The Who - Lifehouse

Started by Shug, Nov 27, 2012, 03:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shug

I've been in a Who phase recently, getting ready for the show in Feb.  I'm again fascinated with the Lifehouse project and wanted to hear from some of the Who fans here their opinion about it. 

Wikipedia lists the following as one of Townshend's sequences for the album:
Side 1 (Ray's Story)

"Teenage Wasteland" (Lifehouse Chronicles)[3]
    "Going Mobile" (Who's Next)
    "Baba O'Riley" (Who's Next)
    "Time Is Passing" (Odds and Sods) and (Who Came First)
    "Love Ain't for Keeping" (Who's Next)

Side 2 (Mary/Jumbo's Story)

"Bargain" (Who's Next)
    "Too Much of Anything" (Odds & Sods) and (Who's Next (1995 reissue) )
    "Greyhound Girl" (Lifehouse Chronicles) (Believed to have been recorded by The Who in 1971)
    "Mary" (Lifehouse Chronicles ) (Recorded by The Who in 1971)
    "Behind Blue Eyes" (Who's Next)

Side 3 (Bobby's Story)

"I Don't Even Know Myself" (Who's Missing and Who's Next (1995 reissue) )
    "Put the Money Down" (Odds & Sods)
    "Pure and Easy" (Who Came First, Odds and Sods, and Who's Next (1995 reissue) )
    "Getting in Tune" (Who's Next)
    "Let's See Action (Nothing is Everything)" (Who Came First and Hooligans)

Side 4 (The Lifehouse Concert)

"Relay" (Hooligans)
    "Join Together" (Hooligans)
    "Won't Get Fooled Again" (Who's Next)
    "The Song Is Over" (Who's Next)

I'd like to create a version of the Lifehouse album myself, using as many early 70s Who performances (as opposed to Townshend solo ones) as possible.  For example, I have two Who versions of Pure and Easy, one from the reissued Who's Next and another from a double disc greatest hits comp.  I just need to decide which one I like better (leaning towards the Who's Next reissue version).  But what about some of these other songs?

Any suggestions on specific recordings or favorite versions of these songs that I ought to get would be appreciated.

Thanks for your comments!
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

FiddleCastro

I like to think the Heavier (Odds and Sods) version of Love Ain't For Keeping was part of the Lifehouse project.

I was just telling a friend of mine I'd love to see Pete do Lifehouse live as he imagined it
I NEEDED IT MOST WHENEVER tbh

Jaimoe

You can get the "Mary" demo on Townshend's Scoop album. The Who studio track was lost in a fire and there are no versions by The Who in existence, although Pete's performed it live. Too bad because the demo is awesome and you can tell it would've been one of The Who's best songs. I'm quite familiar with Lifehouse. It led to Pete's nervous breakdown.

Mr. White

I know this isn't The Who and only Pete on his solo album, but I love this version of Let's See Action a lot. I used to have Who Came First and Hooligans on 8-Track when I was youger (Have Who Came First on CD now).

Pete Townshend ~ Let's See Action
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

Crispy

I just wish I had my old Hooligans cassette. I wore that thing right the fuck out 20 years ago, and I have yet to find a replacement.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"