Main Menu

Mike Cooley

Started by rincon2, Feb 16, 2013, 12:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rincon2

Going tonight to see Cooley in Hollywood, and tomorrow in Santa Monica. No one I know even knows who he is so I made a Drive-By Truckers Cooley sampler for my friends that are going with me. As I listen to his songs, without hearing 65% of Patterson Hood tunes mixed in, it is really amazing this guy is not a star. A humorous, cantankerous, poet, who's music is like a direct cross between Johnny Cash and Bruce Springsteen.

headhunter

Mike Cooley is one of the best song-writers out there.  I saw him with Penny Lane and some other's solo in NYC a few months back.  Awesome live performance with great classic Cooley banter.  Not to be missed if he is around.  His solo shows are rare and special.

was some shakin' and some record playin'

rincon2

headhunter, do you think people unfamiliar with his music will enjoy a solo show? Maybe I should by single tickets to stuff like this, but that is no fun.

Tired Eyes

Cooley talks much more during solo shows than DBT shows.  That may help acclimate the first-timers to his show.  Plus the songs are so great!  Have a great time at the shows.

headhunter

Good question.  While I think it helps to know DBT music to enjoy a Truckers show, I don't think you need to know any of Cooley's songs in advance to enjoy his solo shows.  The mellow acoustic side of these shows lets you easily hear all the words and even if unfamiliar with Mike's music, these lyrics stay with you well after the song is over.  His easy-going banter and quick wit is fun and entertaining.

Anyone who likes acoustic music and good singer-songwriters should enjoy a solo Cooley show.  While DBT may be an acquired taste for some,  I think the first time you see MC solo, you are hooked.

was some shakin' and some record playin'

rincon2

I think Patterson is an acquired taste, even though he is what hooked me on DBT. Cooley is far too talented in a classic way to really be considered an acquired taste. I think the reason he is not more known is he is not as prolific as Patterson.

rincon2

Quote from: headhunter on Feb 16, 2013, 05:11 PM
Good question.  While I think it helps to know DBT music to enjoy a Truckers show, I don't think you need to know any of Cooley's songs in advance to enjoy his solo shows.  The mellow acoustic side of these shows lets you easily hear all the words and even if unfamiliar with Mike's music, these lyrics stay with you well after the song is over.  His easy-going banter and quick wit is fun and entertaining.

Anyone who likes acoustic music and good singer-songwriters should enjoy a solo Cooley show.  While DBT may be an acquired taste for some,  I think the first time you see MC solo, you are hooked.
My friend for night 2 said it was the best show I ever took him to. He never heard of Mike Cooley, and I took him to MMJ Pantages, MMJ Wiltern night 3, and New Multitudes, directly in front of Jim. My friend from night 1 of Cooley was grinding with the gravel voiced chick in this video, that Cooley was probably talking about. They jabbered the whole show, then she ditched him.  Mike Cooley. Panties In Your Purse Hollywood 2-16-13