Best Shows You Saw This Year!

Started by MMPJ6306, Dec 18, 2012, 03:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shug

MMJ - Red Rocks and Wiltern, it just doesn't get any better than that these days....

My fave non-MMJ shows from 2012:

Rich Robinson - Phoenix, AZ - he blows away his brother Chris when it comes to solo stuff.  Severely underrated and a mature musical genius!!!

JJ Grey and Mofro - Scottsdale, AZ  - these guys blow the roof off with their authentic R&B soul sound, just incredibly fun and moving to go see live, like a revival tent show or something

Wilco - two nights at Red Rocks was pretty damn good, but they did lots of repeats, I'm just spoiled by MMJ and all those Grateful Dead shows I saw!

Justin Townes Earle - solo acoustic Phoenix AZ - he is an amazing fingerpicker and his brutally honest, emotional songs combined with his effortless, commanding stage presence and encyclopedic historic musical knowledge give him a musical authority that few can match, IMO.
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

MrWhippy

Quote from: Shug on Dec 27, 2012, 03:47 PM
Quote from: MrWhippy on Dec 18, 2012, 07:43 PM
3.  Richard Thompson, City Winery, NYC (all requests show)

Mr. Whippy, do you have a setlist for what was played?  I used to be really into Richard Thompson, saw him live a whole bunch and collected lots of recordings.  I got burned out and bummed out with his live show song choices (basically ignoring his incredible earlier music) around about Mock Tudor.  I'd like to see what an all-request setlist would look like!

Hey Shug.  I understand where you are coming from about Richard Thompson under-representing his early material when he plays live.  These all-requests shows are great for that as that stuff is much of what people request.  Also, he has gotten some better as of late about playing more older stuff even in his regular shows.  It's hard to complain too much about him playing newer material when his new stuff is so strong, particularly Mock Tudor and the albums that have come since then.

From that all-requests show I had on my list, some of the older things played were Hokey Pokey, The Sun Never Shines on the Poor, Walk Awhile, We Sing Hallelujah (first time played live), Down Where the Drunkards Roll, Withered and Died, Back Street Slide.
My heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

bartel

saw MMJ (port chester and the mann)
wilco
neil young (borgata)

have to say the best show was neil young & crazy horse.. they were amazing.

he.who.forgets

1. Pearl Jam, Amsterdam 6/27/12
2. Eddie Vedder, Jacksonville FL 11/24/12
3. Pearl Jam, Amsterdam 6/26/12
4. Eddie Vedder, Jacksonville FL 11/25/12
5. The Who, Orlando FL 11/10/12
6. Wilco, St. Augustine FL 5/16/12
7. Pearl Jam, Arras France 6/30/12
8. Tedeschi & Trucks Band, Wannee 4/20/12
9. Buddy Guy, Wannee 4/20/12
10. Black Joe Lewis & The Honeybears, Jacksonville FL 9/6/12
11. Built to Spill, Jacksonville, FL 9/9/12
12. Florence + The Machine, Arras France 6/30/12

Those were pretty much all the shows I hit this year other than a few smaller gigs. 
Regrets:
Jack White, Paris
MMJ, Atlanta
JJ Grey & Mofro, Jacksonville

Jpugdawg

In no particular order...
New Multitudes
John Prine/Lucinda Williams
Peter Gabriel so
Newport folk
Neil Young/Patti Smith
Bruce Fenway park & Gillette
Human Sexual Response reunion
MMJ -NYE

Jeff Murray

This list has no order what so ever...

Clutch - Chameleon Club
Alabama Shakes - Rams Head Live
Trampled By Turtles w/ These United States - Union Transfer
Lucero w/ J Roddy Walston & The Business - Abbey Bar Harrisburg
4OnTheFloor - Abbey Bar - Terrible turnout but great live band
March Fourth Marching Band - Abbey Bar
The Lumineers - Abbey Bar
The Reverend Peyton's Big Damn Band - Abbey Bar
Jane's Addiction - Lyric Theater Bmore
MMJ - MPP and the PC 3 night run
J Roddy Walston & The Business - Abbey Bar - Headline Show... really need to see them on a taller stage!
Deftones - Rams Head Live
Reignwolf - Ortliebs
Red Fang - Underground Arts
Tedeschi Trucks Band - The Forum Hbg

Disappointing shows
Michael Kiwanuka - World Cafe Live - wish we would have gotten a table as this show didn't have the energy for standing.
Afghan Whigs - The Electric Factory sucks for sound, first 30 mins were really muddy sounding and there was no encore.
Pretty please with peanut butter pudding surprise on top??

dmooney99

1. Japandroids@ Union Transfer (12/8)
2. The Polyphonic Spree@ TLA (5/25)
3. My Morning Jacket & Band Of Horses@ Mann Music Center (8/17)
4. The Gaslight Anthem@ Electric Factory (11/27)
5. Made In America Festival@ Ben Franklin Parkway w/ Pearl Jam, Run-DMC, & Gary Clark Jr. (9/2)
6. Bloc Party@ The Troc (9/15)
7. The Polyphonic Spree@ The Troc (holiday show) (12/14)
8. The Black Keys/Arctic Monkeys@ Wells Fargo Center (3/10)
9. Firefly Music Festival@ Dover Downs w/ The Blacks Keys, Death Cab For Cutie, Cold War Kids (7/22)
10. Orion Music Festival@ Bader Field (AC) w/ Metallica, Gaslight Anthem, Cage The Elephant (6/23)
11. The Hives@ Electric Factory (6/20)
12. Firefly Music Festival@ Dover Downs w/The Killers, Yeasayer, Modest Mouse, CAKE (7/21)
13. Kasabian@ TLA (3/21)
14. Silversun Pickups@ Tower Theater (10/16)
15. The Shins@ Tower Theater (5/3)
16. Firefly Music Festival@ Dover Downs w/ Jack White, Silversun Pickups ( 7/20)
17. Orion Music Festical@ Bader Field (AC) w/ Metallica, Best Coast. Gary Clark Jr. (6/24)
18. Band Of Horses@ World Café Live (FAN show) (8/17)
19. Made In America Festival@ Ben Franklin Parkway w/ Jay-Z, Skrillex, Miike Snow & Passion Pit (9/1)
20. The Asteroids Galaxy Tour@ Union Transfer (2/2)
21. Nowadays Music Festival in Bethlehem, PA w/We Are Scientists & RJD2 (3/31)

buaawwww

SOUNDGARDEN... 1/22/2013... Hammerstein Ballroom, NYC.  Mind... completely... blown!

Soundgarden, "Beyond The Wheel". New York, NY. 1/22/13. Hammerstein Ballroom

Mahgeetah34

1. My Morning Jacket Forecastle (front row)
2. Jack White Chattanooga (front row)
3. The Avett Brothers Bonnaroo  (front row)
            ~ [TIE]~
3. St. Vincent Bonnaroo (second row)
5. My Morning Jacket Atlanta (front row)

kotchishm

1. The Walkmen - 9:30 Club - probably a slight lead for my favorite live band right now **shields face**
2. MMJ - MPP
3. War on Drugs - Opening for Walkmen
4. Jack White - MPP

Disappointments
Alabama Shakes at Virgin Fest - was not their scene
Black Keys at Verizon Center.
Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf

MrWhippy

Quote from: kotchishm on Feb 14, 2013, 01:23 PM
1. The Walkmen - 9:30 Club - probably a slight lead for my favorite live band right now **shields face**
2. MMJ - MPP
4. Jack White - MPP

Disappointments

Would like to meet you sometime, apparently we go to many of the same shows.  I was at everything on your list except for The Black Keys.

kotchishm

Quote from: MrWhippy on Feb 14, 2013, 01:45 PM
Quote from: kotchishm on Feb 14, 2013, 01:23 PM
2. MMJ - MPP
4. Jack White - MPP

Disappointments

Would like to meet you sometime, apparently we go to many of the same shows.  I was at everything on your list except for The Black Keys.

Going to Jim at 9:30?
Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf

MrWhippy