regions of light and sound of god

Started by baconus66, Nov 12, 2012, 02:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Murph

Quote from: Dillsnufus on Mar 01, 2013, 02:00 AM
http://consequenceofsound.net/2013/02/camera-obscura-enlist-jim-james-and-neko-case-for-new-album-desire-lines/

He's everywhere!  Camera Obscura dont have a bad record to date and I've been waiting on a new one for awhile now.  Needless to say though, this one is already off to a good start.

sweatboard

Dear One on vinyl with headphones cranked up is fucking nuts....what's better than Jim?  2 Jims.  I am really loving the effort he put into the sound on this thing.  Just some real mindblowing shit. 
There's Still Time.........

sweatboard

Quote from: BH on Feb 25, 2013, 08:54 PM
I actually love a lot of the lyrics.   

In particular, his questioning of the merits of technology in State of the Art.   That hits home with me quite a bit as me and my wife struggle with how much time our kids spend on computer/tv/ipod touches.    I think kids today are missing something in their brains that we developed as kids having to be creative to have fun, explore our souroundings, etc.

Also, I grew up Catholic and still am, but I have many issues with it that are similar to Jim's issues.   I think the "old white man attitude" has indeed ruined it and turned it into a lot of political bull shit.    Therefore I LOVE Of The Mother Again.    We could use some more female influence in this world.   Men fight, men kill, men rape, men start wars.

And how about A New Life?   Is this the greatest romance song of all?   How is this not the perfect "wedding song"?   

The love: Babe, let's get one thing clear, there's much more STARDUST when your near.
But reality:  But you know it won't come easy, but what's more, it's worth working for.

This is perfect example of a Jim song that changes meaning.  At first it sounds like Jim is going somewhere else, "I want a new life. (Period)"   Repeated several times, until he lets you in on it..."I want a new life.....WITH YOU!"    Totally turns the song around.   Clever me thinks.    It reminds me of Changing World.   The line when Jim says, Why am I afraid to live a lie?  He draws out lie but then enunciates the FFFF at the end and it changes to Why am I afraid to live a life.   BUT THEN!    another long pause and he adds "of love" and it changes the meaning again!    I've see these little things since Tennesee Fire.   There are lots of double meanings and words that you can hear two different ways, and I know it's on purpose because the official lyrics even used to have some of them in parenthesis.

Anyway, I realize that at times he might not get mistaken with the greatest poets of all time, but the fact that anybody is surprised by the style of lyrics amazes me, because it seems to me it's been the same mysterious, quirky, seemingly simple, sometimes goofy lyrics that it's always been.   Did "They Ran" win a literary award that I didn't know about.  :wink:

I guess I just like the mystery.  The vagueness.    You can apply your own meanings to it.    And when it comes down to it, when I close my eyes and he he's screaming, "ALL IS FORGIVEN" it could be in Japanese, and it really wouldn't matter to me.

nice, nail, head, meet hammer. 

sweatboard

Quote from: exist10z on Nov 12, 2012, 04:13 PM
Just listened to it for the first time, pretty surprised, pleasantly surprised, absolutely love it.  As some have written, I kinda thought it might be a whole bunch of Golden and Burmuda Highway, Jim acoustic, which is by no means a bad thing, but is something he's already done with the band.  This is pretty out there, but no so far out there as to be inaccessible.  Aspects have been explored with the band I think (TMIGTS, TDIC), and it's certainly derived from things being done by others, but I think it's a move forward/diverging from the rock/folk/soul sound of MMJ.  Which I am sure none of us want to stop or be too altered within the confines of the band.

Too me it's almost describable as maybe electronic/soul, which is not something that hasn't been done, but also isn't a genre combination that has been fully explored.  I am searching my mind for comparisons and having a difficult time thinking of them right now, though I suspect they will come over time.  I almost heard a little Massive Attack, and maybe a little Lucky Soul (albeit w/ a male singer).  I am sure I will think of more later, probably more closely related and appropriate comparisons, but regardless, I am excited.

Of course who knows how closely the actual album will hew to this song release, but if this is an indication, I can't wait to February.  I am a fan of electronic music, and jazz, and soul, and experimentation in general, so this song bodes well for me.  I can see how some might not be enthused, but it's nice to see an artist who you already enjoy, branch out into other areas that you already enjoy.  It's a double bonus. :grin:

johnnYYac

Quote from: sweatboard on Mar 11, 2013, 12:54 AM
Dear One on vinyl with headphones cranked up is fucking nuts....what's better than Jim?  2 Jims.  I am really loving the effort he put into the sound on this thing.  Just some real mindblowing shit.
It really is.  You got me to do just that, headphones for Dear One.  Heard some shit I'd yet to hear.  I need to do the whole album with 'phones. 

A lot of people, including me, have stated the album feels a bit thin, unpolished, words to that effect.  Yet, it really is a complex effort.  It looks like he's developed a tight live version (looking forward to 4/26!).  It only gets better after each listen.  Considering how much I've listened to it...  :shocked:

And kudos, Brian, for bringing Erik back into the conversation.  I miss him.

He's writing about just one song, "Know Til Know" is my guess.  Such a thoughful analysis, positive vibe.  I wonder if he ever heard the whole album, though it would have to have been the leak.  I've got to put the kids to bed, but I'll spin RoL&SoG into headphones for Erik to hear...
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

BH

I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

sweatboard

Quote from: johnnYYac on Mar 12, 2013, 08:23 PM
It really is.  You got me to do just that, headphones for Dear One.  Heard some shit I'd yet to hear.  I need to do the whole album with 'phones. 

A lot of people, including me, have stated the album feels a bit thin, unpolished, words to that effect.  Yet, it really is a complex effort.  It looks like he's developed a tight live version (looking forward to 4/26!).  It only gets better after each listen.  Considering how much I've listened to it...  :shocked:

He's writing about just one song, "Know Til Know" is my guess.  Such a thoughful analysis, positive vibe.  I wonder if he ever heard the whole album, though it would have to have been the leak.  I've got to put the kids to bed, but I'll spin RoL&SoG into headphones for Erik to hear...

Yeah, he had awesome things to say.... just a really great soul.  I will also spin it with him in mind right now.

Misti

Quote from: exist10z on Nov 12, 2012, 05:23 PM
I think I always want to do this, because they are probably my two favorite current bands, but I get a little bit of Radiohead experimentation from the track as well.  The repetitive electronic sounds, the groove...

I always want to find parallels with my favorite bands though, it's a sickness.  Even if non-existent, I want to find them.  I always compare a bands album arc to the Beatles or Zeppelin or whomever, looking for patterns, comparing sales, experimentation and 'progress', etc.

My wife is a huge Radiohead fan, and generally favors electronic music, and as soon as I heard Know Til Now I thought, 'will she like this?'.  Anyway, who cares, I 'dig it the most'.

I did like it, scrappy. Love and miss you so much. Wish you were here to talk about it.. :'(

Erik (exist10z) was so excited about this album. He text me as soon as he found the video:

Miss you beyond words, Erik... my best friend and soul mate for 22 years. You live on in the music.

Misti

Quote from: sweatboard on Mar 11, 2013, 01:09 AM
Quote from: exist10z on Nov 12, 2012, 04:13 PM
Just listened to it for the first time, pretty surprised, pleasantly surprised, absolutely love it.  As some have written, I kinda thought it might be a whole bunch of Golden and Burmuda Highway, Jim acoustic, which is by no means a bad thing, but is something he's already done with the band.  This is pretty out there, but no so far out there as to be inaccessible.  Aspects have been explored with the band I think (TMIGTS, TDIC), and it's certainly derived from things being done by others, but I think it's a move forward/diverging from the rock/folk/soul sound of MMJ.  Which I am sure none of us want to stop or be too altered within the confines of the band.

Too me it's almost describable as maybe electronic/soul, which is not something that hasn't been done, but also isn't a genre combination that has been fully explored.  I am searching my mind for comparisons and having a difficult time thinking of them right now, though I suspect they will come over time.  I almost heard a little Massive Attack, and maybe a little Lucky Soul (albeit w/ a male singer).  I am sure I will think of more later, probably more closely related and appropriate comparisons, but regardless, I am excited.

Of course who knows how closely the actual album will hew to this song release, but if this is an indication, I can't wait to February.  I am a fan of electronic music, and jazz, and soul, and experimentation in general, so this song bodes well for me.  I can see how some might not be enthused, but it's nice to see an artist who you already enjoy, branch out into other areas that you already enjoy.  It's a double bonus. :grin:

Thanks for remembering Erik. It means a lot to me. You know, when the album was "officially" released, I had a really hard time. I just know how excited he would have been to talk more about it with me and everyone here. Miss him so much. :'( RIP, my love. Music will never be the same without you listening with me..
Miss you beyond words, Erik... my best friend and soul mate for 22 years. You live on in the music.

Misti

Thank you for keeping Erik in your heart. Words can't really express how much I miss him and it seems to get harder every day. The pain in my heart is second only to the emptiness in my soul without him here..

I have a message from MamaKel. She has been kind enough to work on a memorial painting/poster for Erik. Just a few days before he passed away, we were fortunate enough to be at the PC shows (Erik all three, me one). So, this painting will really have special meaning to me. I'm attaching her message and a preliminary pic of the work. Does anyone know anything about copywriting? We don't want to cross any legal boundaries with the addition of a quote. For example, adding: "You'll be right here forever, we'll go through this thing together/ And on Heaven's golden shore we'll lay our heads". If anyone has any insight about this, please let us know. I have sincere gratitude for all the support and love I've received from so many of you over the last 2 months. And again, the message from Jim James expressing his condolences still shines light on my very dark days.

Peace, love and music,
Misti (exist10z's wife)

From MamaKel:
Hey Misti,
I just wanted you to know that I am two days in to the memorial painting for Erik.  It's coming along well, and should be done in about a week.  I have found a printer that I am going to use to turn them into posters, and they should be ready by Jim's next set of shows, so hopefully I can send some to you, and some to the fine folks on the forum to sell.  I will update you when I know more about copyrighting, etc...but if someone on The Forum knows if I'd be allowed to use a quote on the painting, that would really help me out!!!  Please give everyone my best, and I will talk to you soon, mama.

One Love Many Blessings,
Mama Kel

manonthemoon

Quote from: BH on Mar 12, 2013, 11:53 PM
This Dear One.   Also nice.

http://youtu.be/-8f-wRWvyzA

Awesome, by far my favorite jam off of the album, can't wait to hear it live!!!
Alive or Just Breathing

Fully

Quote from: manonthemoon on Mar 13, 2013, 09:46 PM

The lip saxing kills me!

BH

Quote from: Fully on Mar 13, 2013, 10:51 PM
Quote from: manonthemoon on Mar 13, 2013, 09:46 PM

The lip saxing kills me!

Lip saxing!   Nice!    :beer:
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

sweatboard

Quote from: Misti on Mar 13, 2013, 10:34 AM

Thank you for keeping Erik in your heart. Words can't really express how much I miss him and it seems to get harder every day. The pain in my heart is second only to the emptiness in my soul without him here..

I have a message from MamaKel. She has been kind enough to work on a memorial painting/poster for Erik. Just a few days before he passed away, we were fortunate enough to be at the PC shows (Erik all three, me one). So, this painting will really have special meaning to me. I'm attaching her message and a preliminary pic of the work. Does anyone know anything about copywriting? We don't want to cross any legal boundaries with the addition of a quote. For example, adding: "You'll be right here forever, we'll go through this thing together/ And on Heaven's golden shore we'll lay our heads". If anyone has any insight about this, please let us know. I have sincere gratitude for all the support and love I've received from so many of you over the last 2 months. And again, the message from Jim James expressing his condolences still shines light on my very dark days.

Peace, love and music,
Misti (exist10z's wife)

From MamaKel:
Hey Misti,
I just wanted you to know that I am two days in to the memorial painting for Erik.  It's coming along well, and should be done in about a week.  I have found a printer that I am going to use to turn them into posters, and they should be ready by Jim's next set of shows, so hopefully I can send some to you, and some to the fine folks on the forum to sell.  I will update you when I know more about copyrighting, etc...but if someone on The Forum knows if I'd be allowed to use a quote on the painting, that would really help me out!!!  Please give everyone my best, and I will talk to you soon, mama.

One Love Many Blessings,
Mama Kel

I'm a big fan of this post!  It looks amazing, I love the owls eyes

Dillsnufus

Gazziza My Dillsnufus

Mr. White

Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

MOWJO8185

I hope everyone has seen this...

http://www.rdio.com/artist/Jim_James/album/Sleep_No_More_Live_at_the_McKittrick_Hotel_%28Rdio_Exclusive%29/

Available for download. I wish that the encore was included, but at least we get all the solo album songs live. On New Life right now, sounds GREAT so far.

Dillsnufus

Quote from: MOWJO8185 on Apr 09, 2013, 03:51 PM
I hope everyone has seen this...

http://www.rdio.com/artist/Jim_James/album/Sleep_No_More_Live_at_the_McKittrick_Hotel_%28Rdio_Exclusive%29/

Available for download. I wish that the encore was included, but at least we get all the solo album songs live. On New Life right now, sounds GREAT so far.

I'd pay good money to have this on vinyl. DEAR ONE IS SIIIIICK :cheesy: :cheesy:
Gazziza My Dillsnufus

Mahgeetah34

Is this free to download or do you actually have to pay for it?