MPA vs. guitar tabs

Started by seamus, Jul 27, 2006, 01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkeye

Just wondering if any of you other guitar players have heard what is going on with the tab sites.  The MPA (music publisher's association) is claiming copyright infringement and threatening to shut down this great tab site:

http://www.guitartabs.cc/

(Go to this site for a better explanation of what is fully going on)

Apparently at least 3 or 4 other large tab sites have already been shut down...Not wanting to be alarmist but could our tab site be next?  

I encourage all guitar players who have ever learned from our used online tabs to go to the above site and register with MuSATO (Music Student and Teacher Organization) to try and save these tabs!!  Also any thoughts/ideas of anything else we could do to help would be very much appreciated

Thanks for your time,
Dan
We could.

aMD

I don't think our tabs website is threatened by this.  All this saber-ratlling over guitar tabs is pretty ridiculous in the first place if you ask me.  My favorite bob dylan tabs site has been shut down for over a year.  But I would think that since the site has been approved by the band and management that we would not have to worry about any copyright enfringement.

I was thinking about expanding the website to include tabs of the covers that they have played but this may get me in trouble with the copyright police.

Angry Ewok

Man, this is a huge disapointment for me... I'm a poor guy, I can't afford lessons, and everything I know at this point, which isn't much, is thanks very much to the guitar tabs sites, where I've practically taught myself...
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

aMD

man, this sucks!  OLGA and guitar tab universe are shut down!  Here's a link to good article about the situation:
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060814-7498.html

I still don't think the mmj tabs site will be affected, but I can't find any decent gram parsons tabs and it's pissing me off.

corey

That's all a load of horse shit if you ask me. It's fucking ridiculous.

Angry Ewok

So does this mean I should start saving these tabs sites on cache ASAP?

aMD

QuoteSo does this mean I should start saving these tabs sites on cache ASAP?

i'd say that'd be pretty smart.  Let me know if you find any gram parsons.

Angry Ewok

Good news... the website that I've always used for my tabs is actually based in RUSSIA, where the iron fist of the MPA has absolutely no grounds whatsoever.

Only has 13 Gram Parsons songs, though...

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/gram_parsons_tabs.htm

Hawkeye

I haven't looked that closely at any of these tabs but they have 25 G.P. tabs at www.gramparsons.com
We could.

aMD

thanks seamus. that looks good.  

btw, down with the MPA!

tomEisenbraun

sons of bitches. OLGA was one of the best places ever.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

MyLifeISought

Olga rocked. When i started learning (seven years ago now...),  i frequented TabCrawler
"Music is my savior
I was tamed by rock and roll
I was maimed by rock and roll
Got my name from rock and roll"
-Wilco