Led Zeppelin - Celebration Day

Started by Shug, Oct 18, 2012, 11:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiltonDrake

Quote from: Shug on Oct 18, 2012, 11:39 AM
Am I the only one who wants to scream from the rooftop about one of the most awesome incredible rock experiences I've ever had?

Holy fucking shit!led lighting Zeppelin DESTROYED IT in the Celebration Day film! How in the hell did they pull this off after so many years? (6 weeks of rehearsals might do it if you are Led Fucking Zeppelin).  I had no idea they could muster such power at their ages, playing damn close to as strong and tight as they did at their peak. When has Page ever played with such clean dexterity? (12 string soloing on Song Remains the Same!!!!) JPJ and Jason Bonham locked into all those crazy odd time signatures and doing it with precision, power and flair. Very few signs of the detriments of age in Robert's voice and he's lost little in his frontman's charisma and lead singer prowess, at times urging the band to a new crescendo ("...push, push, push!"). Many arrangements were spot-on faithful to the studio versions (like the crescendo of Stairway To Heaven, particularly Page's solo), a great call to jettison the bloated overly long arrangements they succumbed to in the second part of the 70s. So many great moments, I can't wait to get this DVD and crank it again. It was so hard to not explode into a frenzy of air-drumming and rocking out in the theater. Lots of old folks who sat really still and just a few whoops and claps after songs at the one I attended. It was very hard to contain myself, just a super emotional night for me to see the kings of rock reclaim their throne once and for all.

My mind is blown and Led Zeppelin, for me, have permanently put to rest any notion that they are not far and away the greatest rock band that ever was or likely ever will be. They are so far ahead of any other band for me. Jason Bonham was killing the drums (In My Time Of Dying in the #3 song slot? Fucking amazing!) and it was clear to me he was having a peak moment in his life. His overwhelmed emotions were clearly visible on his face after Kashmir and at the end of the show with all the love he was receiving from Jimmy, Robert and JPJ and the crowd.

The only question I have is why did they wait so long to really reunite (Live Aid and Atlantic 40th Anniv. don't count as one-offs without much if any rehearsal) and why oh why did they not take this on even a short tour of the US? Regardless, I'm ecstatic with what I heard and saw last night. Long live the mighty, mighty, mighty LED ZEPPELIN!

it is a day to celebrate.. I forgot it last time but I will not miss the opportunity this time..Thanks for reminding

Shug

Quote from: Rizzos Girl on Jan 03, 2013, 10:04 PM
Drew got me the DVD for Christmas and I wept through the first 4 songs.  Literally overcome with emotion.  I did the same thing when Plant/Page did that Thank you tour several years back.  Wept through the show.  I really wanted to catch this in a theater this fall but now that I see what a wreck this makes me I'm glad I did it in the privacy of my home. 

I agree with all that was said in this thread about Led Zeppelin. I'm sorry I'm very late to the conversation. I go on binges of them often. Go for days looping albums over and over again and it never gets old.  I know I'm going to watch this DVD and listen to the CD often.  Did anyone catch their Kennedy Center induction.  I was a little offended by Kid Rock being one of the chosen performers.  I mean couldn't they do better?  Or am I just being a snob.  Jimmy Page seemed to enjoy every minute of it.

Yeah, having Kid Rock there was a travesty to the legacy of Zeppelin.  His musical flaccidness is an embarrasment.  To my eyes, Zepp seemed like they were being as polite as possible when he was on, but uncomfortable.  Obviously, they lit up when Jason Bonham was on stage, but I think they were also pretty impressed with Craig Ross' guitar playing with Lenny Kravitz.
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"