Continuing My Quest To Search For Great Music

Started by EverythingChanges, Jan 01, 2013, 09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EverythingChanges

Ever since Forecastle 2012, I have been obsessing over new music.  Since then I have discovered the likes of Dr. Dog, Explosions in the Sky, Menomena, M. Ward, Wilco, Monsters of Folk, Bright Eyes, Grizzly Bear, Beach House, Fleet Foxes, Everest, White Denim, Alabama Shakes, Avett Brothers, Wax Fang and Tame Impala.  I have enjoyed all these additions to my music library (especially Wilco, Dr. Dog, Menomena, M. Ward, MoF, and EitS). 

I am looking for another band to discover.  I want to find a band that has great live shows.  I love concept records, records that take a few listens to really get into, but once you get it, you love it etc., etc. 

I have been sampling Arcade Fire, Angus and Julia Stone, Father John Misty, JBT's April Uprising, Futurebirds and a couple of other, but I can't decide whether any of them are what I am looking for or if I am overlooking some other great new band on the scene. 

Thanks to anyone who throws me some suggestions!
I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck

EverythingChanges

I noticed that I accidentally posted this in the MMJ music section, if a mod could move it to Off Topic I would be thankful!  My apologies.

MamaKel

Well Houndmouth, Lydia Burrell and The Fruit Bats all played at Forecastle as well...and I've really dug everything I've heard by them.  I got SUPER into Ben Sollee who was also there.  He's insane.  Everything he touches turns into a gold record that plays in your heart.  I like everything Michael Kiwanuka has put into my life as well.  He's so old skool, it's rad-iculous.

EverythingChanges

I'll have to check some of those out.  I have the Houndmouth EP and I've listened to some Fruit Bats (I like them too).

MamaKel

These would be my introductions:

Lydia Burrell - Tuxedo (Gonzofest 2011)
Lydia Burrell-Tuxedo

Houndmouth - Houston Train: UTOPiA Sessions SXSW 2012
Houndmouth-Houston Train

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3fF9g2R7Bw
Fruit Bats-You're Too Weird (AMAZING video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTa28a8QKo4
Michael Kiwanuka-Tell Me A Tale

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWlG-w0P6Gs
Ben Sollee-Electrified

Quite honestly, I stole most of these suggestions from just paying attention to the band and what they listen to.  I like to look into who they've collaborated with, who they've toured with...and a lot of the time, they post stuff on Twitter about what they're listening to.  I think a while back everyone in the band made playlists, which had a TON of great music...I totally forgot what website that was on though...maybe someone knows...

MamaKel

Quote from: EverythingChanges on Jan 02, 2013, 12:42 AM
I'll have to check some of those out.  I have the Houndmouth EP and I've listened to some Fruit Bats (I like them too).
Well there you go! I think we have similar music tastes, so feel free to toss me any new suggestions too...and I will do the same.  Another band that I've liked is Dawes. I haven't gotten really into them yet, but everything I've heard has something really special.

Tracy 2112

I posted a similar thread about a year ago which led me to what is already one of my all time favorite albums, but you can forget about the great live show or being new to the scene:

Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

Jaimoe

Hey American Rush fans, recognize the setting/studio where this video was shot? If you don't know the pioneering '70s hard rock Canadian band, then too bad for you. Another CanRock band that the Sheepdogs lovingly ripped off. Tracy will love this:

April Wine - I Like To Rock Official Video

Tracy 2112

Quote from: Jaimoe on Jan 02, 2013, 10:56 AM
Hey American Rush fans, recognize the setting/studio where this video was shot? If you don't know the pioneering '70s hard rock Canadian band, then too bad for you. Another CanRock band that the Sheepdogs lovingly ripped off. Tracy will love this:

April Wine - I Like To Rock Official Video

Le Studio!

Tom Sawyer - Rush (Official Video)
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

he.who.forgets

Give Portugal.The Man a listen.  Their album The Satanic Satanist, is near flawless in my opinion.

davymac

Quote from: he.who.forgets on Jan 02, 2013, 12:11 PM
Give Portugal.The Man a listen. 

Also check out Tame Impala and/or Lambchop...You already mentioned it but I've been on a huge beach house kick lately.  I'm also a big Modest Mouse fan too

Northern Neighbour

I think Arcade Fire is one of the best groups in the business.  The arrangements and songwriting are top notch.  They are also fantastic live.  Start in chronological order with their stuff - "Funeral" is an outstanding album and "The Suburbs" is great, great songwriting.

TV on the Radio is another band that is at the top of its game.  Radiohead, Arcade Fire, and TV on the Radio, IMO, are the best three bands over the last decade in terms of providing the entire package.

I like Portugal. The Man as well and would highly recommend them.

Check out indie icons Yo La Tengo.  They have a new record coming out later this month, but their discography is long.

If you want just rock 'n roll, I would recommend anything by Ty Segall (also search under the Ty Segall Band).  Also check out Black Mountain, King Tuff, METZ, Swans (really heavy, though), and Thee Oh Sees.

For indie music with an R&B twist, my suggestions would be Blood Orange, Jessie Ware, Twin Shadow, Wild Nothing, Woods, and How to Dress Well. (Note: not all their songs are R&B-esque, but some are.)

For a bit more electronic/synth (could be club-like to lo-fi synth), there's M83, Crystal Castles, The Antlers, Purity Ring, Grimes, Frankie Rose, Exitmusic, and Matthew Dear.

If you like 2-piece garage bands, Japandroids, P.S. I Love You, and The Pack A.D. are worth a listen.

For a 60s sound, Foxygen is a great band to check out.  They released a 7-song EP last year and will release their full-length LP shortly.  The Walkmen are another retro-sounding band of which I am a big fan.  The Hold Steady are Springsteen like.

If you want more folk-oriented / bluegrass / alt-country music, Neko Case, Ryan Adams, Sharon Van Etten, The Great Lake Swimmers, Trampled by Turtles, The Head and the Heart, The Boy & the Bear, Mac Demarco, and Justin Townes Earle are excellent artists/bands.

Finally, if you want something a little closer to mainstream but not top-40 stuff, Tennis, Metric, Passion Pit, DIIV, Weird Dreams, The Ravonettes, Yeasayer, Bat for Lashes, and Vampire Weekend.

Ruckus

Check out Crippled Black Phoenix if you get the chance man.  I mention them only because I recall your love of Pink Floyd.  They have a number of concept albums that grow with multiple listens and have a heavy Floyd influenced sound among other things.  They are a British supergroup and have had a revolving door of members since their inception.  I have yet to see them live but I know the Europeans that have can vouch for their shows. 
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

capt. scotty

Quote from: EverythingChanges on Jan 01, 2013, 09:40 PM
I have been sampling Arcade Fire, Angus and Julia Stone, Father John Misty, JBT's April Uprising, Futurebirds and a couple of other, but I can't decide whether any of them are what I am looking for or if I am overlooking some other great new band on the scene. 

While I love John Butler Trio, this album was a huge disappointment to not only myself but much of the fanbase. You cant go wrong with any of their 1st 3 albums, but Id recommend Sunrise Over Sea as the best starting point probably as stylistically it is their most varied and creative. Their debut Three is real rootsy,raw, and emotionally charged but a sound they have long moved away from. I think Grand National is their most accessible album, but despite being a fan since early on, I consider it nearly flawless as well.

Either way, just put April Uprising to the side for now and go for one of their earlier albums. On those albums, they had yet to write a song I didnt like and became one of my favorite bands going, yet I think nearly half of April Uprising is forgettable, boring, and/or lyrically/topically reminiscent of a prior song but not as good. It does have its moments though, namely Take Me, Ragged Mile, Revolution, Johnny's Gone, and I'd Do Anything, but it doesnt even compare to their first 3 albums. I dont think its terrible, their first 3 were really just that great.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

EverythingChanges

I love JBT's earlier stuff, especially Grand Nation.  I am weary of AU for those exact reasons. 

Thanks everyone for your great suggestions.  I love making threads like this on this board, everyone seems to know exactly what to suggest here.

I will have to research CBP Ruckus, you have me very intrigued. 

I did decide to grab Funeral and Suburbs from Arcade Fire and I am not regretting it! I can't wait to listen to some of the other suggestions from everyone.  I appreciate the feedback!