Queen at Live Aid 1985

Started by ericm, Feb 01, 2013, 09:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ericm

I never tire of watching this. They owned  the stage that summer day, and the best of all the performers at either stadium, IMO. There were some great bands at Wembley, and JFK, and most of them kicked ass. I loved U2, Dire Straits, Phil Collins, Clapton, The Who, and even enjoyed the Led Zep reunion with a drunken Jimmy Page,  :wink:  but Queen RULED!!

Queen Live Aid Full Video HQ
"Where's Jim going?"

jaye

They stole the show!  My kids love watching this - especially when they show everyone clapping during radio ga ga.  :smiley:

Jaimoe

Queen are not even close to one of my favourite bands, but their Live Aid performance remains one of the best one-offs in rock history. They blew every act off the stage(s).

I got up early on the morning and watched the entire Live Aid fundraiser live (I even recorded some of it on my VCR; still have the tape, although its starting to disintegrate). Some bands were "on", but I beg to differ that Live Aid had lots of great performances. I think a few bands such as Queen and U2 kicked ass, but the '60s legends really showed their advancing age while many of the others were irrelevant to North Americans in general and/or not exciting live bands (Spandau Ballet, Style Council) and others have disappeared into irrelevance (Paul Young, The Zombies, Howard Jones, Nik Kershaw); some acts were hilariously bad (Billy Ocean, Dylan with Ronnie and Keith). I think the enormity of the event wasn't condusive to generating greatness on stage. Still, it was cool seeing so many big artists getting together for one huge good will event. I watched most of Live Aid again recently and it made me long for Woodstock and The Last Waltz.

Ruckus

Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

SaraBananaBear

Yes! Love Queen and this one is just magic! :thumbsup:
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket