Main Menu

Local Music

Started by midnightrambler, Mar 01, 2013, 11:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

midnightrambler

I am a big fan of supporting local music but, being from a smaller city in Canada, I find it really difficult to find good local music. I happened to stumble upon this band The ZILIS one night and I was very impressed. You guys should definitely check them out. Does anyone have any good local bands that they can recommend for me to check out?

You could check out their music heere : www.thezilis.com

LeanneP

Hey, they're from Hamilton! That's where I'm at  :smiley:

Another amazing Hamilton band is The Dinner Belles.
Babe, let's get one thing clear, there's much more stardust when you're near.

alienlanes

midnightrambler, where do you live in Canada?

Angelo

Cabinet is a local band from my neck of the woods in PA. They are outgrowing the local tag if they haven't already. Last year they opened Allman Bros Peach Fest and this year they have their very own little festival in Scranton, PA. A six-piece bluegrass band is the easiest way to describe them but they are so much more its really not fair to pigeonhole them like that.

I can't recommend them enough, you can give them a listen here: http://www.cabinetmusic.com/music but they are much better on stage. They have a bunch of live shows available on archive here: http://www.archive.org/download/http://archive.org/details/Cabinet. The Jazz Cafe shows on 12/21 & 12/22 are a good place to start.  :beer:

midnightrambler

Hey Leanne, thanks for the suggestion, I will definitely take a listen. You should come out to a show next time The ZILIS are playing!!

Alienlanes, I currently live in Hamilton, Ontario!

Wow Angelo, I can't wait to listen to them! Thanks so much for the recommendation! Were you able to give The ZILIS a listen? Wondering what you think?

justbcuzido

I live in Austin, so we have more local bands than I could even list. I did just see this group the other night and they put on one hell of a show. The band is called Quiet Company.

Quiet Company - "You, Me & the Boatman" Official video
Mona Lisa must'a had the highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles.

Angelo

Quote from: midnightrambler on Mar 04, 2013, 01:04 PM
Hey Leanne, thanks for the suggestion, I will definitely take a listen. You should come out to a show next time The ZILIS are playing!!

Alienlanes, I currently live in Hamilton, Ontario!

Wow Angelo, I can't wait to listen to them! Thanks so much for the recommendation! Were you able to give The ZILIS a listen? Wondering what you think?

I did give them a listen. Pretty good stuff, rambler! They sound like they'd be fun live.

midnightrambler

Angelo - I really enjoyed Cabinet a lot. Thank you so much for the recommendation. Yes, they are very good live. If ever you come around my neck of the woods you should definitely check them out, you won't be sorry.

justbcuzido - I also really enjoyed Quiet Company. They have quite a following on Facebook eh.

Thank you guys so much for the recommendations, I always love learning and hearing new music. Keep them coming!

Also, here is The ZILIS first music video, check it out: The Zilis - Coyote Nowhere [Official Video]

Ghosts_on_TV

I'll second Cabinet, as Angelo and I are from the same area. I used to date their mandolin players sister, so I went to free Cabinet shows all the time...that was cool. Also, as if I didn't already talk about them enough, Strand of Oaks. They are Philly based now, but started in Wilkes-Barre. They are on tour with The Tallest Man on Earth and going on tour with Phosphorescent later this year.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

davymac

You should check out a band called New Madrid, they're from Athens, GA (which breeds good music)...they have a similar sound to mmj with more of a cosmic southern rock  twang.  I personally really like their song writing too...I'm pretty sure they're on spotify now

e_wind

Are they wilco fans
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

midnightrambler

Hey davymac, thanks for the suggestion, I will definitely check them out!

e_wind - who are you asking if they like Wilco?

spence

Just listened to New Madrid's Yardboat on Spotify.  It's a good listen.  Thanks for that.  I do like Athens music, I'm going to see the Futurebirds later this month.
I lived in Athens for 5 years in the 90's.  My roommate was a friend of John Neff so we used to go see the Star Room Boys everytime they played.  We also saw the very early DBT's around or just before Gangstabilly would have come out when John played with them.  I remember seeing them in some old building where they played.  It wasn't a venue, but it was near the 40 Watt.  We had to bring our own beer.  The truckers were not quite my thing though.  I always liked the Star Room Boys much better.

Ruckus

Here are some of my favorites

Dope Body - bad ass noise rock that can move from punk/hardcore to straight sludge.  Their album Natural History from last year was one of my favorites.  They are a trip live!  Here's a new one
Dope Body "Leather Head"

Caleb Stine - alt country/folk/Americana - I used to love his live shows with the Brakemen though lately it seems he's been exploring different projects.  Love this guy.
Caleb Stine & The Brakemen "Daniel Boone"

Secret Mountains - psych/folk/pop band on the cusp of bigger things I believe.  Perhaps a more layered, heavier Beach House?
Secret Mountains, "Make Love Stay"

The Pilgrim - killer hard driving rock with dueling guitars.  Huge live sound
Pilgrim | 07-06-2012 | Barclay House

Flying Eyes - blues tinged psych rock.  sooo good!  These guys should be huge but perhaps this genre's market is a bit saturated or they are just in the wrong city.
The Flying Eyes - Overboard (Official Video)

Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

he.who.forgets