Main Menu

Mark Kozelek...

Started by sweatboard, Mar 01, 2013, 01:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sweatboard

Thank You God!!!   :grin: :evil: :thumbsup: :tongue: :grin: :cheesy: :cheesy: :kiss: :thumbsup: :cool: :shocked: :cheesy:
There's Still Time.........

sweatboard

I really think that Among The Leaves could be my favorite album ever made.  The honesty in the lyrics and the percision of the songwritting aren't often paired together.  It's as if he intentionly bridged the gap between his passion to become a songwritter and his "success" in doing so.....and then made fun of the whole fucking bullshit thing.....while still getting a 6.7 from pitchfork.     

BH

Quote from: sweatboard on Mar 01, 2013, 02:01 AM
I really think that Among The Leaves could be my favorite album ever made.  The honesty in the lyrics and the percision of the songwritting aren't often paired together.  It's as if he intentionly bridged the gap between his passion to become a songwritter and his "success" in doing so.....and then made fun of the whole fucking bullshit thing.....while still getting a 6.7 from pitchfork.   

Yes!    Looking back, it is definately one of my favorites from last year.     Song for Richard and Track No. 8 are some favorites of mine.      What's the deal with the live CD in your first post.   I saw he had an collab album coming out with The Album Leaf.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Penny Lane

I wanna chime in on MK! I loved Among the Leaves...it's such a great subway riding album. I'd listen to it for days on end, it's so beautiful. If I'm not in the mood, then I can't take the voice, but when I'm in a somber mood, I need to hear it. One of the reviews (or someone here) said his voice is like an instrument itself. Big member of the MK fan club. (although I didn't think any of the RHP stuff was as good as SKM)
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Tracy 2112

I am deeply appreciative of Sweaty and Penny (and Mikey) for turning me on to Sun Kil Moon (surprising, b/c most of the music that the 3 of them listen to is boring, trite and trendy) and subsequently I went back and bought everything Marky has done: SKM, RHP and solo. I saw him in the fall and he did a lot of the Leaves stuff which was fantastic. Sassy and I had a brief discussion on FB b/c she suggested a Xanax lick would have been helpful in the lobby during his shows, and although I do agree with this sentiment, I appreciate his ability to reach the malaise, melancholy, and sadness that resides in a lot of us and I wouldn't exchange his "downer" stage presence for nuthin' (well, perhaps front row tix to the Rush show in May).

plus, he's a Mount Vesuvius of sexual tension

Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

BH

I routinely play a Sun Kil Moon album on Saturday morning while I make breakfast and clean the kitchen.    Nothing sounds better early with a cup of coffee for a hang over.   For some reason in the morning it sounds more hopefull, while at night it's darker and depressing.   (But depressing in the way I like it.)

Sun Kil Moon - Track Number 8
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

sweatboard

Quote from: BH on Mar 01, 2013, 09:34 AM
Quote from: sweatboard on Mar 01, 2013, 02:01 AM

Yes!    Looking back, it is definately one of my favorites from last year.     Song for Richard and Track No. 8 are some favorites of mine.      What's the deal with the live CD in your first post.   I saw he had an collab album coming out with The Album Leaf.

I dont really know, I found it on rhapsody, and it was all that I could have hoped for as far as a live album from among the leaves.  Kinda of the realization of what Tracy described earlier.

sweatboard

room 222 with the ceiling fan low

sweatboard

it's supposed to be funny...guess it's not...

sweatboard

sweatboard

If anybody does figure out how to get this album on vinyl I would love to know how  :kiss:

sweatboard

songwrittings lonely, songwritting hurts....ask shannon hoon

sweatboard

I struggled like a marlin on an unlucky day

sweatboard

as if this city isn't depressing enough

sweatboard

Quote from: CC Baxter on Mar 02, 2013, 04:32 AM
MARK KOZELEK - Live at the Shivering Songs Festival on Vimeo

your link does not work webmaster....you should fix that.

what time is it in belgium?  Is it saturday?

sweatboard

ok, now it's working.  Thanks friend. 

sweatboard

This is the first time I've ever SEEN him live...thanks Riny

CC

gonna see him for the first time in may

in this place

Fully

That looks like the perfect setting for this music. I've been listening to Sun Kil Moon for a couple of years, but I haven't really gone too deep in even though I love Among the Leaves. Reading this thread makes me want to spend some more time with this music. (I get distracted by so many things that I often don't do things I want/had planned to do and this music is one of those things)