Main Menu

Wolf People

Started by Ruckus, Mar 20, 2013, 10:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fully

The formatting gods do hate you, Crispy; wonder if they'll have it for sale at the merch table this weekend?

woodnymph

Glad you guys are going to see them this weekend!!!   I hope I can get my ass back to Pittsburgh by Friday, for their show here!  Oh never mind, it's on the 19th and not the 18th, I'll totally be home! Oh thank GOD I don't have to rush back from Asheville!  But I'm sorry I won't be able to make it down there in a timely way, to rock out with all you guys!

On another note, I was in such a mood the other day... I was out in the kitchen making soup, blasting the crap out of Fain and Steeple (and this eventually led to Tool of course.)  But I'm glad it happened and reminded me of how important the show is!

Lordy, have fun ya'll!!!
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

Crispy

Damn, woody, you need to be in Philly with us...but have a great time at that show in Pittsburgh!
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

woodnymph

Quote from: Crispy on Oct 11, 2013, 05:51 PM
Damn, woody, you need to be in Philly with us...but have a great time at that show in Pittsburgh!

Ahhhhh thank you Crispy!  I sure wish e'eryone was still comin to Pitt!  But I will do my best to photoshop myself into all of your photos from that event, and I'll talk to each of you as though you are really there with me at the Pitt show  :kiss:

FiddleCastro

I NEEDED IT MOST WHENEVER tbh

Ruckus

Quote from: Sidus on Jun 14, 2013, 05:29 AM
Quote from: Crispy on Jun 13, 2013, 10:24 AM
Quote from: Sidus on Jun 13, 2013, 06:31 AM
So I recently saw Wolf People live for the second time. I was really impressed! This is one of these bands that sounds much better live than on record. Don't get me wrong, I love their albums, but their live show is just phenomenal! :cheesy: For example, I also saw Menomena recently and I really love their albums. Their live show however, was not that special IMO (but they had a bad day, singer was a bit sick). Wolf People's show was really something special! Highly recommended to see them live!

WOW, better than the records? The records are awesome! Jesus, I need to see these guys. MNT, you may need to get a couch ready. To help you watch the Steelers game the next day, of course!

Well I guess it's very comparable to MMJ. The jams are great on CD, but in a live setting they're from an even higher level. Everything falls to place. Even Cromlech, which I usually skip on CD, sound great live. The guys are jamming all the time, high levels of energy. Only thing is that the show was quite short (1h20m), but of course they only have 2 albums out (they played every song).

These guys have the potential to become one of my all time favorites  :thumbsup:
Holy Shit Sidus!  Finally saw them headline a small and wonderful sounding club in Philly in front of maybe 50 ish people, give or take and they exceeded all my excessive expectations.  I fell for Wolf People hard right around when Steeple came out and Fain this year only topped their proper debut LP.  I waited for three years for the opportunity to see them live and the wait was worth it.  I could not recall ever being so excited to see a band live for the 1st time and fucking A they killed it!

Each instrument is equally vital to their sound unlike most other bands with the perfect guitar interplay between Jack and Joe while Tom and Dan lay down the tightest, funkiest rhythms.  I can't think of of any other band that combines an intelligent prog rock aesthetic with tight, get down beats. 

I acknowledge that part of my exuberance may be attributed to some recency bias but I cannot remember being that blown away by a show.  They were all super nice and humble and the company of Crispy, Fully, jrud, and my wife (who is just as much a junkie) totally made the experience. 

If anyone gets the chance to see them open for UMO, I recommend it.  If you ever get the chance to see them headline anywhere, please go. :beer:

:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:
Wolf People - NRR - Live in Brighton, 12/05/2013.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Fully

^^^Exactly what Ruckus said!

Crispy

Quote from: Fully on Oct 15, 2013, 05:39 AM

^^^Exactly what Fully said! Add: I now have a tie for Favorite Rock Show Experience of All Time.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

Ruckus

Quote from: Crispy on Oct 15, 2013, 10:17 AM
Quote from: Fully on Oct 15, 2013, 05:39 AM

^^^Exactly what Fully said! Add: I now have a tie for Favorite Rock Show Experience of All Time.
I second this!  It was on par with my first MMJ show at the 930.  That good!
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

MarkW

How did I miss this thread / band?  They sound fucking awesome.

EDIT:  And, being from the UK, they played about 5 miles down the road from me in a tiny venue six months ago.
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

Fully

Quote from: MarkW on Oct 18, 2013, 04:16 AM

EDIT:  And, being from the UK, they played about 5 miles down the road from me in a tiny venue six months ago.

I believe you'll have more opportunities to see them in the future than we will, Mark. Good for you! As great as they are live, they are even better live! Seriously. It was a great show. I can't rank my concert experiences, but I know when I get that feeling inside of being moved by the music. When I can get lost in a show, which doesn't happen with every band or even every show of a band that moves me, then I know that band it the real thing.  And believe me,  I was moved.

Crispy

Quote from: Fully on Oct 18, 2013, 12:28 PM

I believe you'll have more opportunities to see them in the future than we will, Mark. Good for you! As great as they are live, they are even better live! Seriously. It was a great show. I can't rank my concert experiences, but I know when I get that feeling inside of being moved by the music. When I can get lost in a show, which doesn't happen with every band or even every show of a band that moves me, then I know that band it the real thing.  And believe me,  I was moved.

That's the truth! Overheard in Bloomington on Sunday night, "They're even better live than they are on the albums, and those are unbelievable!" Understatement of the year, maybe.

They actually had a setlist on the stage for this one, which they hadn't done at the other two I saw. The first encore tune was written as "(Banks ?)," which would have been Banks of Sweet Dundee, and which would have caused my brain to explode had they played it, but alas, they were out of time.

Woody, did you go to the Pittsburgh show??

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: Crispy on Oct 22, 2013, 05:16 PM

That's the truth! Overheard in Bloomington on Sunday night, "They're even better live than they are on the albums, and those are unbelievable!" Understatement of the year, maybe.

They actually had a setlist on the stage for this one, which they hadn't done at the other two I saw. The first encore tune was written as "(Banks ?)," which would have been Banks of Sweet Dundee, and which would have caused my brain to explode had they played it, but alas, they were out of time.

She did not, and I didn't go because no one else wanted to go.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

Fully

Quote from: Crispy on Oct 22, 2013, 05:16 PM

That may be the most accurate typo I've ever made.

woodnymph

Holy moly, Crispy I had a whole thing written out here tellin' you about my situation, I guess I never sent it! D'oh. Or maybe I caught up with on fb about it.... Well, I wussed out big time, though. And by wussed out, I mean I drove into Pitt from Asheville the night before, got in around 1am or thereabouts, then had to work a 10 hour shift the day of the show, which wound up being cold and rainy (otherwise rather-appropriate weather for their sound!) Pretty sure I'd managed to procure a headache too, through it all.  Total wuss.  :undecided:  I have got. to see them. next time.  It hurts to have missed them!!!

And Fully,  despite loving that typo, I LOVE that typo!!!  That is actually adorable hahah!  But double damn to have missed 'em this run.  Ok, guilt trip time here..... maybe if all you a-holes were comin' to Pitt like originally planned 4 years ago, I would have womanned up and gone!!!  Or you could have at least kept True some company while I lay at home, wussing out......   (sorry True!)   Ok fine, I know it was closer for most of you to see them elsewhere.  Maybe.  Fine!!   :tongue:  Next time we better be operating as one unit, please!!!!   :kiss:  I did so enjoy your reports and pics, at least!!