penny Lane on Oct 16, 2012, 06:34 AM
Quote from: Fully on Oct 16, 2012, 06:10 AM

To quote Merlin from the movie Excalibur, "A dream for some, a nightmare for others."

i love it when you quote wizards..

Quote from: Painter on Oct 16, 2012, 10:50 AM
any one planning on getting magical?
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

Penny Lane

glad you posted this--lots of cool restaurants!
i didn't see much as far as meetup bars---nothing big at least...
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Northern Neighbour

Sign me up for Mexican food.  We only have one decent Mexican place in town, but it has a limited menu.

Fully

Quote from: Penny Lane on Oct 16, 2012, 01:52 PM
I emailed the woman who wrote this. She seems to be familiar with the area. Maybe she'll have some suggestions. It looks like  there will be some good restaurants in the area.

ericm

You can be sure my room will be open to hosting a party pre show!   :wink:  We can rock that Marriott, then just train it in on night one, and scope out the scene for nights 2 and 3. If there's no real bars, it'll be party time in my room at the Marriott all week. :beer:
"Where's Jim going?"

peafunk31

Quote from: Penny Lane on Oct 15, 2012, 12:28 PM
Fully likes to party I hear!

I've only had the pleasure of meeting Fully once but from what I hear her ability to PARTY is legendary. This is what I picture in my mind's eye.

Homer no function beer well without.

Fully

Quote from: ericm on Oct 16, 2012, 02:15 PM

You can be sure my room will be open to hosting a party pre show!   :wink:  We can rock that Marriott, then just train it in on night one, and scope out the scene for nights 2 and 3. If there's no real bars, it'll be party time in my room at the Marriott all week. :beer:

Wooo Hoooo

parkervb

Quote from: KingofKong on Oct 12, 2012, 05:12 PM
Hello people!

I'm brand new to the forum here.  I will be attending the Thursday and Friday night shows in Port Chester (so stoked).  I will be staying in town Thursday night and potentially Friday night as well.  I'm traveling solo to the shows from Canada and I'm basically looking to find some people to party with during my time in Port Chester.  I'm very easy going, I like to have a good time, and I love meeting new people.  Give me a shout if you're down.

Thanks.

if someone approached me looking to "party" while in a lot tailgating, i would be suspicious. but I guess on a forum it's ok?  but that's just me.  ;)
Don't you ever turn it off

bartel

Quote from: Fully on Oct 16, 2012, 01:37 PM
Here's an article about restaurants near the Capitol Theater:
http://food.lohudblogs.com/2012/08/31/restaurants-near-the-capitol-theatre-in-port-chester/

A whole lot of music fans are about to hit Port Chester, and chances are they'll be hungry.
It's no secret that the village has a remarkable variety of restaurants. Port Chester calls itself the restaurant capital of Westchester, and has every right to.
While you've no doubt heard about Mario Batali'sTarry Lodge and Godfrey Polistina's Arrosto, I'm planning on exploring the lesser known restaurants in the village, particularly the ethnic ones. This will take a while, with seven places specializing in Peruvian food alone. Big names have helped put the village on the culinary map, but lots of smaller establishments have no publicists and perhaps no website.
I cover Port Chester for The Journal News, and I've offered to help with the "research." Like Port Chester, I have an affinity for Latin American cuisines. As a traveler I've had the chance to try lulo juice in Cartagena, tamales in Costa Rica, coffee in Havana and, I'll mention my one and only regret, tacos from a little boat in Xochimilco, Mexico.
In Port Chester you can stay in travel mode, trying things out. The restaurants and markets cater to immigrant families with very specific tastes. Just one block up from The Cap, there's a row of three restaurants that always struck me as emblematic: a Salvadoran place, a very authentic Mexican taqueria and a restaurant with a Peruvian-Uruguayan-Argentinian thing going on. How many neighborhoods outside of Queens have a range like that?
Here's a quick intro, in time for the Dylan show. But I'm planning on regular updates, so write me at lrae@lohud.com to let me know what places you like, places you've heard about, or the kinds of places you're looking for.

Tortilleria Los Gemelos, 167 Westchester Ave., 914-934-0372
This place has serious, authentic, get-right-to-the-point tacos. As in Mexico, they come with doubled-up, soft tortillas and a grilled onion on top of richly marinated meat. They're about $3 apiece, and two can make a meal. Fresh green and red salsas come on the side. The corn tortillas are made right on the premises – just across the bright yellow dining room, in fact – and you might hear the squeaking conveyors running while you dine. Otherwise expect a very loud jukebox playing Mexican pop tunes. If you choose one of the wooden booths, be warned that they are not for large people.
This place is favored by Mexicans and others in search of authentic food; the menu steers clear of the more common, cheese-heavy Tex-Mex trend. You can pick up a bag of fresh or toasted tortillas (tostadas) on your way out, and look for them at Latin American markets in Port Chester.

Inca y Gaucho, 173 Westchester Ave., 914-939-2100
The extensive menu takes you all the way from Peru – with classics like lomo saltado and ceviche – to the steak-loving Uruguay and Argentina, with a homemade chimichurri sauce.
Lomo saltado, showing the Asian influence in Peruvian food, is sirloin tip steak sauteed with soy sauce, wine, onions, peppers and tomatoes. Other favorites are the rice with seafood, described on the menu as a paella but also reminiscent of fried rice. It comes with mussels, clam, crab, tender calamari and vegetables. A lomo saltado entree is $11.75; arroz con mariscos, $16. There's a bar and a wine list highlighting Chile, Argentina and Uruguay.
This dimly lit restaurant greets you with surprises, starting with the life-size Inca figure at the please-wait-to-be-seated sign. You can dine at the wooden bar, beneath a set of colorful hanging lamps, or sit at a table and look up at tapestries from the Andes.
The soundtrack also has personality, ranging on a recent day from Gypsy Kings to Andean flutes to Latin pop. If you go on Thursday, be advised, it's karaoke night.

Pupusa Loca, 165 Westchester Ave., 914-935-0767
This is a large, casual eatery named after the Salvadoran staple, a thick, soft, corn tortilla with a pocket of cheese and other fillings. You can try a pupusa with queso and the edible flower loroco, to start off. The menu gives a full range of chicken, pork, seafood and steak options. One tasty one is a thinly cut steak with shrimp, $15.95, which arrives on a skillet. The food is hearty and non-spicy, starting with the marinara-like salsa and the cabbage that accompanies the pupusas. Furnishings here are also uncomplicated.
Mirrors, tinted glass and television screens overlook the glass-topped tables, which feature maps of various Central American countries. The menu, however, sticks closely to the boundaries of Salvadoran cuisine.  And the menu doesn't go out of its way to explain itself, so Spanish may come in handy.
- Leah Rae

this is very handy information for pre show eateries thanks!!

exist10z

Quote from: parkervb on Oct 16, 2012, 04:10 PM
Hello people!

I'm brand new to the forum here.  I will be attending the Thursday and Friday night shows in Port Chester (so stoked).  I will be staying in town Thursday night and potentially Friday night as well.  I'm traveling solo to the shows from Canada and I'm basically looking to find some people to party with during my time in Port Chester.  I'm very easy going, I like to have a good time, and I love meeting new people.  Give me a shout if you're down.

Thanks.

if someone approached me looking to "party" while in a lot tailgating, i would be suspicious. but I guess on a forum it's ok?  but that's just me.  ;)

Yeah, but he's from Canada and used the word 'stoked'.  Although he also correctly used 'you're' prior to the requisite slang 'down', so that might give one pause.  Do you suspect a devious trickster has infiltrated the forum?  Magic Eightball says - Who Knows...
Sisyphus - Just rollin' that rock up the hill, and hoping it doesn't crush me on the way back down..

Fully

Quote from: exist10z on Oct 16, 2012, 06:53 PM
Hello people!

Thanks.

Yeah, but he's from Canada and used the word 'stoked'.  Although he also correctly used 'you're' prior to the requisite slang 'down', so that might give one pause.  Do you suspect a devious trickster has infiltrated the forum?  Magic Eightball says - Who Knows...
He also has exactly one post to his name as of right now. Also, his post is seeing quite a bit of action lately, but he hasn't come back to chat with us.

ericm

Quote from: Fully on Oct 16, 2012, 07:05 PM
Hello people!

Thanks.

He also has exactly one post to his name as of right now. Also, his post is seeing quite a bit of action lately, but he hasn't come back to chat with us.

So you think my room party should be invite only then?  :wink:
"Where's Jim going?"

Fully

Quote from: ericm on Oct 16, 2012, 07:22 PM
Hello people!

Thanks.

Ericm, it's your party; invite if you want to. (groan)

pawpaw

Hey fellow My Morning Jacket fans! Longtime fan here, from way back in the day, been seeing them since their early days in Louisville, KY. Been lurking around these boardz for a hella long time. Anyway, I'll be heading out for the Port Chester shows, and wanted to find some fellow fans (true fans only) who want to PARTY. If anyone's bringing large quantities of drugs (illegal), I'd love to meet up, possibly purchase. Especially looking for meth (aka, ICE) and cociane. Large quantities, because I PARTY HARD. Would also love to hook up some bath saltz. PM me if interested. It'll be ONE BIG HOLIDAY!!! Man, I LOVE that song!!!
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

ericm

Quote from: Fully on Oct 16, 2012, 07:24 PM
Hello people!

Thanks.

I was kidding.  :wink:
"Where's Jim going?"

Fully

Quote from: ericm on Oct 16, 2012, 07:41 PM
Quote from: Fully on Oct 16, 2012, 07:24 PM
Hello people!

Thanks.

I was kidding.  :wink:
It's ok. I just couldn't resist the stupid joke.

zanjam

Hello people!

Thanks.

I think you freaks scared him off.  Wish I was going to be partying in Port Chester!  I'd certainly be down!!
anything + reverb always = better