Started by baconus66, Nov 12, 2012, 02:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pawpaw

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Feb 20, 2013, 09:04 PM
Quote from: bbill on Feb 20, 2013, 11:50 AM
Quote from: rjlemons on Feb 17, 2013, 09:12 PM
Quote from: Fully on Feb 16, 2013, 02:18 PM
Quote from: bbill on Feb 15, 2013, 06:52 PM
I'm not into Jim's new album. I'm a big fan of many of the types of music he seems to have been influenced by in making it, but the word "clumsy" keeps popping up in my head when I listen to RoLaSoG. Especially the lyrics...some of the writing is just not good, imo.

He's made plenty of other great music, so I'll listen to that instead.

I thought some of the things you are saying at first listen, particularly about the lyrics, but then the album just clicked for me. I'm not saying you'll changed your mind-just that I did.

I agree. The first word that came to mind for me was "simple". After it clicked, I thought "simply genius".

My suggestion would be: Build it up strong. Fill it up with love. And see it live.  :beer:

Some of it is simple too, but I don't feel that it's clumsy because it's simple. I've listened to it a few more times since I wrote my expansive review last week  :grin:, and still feel the same.

There are things I do like about the album, some of it sounds good, damn smooth. Jim's strong suit, imo, is writing music, and he's done a fine job on several of the songs on this new album. But RoLaSoG sounds like it's trying to be this personal, precious album, one on which the lyrics are intended to be central and purposeful, and, well, you already know how I feel about the lyrics as a whole. Maybe I just don't "get it" though.

I don't get it either bbill; and I am old and I don't want to work for it either. The last 3 efforts just seem "forced", so much so that I like Evil Urges of all of them  :undecided:

I agree that RoLaSoG does sound forced, though I don't feel like the last two full band albums sound that way, and I'm actually a pretty big fan of Circuital. I don't mean to say that the lyrics are universally bad either, there is some good stuff on the new album, more good than bad probably, but there are some real clunkers in there too, enough to turn me off.
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

BH

Quote from: bbill on Feb 22, 2013, 05:28 PM
I'm not into Jim's new album. I'm a big fan of many of the types of music he seems to have been influenced by in making it, but the word "clumsy" keeps popping up in my head when I listen to RoLaSoG. Especially the lyrics...some of the writing is just not good, imo.

I thought some of the things you are saying at first listen, particularly about the lyrics, but then the album just clicked for me. I'm not saying you'll changed your mind-just that I did.

I agree. The first word that came to mind for me was "simple". After it clicked, I thought "simply genius".

My suggestion would be: Build it up strong. Fill it up with love. And see it live.  :beer:

Some of it is simple too, but I don't feel that it's clumsy because it's simple. I've listened to it a few more times since I wrote my expansive review last week  :grin:, and still feel the same.

There are things I do like about the album, some of it sounds good, damn smooth. Jim's strong suit, imo, is writing music, and he's done a fine job on several of the songs on this new album. But RoLaSoG sounds like it's trying to be this personal, precious album, one on which the lyrics are intended to be central and purposeful, and, well, you already know how I feel about the lyrics as a whole. Maybe I just don't "get it" though.

I don't get it either bbill; and I am old and I don't want to work for it either. The last 3 efforts just seem "forced", so much so that I like Evil Urges of all of them  :undecided:

I agree that RoLaSoG does sound forced, though I don't feel like the last two full band albums sound that way, and I'm actually a pretty big fan of Circuital. I don't mean to say that the lyrics are universally bad either, there is some good stuff on the new album, more good than bad probably, but there are some real clunkers in there too, enough to turn me off.

It's not the words that he says b!    It's the way that he sings.   :wink:
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

pawpaw

Quote from: BH on Feb 22, 2013, 05:33 PM

It's not the words that he says b!    It's the way that he sings.   :wink:

:grin: Great song, but I've never bought into that as a rule. Plus, he wants us to hear his words now, the album's produced for it. Eh, whatever. I'm done complaining.

Dude, BH, I thought about you when I heard that Makers was going to start watering down their bourbon. I pictured you tearing off to the liquor store to buy every 90-proof bottle you could find.

Ruckus

I agree with you guys bb's and Trace.  I respect JJ's creativity and I know bbill digs the influences behind this album.  A lot of the production and beats are fantastic!  Unfortunately the lyrical content just doesn't work for me and I'll always be in love with JJ's soaring reverb laden vocals, the sound that drew me into them in the first place.

Oddly enough I've come around to Circuital for all its faults for I feel VD, Circuital and SST are exceptional tracks.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

lpkell2145

Okay - so I definitely like the new album I think (I know. Total doublespeak). I've been listening to it while I'm at work and I really like the grooves and beats he uses. But then the other night I tried listening to it while going to sleep (with headphones) and I gotta be honest...it creeped me out a little bit. Something about Jim's voice and the effects he uses is very unnerving to me. There is so much going on in the background too - I don't know why I got such an oh-oh feeling, but I did. All that being said, I will continue to listen to it because I love me some JJ, but maybe as a daytime record.
20 times I wish you'd understand...

pawpaw

Alright, I wanted to say one more thing on this.  :grin: All these vague comments I'm making about not liking some of the lyrics are not directed at the God lyrics because they're God lyrics. I have a problem with (what in my opinion is) poor writing, not any of the subject matter Jim's chosen.

But, I ask you all...what do you think of Jim devoting a good chunk of his first solo album to God, some of it the Christian view of God and Jesus? Do you like the songs more or less because of the subject matter? Does it turn you off on the album at all?

Sorry if this has already been asked and discussed on here. I'm not as thorough with my forum-ing as I used to be.

Penny Lane

Quote from: bbill on Feb 25, 2013, 11:25 AM
Alright, I wanted to say one more thing on this.  :grin: All these vague comments I'm making about not liking some of the lyrics are not directed at the God lyrics because they're God lyrics. I have a problem with (what in my opinion is) poor writing, not any of the subject matter Jim's chosen.

But, I ask you all...what do you think of Jim devoting a good chunk of his first solo album to God, some of it the Christian view of God and Jesus? Do you like the songs more or less because of the subject matter? Does it turn you off on the album at all?

Sorry if this has already been asked and discussed on here. I'm not as thorough with my forum-ing as I used to be.

I agree with you. I don't mind subject matter at all, really loved Dear God (off MOF) and love spiritual songs in general. But most of these songs just didn't resonate with me --- some of them came alive seeing the show last week (no doubt because of all the dirty dancing going on up on stage) but overall, the repetitive lyrics are a huge turn off.

Perhaps I need to read the novel and delve deeper in order to get it, but I gave up being deep in my 20s.  :rolleyes:
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Shug

Interesting question, bbill, at least to me.  I have a MAJOR chip on my shoulder against most organized religions and a deep interest in spirituality.  Jim apparently grew up Catholic and made some pretty spot on comments about it in a recent interview (things along the lines of the Catholic church is just a bunch of greedy old white men trying to keep their power and that any religion that does not hold women to be equal to men is fundamentally flawed), so I know he thinks kinda like I do.   

http://consequenceofsound.net/2013/02/cover-story-jim-james/

"I joke and call myself a recovering Catholic," he says with a grin.

Years in Catholic school didn't stick with James the way those nuns had probably hoped. He doesn't "bash" the religion, acknowledging, as is the wont of many "recovering Catholics", that there are plenty of sound teachings in the good book. Still, around the time he was with classmates like Givan, Quaid, and the others, he came to a realization.

"Ya know, when you're still in grade school, but you're kinda starting to wake up and become conscious and you're discovering music and you're discovering friends. And you're discovering, just, 'God, so much of this is so boring or just so stupid. Like, why can't a woman be a priest?' Like there're all these flaws like, 'Why do you hate gay people?'"

His eyes are narrowed, as if still examining Catholicism's flaws. Besides these exclusions, James also finds issue in the general political background of religion.

"And you kinda start tracing the history and realizing that a lot of this is just bullshit that old, scared white dues cooked up to keep their power and their fucking money. You realize it's 'big business'. So many generations of people have been duped by this big business because they've got fear beaten into their heads, and they've got guilt beaten into their heads.

All this shit is just so sad, because religion is supposed to be the most uplifting thing in your life. I think about just how often religion has been bastardized, so that's why for me, religion is more of a deeply personal thing that just involves searching and questioning and taking little bitty pieces from any other religion I read and try to make it my own."

But I think that when I hear spiritually sincere and authentic music, I can recognize it.  So if Dylan or Van Morrison or even Jim sing about spiritual themes using words that sound a lot like what conservative fundamentalist Christians use, it still doesn't bother me, because I can sense that Dylan, Van and Jim are coming from an entirely different perspective on Jesus and God.  Its the difference between mysticism and fundamentalism, like the Sufis in Islam, Kabbalah in Judaism, the ancient Christian mystic sects, etc.

I'm not that enamoured of Jim's solo album yet, but its not because of the spiritual theme.  But I am extremely impressed with the artistic intentions behind this record that Jim has talked about alot in recent interviews.  Dude is spot on in my book.
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

pawpaw

Quote from: Shug on Feb 25, 2013, 12:40 PM
I'm not that enamoured of Jim's solo album yet, but its not because of the spiritual theme.  But I am extremely impressed with the artistic intentions behind this record that Jim has talked about alot in recent interviews.  Dude is spot on in my book.

I agree, and I want to like the album more than I do because of this.

BH

I actually love a lot of the lyrics.   

In particular, his questioning of the merits of technology in State of the Art.   That hits home with me quite a bit as me and my wife struggle with how much time our kids spend on computer/tv/ipod touches.    I think kids today are missing something in their brains that we developed as kids having to be creative to have fun, explore our souroundings, etc.

Also, I grew up Catholic and still am, but I have many issues with it that are similar to Jim's issues.   I think the "old white man attitude" has indeed ruined it and turned it into a lot of political bull shit.    Therefore I LOVE Of The Mother Again.    We could use some more female influence in this world.   Men fight, men kill, men rape, men start wars.

And how about A New Life?   Is this the greatest romance song of all?   How is this not the perfect "wedding song"?   

The love: Babe, let's get one thing clear, there's much more STARDUST when your near.
But reality:  But you know it won't come easy, but what's more, it's worth working for.

This is perfect example of a Jim song that changes meaning.  At first it sounds like Jim is going somewhere else, "I want a new life. (Period)"   Repeated several times, until he lets you in on it..."I want a new life.....WITH YOU!"    Totally turns the song around.   Clever me thinks.    It reminds me of Changing World.   The line when Jim says, Why am I afraid to live a lie?  He draws out lie but then enunciates the FFFF at the end and it changes to Why am I afraid to live a life.   BUT THEN!    another long pause and he adds "of love" and it changes the meaning again!    I've see these little things since Tennesee Fire.   There are lots of double meanings and words that you can hear two different ways, and I know it's on purpose because the official lyrics even used to have some of them in parenthesis.

Anyway, I realize that at times he might not get mistaken with the greatest poets of all time, but the fact that anybody is surprised by the style of lyrics amazes me, because it seems to me it's been the same mysterious, quirky, seemingly simple, sometimes goofy lyrics that it's always been.   Did "They Ran" win a literary award that I didn't know about.  :wink:

I guess I just like the mystery.  The vagueness.    You can apply your own meanings to it.    And when it comes down to it, when I close my eyes and he he's screaming, "ALL IS FORGIVEN" it could be in Japanese, and it really wouldn't matter to me.

I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Fully

Quote from: BH on Feb 25, 2013, 08:54 PM
I actually love a lot of the lyrics.   

In particular, his questioning of the merits of technology in State of the Art.   That hits home with me quite a bit as me and my wife struggle with how much time our kids spend on computer/tv/ipod touches.    I think kids today are missing something in their brains that we developed as kids having to be creative to have fun, explore our souroundings, etc.

Also, I grew up Catholic and still am, but I have many issues with it that are similar to Jim's issues.   I think the "old white man attitude" has indeed ruined it and turned it into a lot of political bull shit.    Therefore I LOVE Of The Mother Again.    We could use some more female influence in this world.   Men fight, men kill, men rape, men start wars.

And how about A New Life?   Is this the greatest romance song of all?   How is this not the perfect "wedding song"?   

The love: Babe, let's get one thing clear, there's much more STARDUST when your near.
But reality:  But you know it won't come easy, but what's more, it's worth working for.

This is perfect example of a Jim song that changes meaning.  At first it sounds like Jim is going somewhere else, "I want a new life. (Period)"   Repeated several times, until he lets you in on it..."I want a new life.....WITH YOU!"    Totally turns the song around.   Clever me thinks.    It reminds me of Changing World.   The line when Jim says, Why am I afraid to live a lie?  He draws out lie but then enunciates the FFFF at the end and it changes to Why am I afraid to live a life.   BUT THEN!    another long pause and he adds "of love" and it changes the meaning again!    I've see these little things since Tennesee Fire.   There are lots of double meanings and words that you can hear two different ways, and I know it's on purpose because the official lyrics even used to have some of them in parenthesis.

Anyway, I realize that at times he might not get mistaken with the greatest poets of all time, but the fact that anybody is surprised by the style of lyrics amazes me, because it seems to me it's been the same mysterious, quirky, seemingly simple, sometimes goofy lyrics that it's always been.   Did "They Ran" win a literary award that I didn't know about.  :wink:

I guess I just like the mystery.  The vagueness.    You can apply your own meanings to it.    And when it comes down to it, when I close my eyes and he he's screaming, "ALL IS FORGIVEN" it could be in Japanese, and it really wouldn't matter to me.

I really like what you've written here. When you go on a passionate explanation rampage, it really turns out lovely, BH.

Angelo

Quote from: BH on Feb 25, 2013, 08:54 PM

Very nicely said BH, all of it. My fiancee and I agree with you completely on this, so much so that we decided just this past weekend to make it our wedding song. Her idea. It's perfect.

Shug

Yeah, BH, good stuff! Your writing makes me want to try to appreciate the album more than I do right now.  Those are really good honest inspiring lyrics that really ring true in A New Life and its cool, Angelo, that you and your fiance are using the song for your wedding.
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

Fully

I have a feeling that A New Life is going to be used at a lot of weddings in the future. It's perfect for it. (I'm really making a groundbreaking prediction here.)

BH

Quote from: Fully on Feb 26, 2013, 02:22 PM
I have a feeling that A New Life is going to be used at a lot of weddings in the future. It's perfect for it. (I'm really making a groundbreaking prediction here.)

I know!   People at the wedding who don't know the song will be thinking, OK, boring slow dance, and then BAM!  all of a sudden your dancing all pulp fiction chuck berry you never can tell.   Take that old people enjoying your wedding cake!

johnnYYac

I had the opportunity today to play Regions at significant volume. It sounds exceptional played loud!  Might explain the love its received on stage.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Dillsnufus

Gazziza My Dillsnufus

capt. scotty

Quote from: Dillsnufus on Feb 26, 2013, 09:19 PM
http://www.fuse.tv/2013/02/the-roots-black-thought-jim-james-blues-album

This should be good

Sounds very intriguing but also very vague based on the article and youtube clip. Even hearing Black Thought talk about it he almost made it sound like he was a guest featured on the album and its not his.

When I first saw the link, I was thinking a JJ backed by the Roots blues album in its entirety. Now that would be bad ass.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

justbcuzido

Quote from: capt. scotty on Feb 27, 2013, 12:22 PM
Quote from: Dillsnufus on Feb 26, 2013, 09:19 PM
http://www.fuse.tv/2013/02/the-roots-black-thought-jim-james-blues-album

This should be good

Sounds very intriguing but also very vague based on the article and youtube clip. Even hearing Black Thought talk about it he almost made it sound like he was a guest featured on the album and its not his.

When I first saw the link, I was thinking a JJ backed by the Roots blues album in its entirety. Now that would be bad ass.

I concur! I got a little taste of what he could do with blues on Honest Man, and I have been wishing for more ever since. It's like when a crack dealer gives you the first hit free, you will always want more!
Mona Lisa must'a had the highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles.

MMJCOBRA

No groundbreaking comments from me. Just wanted to say this is exactly the type of Jim James solo work I was hoping for, beautiful, tender, and with a small dose of funk mixed in.

THis is a perfect album to chill out and drink coffee to before work....or to listen to after a few nighttime beverages!!!

Can't wait for the Nashville show!!