Main Menu

Wolf People

Started by Ruckus, Mar 20, 2013, 10:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruckus

New album 4/29!!  Sooo stoked!  Now tour the US please!

The lead single
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4Kxuuuftd4
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Crispy

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

They have GOT to tour here soon.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

johnnYYac

Quote from: Ruckus on Mar 20, 2013, 10:31 AM
New album 4/29!!  Sooo stoked!  Now tour the US please!

The lead single
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4Kxuuuftd4
I've liked all the WP you've sent our way, Ruckus!  Thanks for the heads up. 
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Fully

Yay!!! I wore Sheeple out!!!(that's what I call Steeple, btw) in case you haven't noticed, I like to make up my own names...

johnnYYac

I was looking at picking up some Phosphorescent on vinyl and discovered the same outfit has Wolf People LPs, and will have the new one, "Fain", on 4/30.

http://www.scdistribution.com/search.html?search=search&keywords=wolf+people&label=Jagjaguwar&x=38&y=21

Come Closer

Bump. Fain is quite good.

Ruckus

Quote from: Osistheones on Apr 30, 2013, 09:58 PM
Bump. Fain is quite good.
Really liking it!  I checked this morning at 2am EST and it still wasn't available on Spotify but thankfully it was later tonight.  They have remained true to their sound but it sounds heavier and funkier.  The rhythm section seems to be driving a lot of it and while the British folk inspired vocals remain, it doesn't sound like derivative and repetitive throwback, psychedelic rock.  They have created a unique sound for themselves.

Fully

Thanks for reminding me that this thread exists, Ruckus. I can't wait to listen to the album.

johnnYYac

I have to manage the mp3 download for the time being, somewhat quietly in my classroom this morning.  I'm diggin' it, no question.  Just needs to be cranked on the turntable... soon!

Ruckus

Hope you got to crank it Johnny!  The LP showed up today.  Man the guitar work is sublime.  They bring to mind all my favorite bands that have complex guitars playing off of each other in some way such as Scale the Summit, Baroness, Television and even White Denim doing At the Farm.  Yet it's a sound all their own.  I don't even need the vocals.  Heavy prog folk it is...

johnnYYac

I did!  Definitely benefits from volume, and I love it even more.  Funny, though, when Michele came home, entered the room, and said, "is this Jethro Tull?"   :huh:

Crispy

AGH! Stop talking! I forgot to order my copy and I don't have a record store within 60 miles!

(It's okay, I'm listening on Spotify, which is really not okay though)
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

Fully

I sent it to a friend via spotify. She thinks Tull too.

Ruckus

Quote from: Fully on May 02, 2013, 12:33 PM
I get that in a general sense but the guitar interplay and rhythmic ideas are a little more modern no?  This album has an "edge" to it.  Plus they left the flute with Tiny Circles ;)

I'll dig up some Tull.  I don't know what I should dig up other than Aqualung

Fully

I can see why someone would thin Tull, but it's far superior to Tull IMO.

Crispy

Quote from: Ruckus on May 02, 2013, 12:49 PM
Quote from: Fully on May 02, 2013, 12:33 PM
I get that in a general sense but the guitar interplay and rhythmic ideas are a little more modern no?  This album has an "edge" to it.  Plus they left the flute with Tiny Circles ;)

I'll dig up some Tull.  I don't know what I should dig up other than Aqualung

Dig up Thick as a Brick and Living in the Past—there is no question that Wolf People are highly influenced by Jethro Tull, but they also very much have their own thing going on. I think the older Tull stuff comes into play too, especially on Tidings. I do like the flute, maybe they thought they were being too literal...or liTULLeral. HAHAHAHA

Anyway, I love this band and the new record, but that is a very bold statement, Fully, even if it's just your O.   :wink:

Sidus

Seeing them live the 30th of May  :cool:

bigloop

I know I listened to it when it came out, but Steeple fell through the cracks.  A first listen to FAIN, and I can't believe the first one didn't catch my interest more.  This one is a standout!  It's got everything I like about foggy English psych-prog-folk, but with a touch of post-rock Tortise thrown in to keep the retro-critic at bay.

Looks like a NA tour in the fall (their first?), in the opening slot.  Anyone know anything about UMO?

10/14/13 Boston, MA – Brighton Music Hall w/ Unknown Mortal Orchestra
10/15/13 Montreal, QC – Cabaret Mile End w/ Unknown Mortal Orchestra
10/16/13 Toronto, ON – Lee's Palace w/ Unknown Mortal Orchestra
10/17/13 Detroit, MI – Magic Stick Lounge w/ Unknown Mortal Orchestra
10/18/13 Columbus, OH – Ace of Cups w/ Unknown Mortal Orchestra
10/19/13 Pittsburgh, PA – Altar w/ Unknown Mortal Orchestra

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: bigloop on May 24, 2013, 10:48 PM
I know I listened to it when it came out, but Steeple fell through the cracks.  A first listen to FAIN, and I can't believe the first one didn't catch my interest more.  This one is a standout!  It's got everything I like about foggy English psych-prog-folk, but with a touch of post-rock Tortise thrown in to keep the retro-critic at bay.

Looks like a NA tour in the fall (their first?), in the opening slot.  Anyone know anything about UMO?

10/14/13 Boston, MA – Brighton Music Hall w/ Unknown Mortal Orchestra
10/15/13 Montreal, QC – Cabaret Mile End w/ Unknown Mortal Orchestra
10/16/13 Toronto, ON – Lee's Palace w/ Unknown Mortal Orchestra
10/17/13 Detroit, MI – Magic Stick Lounge w/ Unknown Mortal Orchestra
10/18/13 Columbus, OH – Ace of Cups w/ Unknown Mortal Orchestra
10/19/13 Pittsburgh, PA – Altar w/ Unknown Mortal Orchestra

considering going to the Pittsburgh show, but not sure if it's worth it to see them open for a band I've never heard of.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

bigloop

$13 in Brighton. Early night if the headliner doesn't grab me. I'd say it's worth it.

Have they ever played the US before?