Main Menu

Black Friday RSD

Started by TheThird, Oct 17, 2012, 05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheThird

Figured we needed a thread to discuss what figures to be a pretty exciting day for vinyl  :thumbsup:

Here's the official list: http://www.recordstoreday.com/SpecialReleases
[url="http://www.discogs.com/user/TheThird/collection"]http://www.discogs.com/user/TheThird/collection[/url]

ManNamedTruth

I think I'm more excited for these releases then regular RSD earlier this year. Here's my want list:
MMJ
Joe Strummer
all The White Stripes stuff
Love
Dr. Dog
Grateful Dead

If I can't make it out to the store that day, some one needs to at least snag me a copy of Love - Forever Changes.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

oistheone

Definitely needed a thread, great call!

Really pumped to pick up the "Dead Leaves" Stripes 7" -- solely for the version of "Stop Breaking Down" on the flip-side. That version is just SMOKIN'. I'd say the Stripes at their live best (even tho it's overdubbed).

Also VERY jacked to grab the Eric Burdon + the Greenhornes record. What a dream collaboration.

And of course, the MMJ 10"! Can't wait to see what the flip side has to offer.

I'm a little bummed that the Dr. Dog EP is on a picture disc (usually they sound pretty crummy) but I'll still pick it up anyway.

itrainmonkeys

I'll be definitely shooting for Dr. Dog, Grateful Dead, and My Morning Jacket. I'll look into the White Stripes stuff as well and decide if I want any or all of them

e_wind

i imagine that GD shit will be hard to find, but im definitely buying if i can.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

ManNamedTruth

Looking for the album pictured below, and MMJ. Managed to only get Grateful Dead Winterland. I can paypal you money immediately.

That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

subinai

i got mmj and gary clark jr

johnnYYac

Quote from: subinai on Nov 24, 2012, 01:20 PM
Hey sub!  Did you hear back from Tommy?  I saw your tweet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

subinai

Quote from: johnnYYac on Nov 24, 2012, 01:34 PM
Quote from: subinai on Nov 24, 2012, 01:20 PM
Hey sub!  Did you hear back from Tommy?  I saw your tweet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

not yet - im really curious about the origins of this track.

subinai

yac - tom responded to my tweet. confirmed its from ISM sessions

johnnYYac

Quote from: subinai on Nov 25, 2012, 12:15 PM
yac - tom responded to my tweet. confirmed its from ISM sessions
Cool!  Thanks, sub.  I'm gonna quote this on the other thread in Music...
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

e_wind

not a very big RSD, imo. I guess the black friday one isnt as big as the one in april? I grabbed the MMJ, the Lucero 45s, and the Jeff the Brotherhood 7"
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

scosby2

Quote from: e_wind on Nov 25, 2012, 02:36 PM
not a very big RSD, imo. I guess the black friday one isnt as big as the one in april? I grabbed the MMJ, the Lucero 45s, and the Jeff the Brotherhood 7"

you're right...it's nowhere near as big...last year was really the first year of record store day black friday edition.

Fully

But it is nice that they are still working to make it a thing. There's a nice article in today's Tennessean that discusses the growth in demand for vinyl and the growing sales of turntables and accessories. Promotions like this are helping get people back into vinyl, and while I doubt vinyl will ever see the sales numbers that it had in the pre-cd era, it's a great thing that it is regaining ground.

TheThird

Quote from: Fully on Nov 25, 2012, 03:29 PM
But it is nice that they are still working to make it a thing. There's a nice article in today's Tennessean that discusses the growth in demand for vinyl and the growing sales of turntables and accessories. Promotions like this are helping get people back into vinyl, and while I doubt vinyl will ever see the sales numbers that it had in the pre-cd era, it's a great thing that it is regaining ground.

I saw that article Fully and thought it was really good. I agree that the Black Friday RSD wasn't as exciting as the full-fledged RSD but I think it's still just as important since it gives people incentive to buy vinyl and to support local record stores.
[url="http://www.discogs.com/user/TheThird/collection"]http://www.discogs.com/user/TheThird/collection[/url]

Fully

Quote from: TheThird on Nov 25, 2012, 03:36 PM

I saw that article Fully and thought it was really good. I agree that the Black Friday RSD wasn't as exciting as the full-fledged RSD but I think it's still just as important since it gives people incentive to buy vinyl and to support local record stores.
Have you been by Grimey's lately? The expansion looks to be quite nice. There's a Frothy Monkey there too. I really like that they are revitalizing that area. All of those closed buildings are getting some fresh life. I haven't made a trip since they've opened they addition. I'm excited to get back up there.

TheThird

Quote from: Fully on Nov 25, 2012, 03:49 PM

Have you been by Grimey's lately? The expansion looks to be quite nice. There's a Frothy Monkey there too. I really like that they are revitalizing that area. All of those closed buildings are getting some fresh life. I haven't made a trip since they've opened they addition. I'm excited to get back up there.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to make a trip to see the expansion although it sounds quite nice. I was going to go today, but procrastination on homework screwed that plan up. I'm just happy that they're doing well enough to expand and improve on the already great experience that a trip to Grimey's provides. If you get a chance to go sometime soon, let me know what you think!

Fully

Quote from: TheThird on Nov 25, 2012, 03:56 PM
Quote from: Fully on Nov 25, 2012, 03:49 PM

Unfortunately I haven't been able to make a trip to see the expansion although it sounds quite nice. I was going to go today, but procrastination on homework screwed that plan up. I'm just happy that they're doing well enough to expand and improve on the already great experience that a trip to Grimey's provides. If you get a chance to go sometime soon, let me know what you think!
I understand. I'm in my classroom this afternoon doing all the grading that I didn't do last week.