Main Menu

Wolf People

Started by Ruckus, Mar 20, 2013, 10:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ManNamedTruth

Listening to Unknown Mortal Orchestra on spotify and I don't think they're all that good. Don't see how they could be more headliner worthy than Wolf People. They do somehow have more likes on their facebook page than Wolf People.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

ManNamedTruth

Alright, they sound better live than on the album. Anyone else care to chime in?

Unknown Mortal Orchestra live in Paradiso

Crispy

Yeah, not loving Unknown Mortal Orchestra so far (they do sound pretty cool live, though). But I would gladly pay whatever price to see Wolf People open for them or anybody else. In fact, I might be convinced to go to Pittsburgh on October 19th for just that reason, and hope some kind soul takes me to the Stillers game the next day.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: Crispy on Jun 05, 2013, 09:07 AM
Yeah, not loving Unknown Mortal Orchestra so far (they do sound pretty cool live, though). But I would gladly pay whatever price to see Wolf People open for them or anybody else. In fact, I might be convinced to go to Pittsburgh on October 19th for just that reason, and hope some kind soul takes me to the Stillers game the next day.

Let me know if you can make it Crispy! As far as the Steelers game goes, I prefer to watch on the TV. I've only been to one regular season game and one preseason game.

Sidus

So I recently saw Wolf People live for the second time. I was really impressed! This is one of these bands that sounds much better live than on record. Don't get me wrong, I love their albums, but their live show is just phenomenal! :cheesy: For example, I also saw Menomena recently and I really love their albums. Their live show however, was not that special IMO (but they had a bad day, singer was a bit sick). Wolf People's show was really something special! Highly recommended to see them live!

Crispy

Quote from: Sidus on Jun 13, 2013, 06:31 AM
So I recently saw Wolf People live for the second time. I was really impressed! This is one of these bands that sounds much better live than on record. Don't get me wrong, I love their albums, but their live show is just phenomenal! :cheesy: For example, I also saw Menomena recently and I really love their albums. Their live show however, was not that special IMO (but they had a bad day, singer was a bit sick). Wolf People's show was really something special! Highly recommended to see them live!

WOW, better than the records? The records are awesome! Jesus, I need to see these guys. MNT, you may need to get a couch ready. To help you watch the Steelers game the next day, of course!
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

Ruckus

Quote from: Crispy on Jun 13, 2013, 10:24 AM

WOW, better than the records? The records are awesome! Jesus, I need to see these guys. MNT, you may need to get a couch ready. To help you watch the Steelers game the next day, of course!
Ah Sidus you lucky dog!  I'm sure they are going to add dates Crispy.  If they don't, I intend on making the Pittsburgh show somehow.

So there is unbearable talking going on throughout this (Americans at that) but from 3:30-4:00ish on makes it all worth it.  The jam towards the conclusion of When the Fire is Dead in the Grate is the highlight of many highlights scattered throughout Fain.

http://youtu.be/isFj0hIr8zQ
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Sidus

Quote from: Crispy on Jun 13, 2013, 10:24 AM

Well I guess it's very comparable to MMJ. The jams are great on CD, but in a live setting they're from an even higher level. Everything falls to place. Even Cromlech, which I usually skip on CD, sound great live. The guys are jamming all the time, high levels of energy. Only thing is that the show was quite short (1h20m), but of course they only have 2 albums out (they played every song).

These guys have the potential to become one of my all time favorites  :thumbsup:

Crispy

Sidus, you are indeed a lucky dog. I am vowing to get to a Wolf People show this year, and hopefully they will get closer to me than Pittsburgh (ignoring Columbus), but it sounds like we might just have to have an Asshole gathering there anyway. Ruckus, you know the Steelers game is against the Ravens the next day?  :wink:

Quote from: Sidus on Jun 14, 2013, 05:29 AM
These guys have the potential to become one of my all time favorites  :thumbsup:

Already there.  :beer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcTUJim37lE

Crispy

Well, it's not closer to me than Pittsburgh, but now Wolf People will be playing a few headlining gigs in NYC and Philly:

11th October 2013 – New York, NY – Knitting Factory, Brooklyn (headline gig)

12th October 2013 – Philadelphia, PA – Ortlieb's (headline gig)

13th October 2013 – New York, NY – Mercury Lounge (headline gig)

14th October 2013 – Boston, MA – Brighton Music Hall supporting Unknown Mortal Orchestra

15th October 2013 – Montreal, QC – Cabaret Mile End supporting Unknown Mortal Orchestra

16th October 2013 – Toronto, ON – Lee's Palace supporting Unknown Mortal Orchestra

17th October 2013 – Detroit, MI – Magic Stick Lounge supporting Unknown Mortal Orchestra

18th October 2013 – Columbus, OH – Ace of Cups supporting Unknown Mortal Orchestra

19th October 2013 – Pittsburgh, PA – Altar supporting Unknown Mortal Orchestra

20th October 2013 – Bloomington, IN – The Bishop (headline gig)

21st October 2013 – Chicago, IL – Lincoln Hall supporting Unknown Mortal Orchestra

So, I am planning to go to the Philly and Mercury Lounge shows (Patty Griffin keeping me away from the first one)! Anybody else in?

Fully

Columbus looks like the closest for me, but Philly might be just as close.

Crispy

Go to Philly, Fully! Holy alliteration! Ruckus and Kate will be there for sure, and I'll bet we can get a couple of those nutty Philly peeps to go too.

Fully

It might be possible. I could take my husband on a birthday trip that weekend perhaps...

Crispy

Quote from: Fully on Jul 30, 2013, 10:21 AM
It might be possible. I could take my husband on a birthday trip that weekend perhaps...

Cool! Also, I think Bloomington is closest to you, but it's on a Sunday.

Ruckus

Buying Marge a bowling ball?

Haven't been this excited for a show in quite some time, even if it is at ortlieb's.  Capacity is 120 and much of the club has poor sightlines to the stage.  It is not a setup conducive to rocking out.  The sound is very good however

Fully

Quote from: Ruckus on Jul 30, 2013, 12:00 PM
Buying Marge a bowling ball?

Haven't been this excited for a show in quite some time, even if it is at ortlieb's.  Capacity is 120 and much of the club has poor sightlines to the stage.  It is not a setup conducive to rocking out.  The sound is very good however

Either buy Marge a bowling ball or don't take Marge to the bowling alley.

Ruckus

Crispy

Crispy

Thanks to danz:

Wolf People Announces When The Fire is Dead in the Grate 12"First Ever US Tour Starts Tomorrow in Brooklyn[/t][/t][/c][/t]

When The Fire Is Dead In the Grate 12" Artwork
Jagjaguwar's British band Wolf People have announced their brand new limited vinyl 12",When The Fire is Dead in the Grate. The single includes two new songs as well as two cuts from their April 2013 release, Fain. The 12" will be released on December 3rd, 2013.
After the intricately detailed Fain was complete, "All Returns Pt 2" and "Become the Ground" were recorded in their small rehearsal space. These new songs bear less resemblance to the majority of Wolf People's output, with acoustic guitars, female vocals, a freer attitude and rougher arrangements. Side A:
When The Fire Is Dead In the Grate

Become The Ground

Side B:
All Returns

All Returns Part II
[/t]

Wolf People - "When The Fire Is Dead In The Grate" (Official Audio)

(jesus, the formatting gods hate me)

Come Closer

I listened to Fain on the train this morning. Smooth like butta.