The Black Crowes are flying again!!!!

Started by buaawwww, Dec 25, 2012, 08:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shug

Sounds like Medicated Goo is being done pretty well.

http://youtu.be/teXlqbbfdpk

In 2006 they covered Pearly Queen a few times, but Marc Ford's vocals were a little rough.

http://www.livedownloads.com/live-music/0,3872/The-Black-Crowes-mp3-flac-download-5-27-2006-BC-Roadshow-Hampton-Beach-NH.html

In this show they covered Traffic, Beatles, Rolling Stones, Delaney and Bonnie, Joe Cocker, Grease Band and Derek and the Dominos.  They were cover crazy that year (and a few other years  :grin:)
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

LBSUNFLWR

:thumbsup: nice.
Countdown is on!!
5 dyas til The Ryman!

BH

Quote from: LBSUNFLWR on Apr 15, 2013, 02:51 PM
:thumbsup: nice.
Countdown is on!!
5 dyas til The Ryman!

Are you going to the Sunday Ryman show?    Anyone else?    Any pre show drinkin' plans?   My and a friend are driving down early Sunday and should be in town by early afternoon.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Shug

Two nights in Chicago for me starting tomorrow, but first, Lucero tonight!!!!

LBSUNFLWR

nice. Have fun Shug!! And report back!

I have 2 nights of Widespread Panic tomorrow and Wednesday.

BH - I'm travelling to Nashville from Louisville, and it will be my first time there, so I couldn't begin to tell you where to hang out before hand... We will be there for Saturday and Sunday.

Colfax

Anyone need a ticket for ATL? My friend now has an extra.

thecolfax AT gmail

Shug

I went to both nights of Chicago and night one was quite good, about what I was expecting, but nothing that was gonna make the critical me want to fly all over the country to see again and again, but I was really in a mood to just enjoy the hits and love whatever they played for what it is.  Having Tater and Robin to rock out with me and LD, though, was really so much fun and helped put me in such a good frame of mind to rock out and party.  How cool to be seeing them more than 20 years after the last time you saw them? You guys are the best, thanks for your great hospitality and positive vibes, it was a true pleasure to hang out and I can't wait to do it again at an MMJ show!

Night two, on the other hand was ON FIRE!!!!!  I mean, it was as good as any show I've seen since Marc Ford left.  They were truly feelin' it, smiles and chemistry and energy and passion all night.  Jackie was WAY more animated and aggressive on night two.  The set list was a dream come true for me.  There is still some magic left in this old band!

Chicago night one started out a bit tentatively, I thought, but it started picking up steam as it went on.  Desecending is always a favorite for me, so I was thrilled, even if Adam McDougall still basically ruins the piano solo in it (and is even worse in Wiser Time).  But all was forgotten and forgiven when they took it right into Jumpin' Jack Flash, a first time ever played by the Crowes, holy shit they are actually playing this!  I love me some Stones and no one does the Stones justice like the Black Crowes, oh yeah!!!!

Jackie played mandolin on She Talks To Angels and I think on Tonight I'll Be Staying Here, too. Jackie and Chris did the harmony vocals on Tonight I'll Be Staying (Sven might've been in the vocal mix, but Rich def. was not) and it sounded damn fine, I was way impressed they way their voices blended. Jackie's guitar solo on Sometimes Salvation was his best of the night. He played a baby blue Gibson SG on that song and on the Stones bustout Jumpin' Jack Flash. Rich also played an SG on that song and both of 'em were getting a real good Mick Taylor-ish tone.  Hush was really good, too, its such a great classic rock riff and there is nobody better at playing a sincere and inspired version of any classic rock chestnut than the Black Crowes. I was excited for the two songs (How Much For Your Wings and Bring On Bring On) from 3 Snakes in the encore, too, nice compositions that are pleasing to the hardcores. Rich's singing has come a long way in the last 10 years and he was sounding mighty fine on these two songs.  What I missed most was the backing singers.  They bring out the sweet Southern soulfulness in the music and I miss them when they arent there.

I also felt that Jackie is not loud enough in the mix.  He's got the ability to let loose in a style that I prefer to Luther's rounded, smoothed out slide/finger picking, but he needs to cut through more.  Not sure if that is his playing or the mix, but he rocked out a lot more on night two.

Night two had a good vibe for me from even before the show started and I knew it was gonna be a really good show.  The crowd felt happier and more excited than the night before and when the band came out, I felt it from them, too, lots of smiles on their faces and they were hot right out of the gate.  The show was packed with favorites of mine: Feelin' Alright, My Morning Song, Stare It Cold, Ballad In Urgency, Title Song!, Nonfiction, Oh Sweet Nuthin', Boomer's Story.  And even the songs I'm tired of, like Remedy and Thorn In My Pride seemed to come alive again for me with inspired ensemble-type jamming.    Oh Sweet Nuthin kicked some serious ass (Tater, I was bummed you missed this one as you were hoping for it) and had a longer arrangement than in the past, with a Jackie solo after verse/chorus 1, a Rich solo after verse/chorus 2 and then after doing a third chorus, where they'd typically end the song, they built up to another huge crescendo as an ensemble before bringing it gently back to earth and then sending us home with an excellent Boomer's Story, the great Ry Cooder train hobo song. Chris and Rich's vocals on this one blew me away.  With Rich's singing so improved and Chris in fine voice, it was getting close to the same league as some other famous brother vocal duets.

It was one of those shows that left me buzzing for hours afterwards, feeling so lucky to have been present for one of those magical nights when all the elements come together in a perfect combination for the magic to happen.  Oh YEAH!!!

Folks going to Ryman shows this weekend are lucky, especially the acoustic show on Sunday.

LBSUNFLWR

Thank you for that detailed review! :)
I got a hold of the sbds from Terminal 5 and one night of the 9:30 Club and listened a little last night and today. getting more and more excited for tomorrow and Sunday nights. Very excited to see the legendary Ryman for the first time as well.

I'm hoping they surprise us just a little and looking forward to that acoustic show with special guests. Surely some surprises that night!!!

Colfax

Quote from: Shug on Apr 19, 2013, 01:40 PM
I went to both nights of Chicago

Great review. Thanks for coming in today!

LBSUNFLWR

Loved The Ryman! Loved both shows!! Loved seeing Jackie on stage with them and think he absolutely looks like he belongs there. He did a great job both nights, even sang a song on the acoustic night. Nothing thrilling about the setlist the first night but excellent, high energy performance! Everyone in that band is amazing at what they do. Chris sounded as great as I have ever heard him and seemed happy as I've ever seen him as well!! Can't wait to see them again this summer! :)

Night 2, Acoustic show with Special guests was thrilling from the moment I walked in and saw 6 mic stands on stage. I walked by the soundboard and saw the setlist taped there and for a second I looked, and then stopped myself so I could be surprised! What a show! It was like The Black Crowes' last waltz. ;) At one point I counted 17 people on stage. Sam Bush was surprise guest #1 and spent most of the show out there. He added so much to the night. Audley Freed and Old crow Medicine show did as well. I was very happy to have been there for such a special night in such an incredible place!!

The Black Crowes
20 April 2013 - Ryman Auditorium - Nashville, TN [ USA ] 

S E T L I S T
Jealous Again
Thick N' Thin
Hotel Illness
My Morning Song -> Stare It Cold -> My Morning Song
Ballad In Urgency ->
Wiser Time
She Talks To Angels
Medicated Goo
Thorn In My Pride
Appaloosa
Natural Born Boogie
Remedy
Hard To Handle -> Hush -> Hard To Handle
- encore -
Descending ->
Jumpin' Jack Flash
Happy

Peter Frampton played guitar on Medicated Goo, Thorn In My Pride, Appaloosa and Natural Born Boogie

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Black Crowes
   21 April 2013 - Ryman Auditorium - Nashville, TN [ USA ] 

S E T L I S T
Soul Singing
Hotel Illness
Welcome To The Good Times
Whoa Mule
Feelin' Alright
Thorn In My Pride
Cash On The Barrelhead
Garden Gate
My Heart's Killing Me
Deep River Blues (1st time played)
All Along The Way
Someday Past The Sunset
East Virginia Blues
Lips That Lie (1st time played)
Last Place That Love Lives
Oh The Rain
The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down
What Is Home
Driving Wheel
Shine Along
Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues (1st time played)
- encore -
Poor Elijah - Tribute To Johnson (Medley)
That's How Strong My Love Is (1st time played)
Boomer's Story

Sam Bush played on Whoa Mule, My Heart's Killing Me, Feelin' Alright, Cash On The Barrelhead, Garden Gate, Deep River Blues, That's How Strong My Love Is and Boomer's Story

Audley Freed played on Feelin' Alright, That's How Strong My Love Is and Boomer's Story

Rich sang vocals on Feelin' Alright

Jackie Greene played banjo on Whoa Mule & Garden Gate and organ on Dixie Down

Chuck Mead sang lead vocals on Cash On The Barrelhead

Jackie Greene sang lead vocals on Deep River Blues with Chris, Sally & Sarah only

Rich solo acoustic on All Along That Way

Chris solo acoustic on Someday Past The Sunset

Old Crow Medicine Show, Chris, Rich, Jackie on East Virginia Blues, Last Place That Love Lives, Oh The Rain and The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down

All guests on Shine Along and Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

Penny Lane

Incredible!  Very bummed I missed this tour...and I really need to see Jackie Greene again...finally got to take a tour of the Ryman back in March and have always wanted to see a show there, damnit. Great set lists! Loved reading this and Shug's post, too..
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

LBSUNFLWR

:thumbsup: Even Rich smiled several times!! And I just love it when he sings!

Fully

I so wanted to go to these shows, but not being able to get on Ticketmaster at work kept me from getting tickets. They went so fast. I'm glad you had such a great time. Someone I know tweeted pictures of the stage full of people. They are coming back to Nashville July 19 at The Woods at Fontanel. It's a great outdoor venue so that will be cool too even if it doesn't have the awesome acoustics that The Ryman has. Thanks for the report back and the setlists!  :beer:

Taterbug

Shug,  Great review. Glad you enjoyed yourself.  I can say that after 20 years they still kick ass. I really had an awesome time.   I wish it wasn't that long between seeing them.   I really enjoyed hanging out with you and LD  before the show at Delilahs, great pick by the way.  Really cool tavern. It sounds like the BC gave you a better show night 2.  Can't wait to hang at an MMJ show in the future with you guys.    :beer:
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

Shug

Me, too, Tater!  Super fun times, we were really glad to have you and Robin rocking out with us and that you enjoyed the show so much. Thanks for your good Midwest hospitality, hope we get a chance to hang out again soon!

Thanks for the report, sunflower.  I would've loved to hear Frampton, especially on Humble Pie's Natural Born Boogie and then all those guests and great songs on Sunday.  That's How Strong My Love Is, wow!  I'd love to hear Chris sing that one!  Nothing more soulful than Otis Redding.  And how great is Rich's All Along The Way? I love that song and that whole album, Through a Crooked Sun.

The tour with Tedeschi Trucks Band is such a massive double bill, that will also be a treat for those that didn't make this first leg of the Crowes tour.

BH

Friday night's St. Louis show was very good but not great.    SUNDAY AT THE RYMAN, however was spectacular!    Best Crowes show I've ever seen, and that's saying something!     Sam Bush stole the show.    They should make Sam a part of the band and play acoustic half of every show!    So great.    Loved the Ryman too.

(On a related note, the band NEEDS to have the female back up singers at every show.   They were at the Ryman show but I'm assuming they are not on the full tour.    For $60 I think they can handle having them at every show.)
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Shug

Quote from: BH on Apr 23, 2013, 02:36 PM
(On a related note, the band NEEDS to have the female back up singers at every show.   They were at the Ryman show but I'm assuming they are not on the full tour.    For $60 I think they can handle having them at every show.)

totally agree, BH.  Apparently the lady singers they had at the Ryman on Sunday were not Charity and Mona, though, who had been with them consistently since 2005.  Having the backing vocals is crucial to the sound for me.

LBSUNFLWR

I don't know who the 2 women were at the Ryman. They most definitely were not Charity and Mona, and of no relation! These 2 were cool, sounded nice...but in no way could replace the former ladies on tour. I always loved hearing them too! :)

LBSUNFLWR

Poor Elijah has become a very fun part of the show!

Would love to see them release a DVD of these 2 nights! But hope the liveblackcrowes sbds will be released soon so everyone can hear!