MMJ to Tour with Dylan this summer

Started by markcel, Apr 19, 2013, 06:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EverythingChanges

Quote from: Penny Lane on Apr 19, 2013, 10:35 AM
Quote from: EverythingChanges on Apr 19, 2013, 10:27 AM
How can MMJ open for Dylan?  I'd much rather see a 3 hour set with MMJ versus a 45min-1hr set with MMJ and then Dylan.  Dylan is great, but he is past his prime, and I do not understand why they're opening when they don't have to.  If the Wilco thing is true, same goes for them.  Unless the concert starts at 2pm and each band plays for 3 hours!  Either way, I still want to see these 3 bands, so I'll stop ranting.

Still holding out for a solo MMJ show in Louisville this year.

MMJ may be the greatest live band out there, but Dylan is an institution and a legend. The set's probably going to be shorter, the tickets more $ and the crowds less MMJ centric but it's an honor for them and it'll be a chance for more people to hear them----

And my friend saw Dylan last week and it was the best he's ever seen him ..so you never know.

I understand Dylan is a legend, I try to preach it to my friends who try to tell me that he is awful and that he doesn't know how to sing.  I fucking love Dylan.  I just guess I'd rather see some long MMJ centric shows.  Either way, I will be going to this if a show pops up near me.  Especially if Wilco is tagged as the third act.  This show would be comprised of one of my favorite classic rock/folk musicians and essentially my two favorite modern rock bands (MMJ being my favorite band period).  How could anyone pass that up? 

Also note: Jim, Jeff, and Dylan on stage together for Like a Rolling Stone would be killer.
I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck

oistheone

I'm very interested to get further details on this. So many questions right now and I'm trying to make sense of this! A full set from all three bands seems unlikely, but to me, that idea is not only the most interesting, but the most logical. It's not like MMJ or LEGENDARY BAND X need the exposure of opening for Dylan. So it seems like this should be a money-making tour. Make it kinda like a traveling mini festival or something. I know other bands -- like Mumford, for example -- are doing this sort of "festival in a day" tour and the ticket sales have been phenomenal. So this would make a lot of sense to me.

If its just two openers (one MMJ and one BAND X) and then Dylan, it seems like that ground has been tread before and would be cool, but would dampen my excitement considerably.

markcel

Quote from: headhunter on Apr 19, 2013, 09:45 AM
I heard from a reliable source that the 3rd band is Wilco.

:cheesy:

For some reason they were the first band I thought of when I read the article (maybe it was just wishful thinking).

Caseydog, I have had similar experiences with Dylan, loved him on some of his co-billed shows with Paul Simon and then with Phil Lesh & Friends, but then saw him at the Auditorium just himself a few years back and walked out. 

APR

If the third band is Wilco, then what order does everyone play?  I think a min-fest like the one oistheone mentioned makes sense.   I can't wait to find out the deal.   Dylan is a legend and would play last. 

I'm with EverythingChanges as far as preferring a 2.5 hour show like "an evening with MMJ" headlining tour.  But you gotta take what you can get..... hopefully 90 minutes, which is clearly better than nothing. 

EverythingChanges

Quote from: oistheone on Apr 19, 2013, 10:48 AM
I'm very interested to get further details on this. So many questions right now and I'm trying to make sense of this! A full set from all three bands seems unlikely, but to me, that idea is not only the most interesting, but the most logical. It's not like MMJ or LEGENDARY BAND X need the exposure of opening for Dylan. So it seems like this should be a money-making tour. Make it kinda like a traveling mini festival or something. I know other bands -- like Mumford, for example -- are doing this sort of "festival in a day" tour and the ticket sales have been phenomenal. So this would make a lot of sense to me.

If its just two openers (one MMJ and one BAND X) and then Dylan, it seems like that ground has been tread before and would be cool, but would dampen my excitement considerably.

This.

What if (and this won't happen) Dylan, MMJ, and Act Numero 3 didn't open for one another.  Instead they all played at the same time, alternating between each bands' songs.  There would be like an upwards of 10 people on stage, but it would be sweet nonetheless.

Also, since MMJ is opening for the greatest folk musician ever, anyone think their set will be more geared towards their older tunes.  TTF/AD stuff?  One could only hope.

brn2plybal

Would be an awesome tour if Wilco were the 3rd band.

I would suspect this will be an amphitheater tour only.

My guess would be a 10 show northeast tour:

Camden
Saratoga
Merriweather
Hartford
Great Woods
Jones Beach
Bethel
Ohio

EverythingChanges

Is the mini festival thing even possible?  If so, then I would love to be there for that.

I could see MMJ opening for both bands; Wilco is pretty big.

markcel

What if (and this won't happen) Dylan, MMJ, and Act Numero 3 didn't open for one another.  Instead they all played at the same time, alternating between each bands' songs.  There would be like an upwards of 10 people on stage, but it would be sweet nonetheless.

[/quote]

Yes please, lets see Nels Cline jam with Jim and the boys.

willsfc

what sucks is Dylan is very anti-taping, so i doubt many of these shows will be taped :\ unless someone uber stealths it.
-will

LeanneP

A couple of thoughts:

In '03 Dylan toured with The Dead and opened for them at Darien Lake/Buffalo. It was more like a double headliner with Dylan going first and then joining The Dead on stage for a couple tunes. It worked really well. Dylan also played first for Phil Lesh and Friends in Toronto in '00.

I could see that happening here. Not that MMJ are better or anything but that they are a more energetic band who would probably play longer and going last would make a lot of sense. 

With regards to rumours of Wilco playing, too... My old man, alienlanes, was out for lunch yesterday with a musician who is very close to Wilco (I have to keep that all as anonymous as possible or he'll murder me) and when discussing upcoming stuff playing with Dylan and/or MMJ didn't come up at all. That might not mean anything, and it might only mean that Wilco hasn't been confirmed yet and are still haggling about guarantees or schedules, but as of yet, it's a strong nod that Wilco are not on this tour as of yet.
Babe, let's get one thing clear, there's much more stardust when you're near.

ericm

It's probably a Dylan headlining tour, but I'd love for it to be how some of the all day summer shows were back in the day. A touring mini fest if  you will, with each getting pretty much a full set.

Some of those included:

Gary Wright, Frampton, and Yes
The Clash, Santana, and The Who
Blonde, Elvis Costello, and Genesis
And not to mention the Dylan, and The Dead 1987 summer tour.  :cool:  :thumbsup:
"Where's Jim going?"

Waddy Peytona

First, the events in Boston and now news of MMJ/Dylan. Clearly, I will be getting nothing done at work today. (Am I even awake?? This all seems so surreal....)

justbcuzido

Quote from: markcel on Apr 19, 2013, 11:06 AM

Yes please, lets see Nels Cline jam with Jim and the boys.
[/quote]

This would be the coolest. Almost like a Ringo Starr and the All-Star Band shows. Those have always been really awesome in my opinion as everyone just jams together. Would Dylan go for that? He did at the Grammys with Mumford & Sons & the Avett Brothers.
Mona Lisa must'a had the highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles.

johnnYYac

Quote from: oistheone on Apr 19, 2013, 08:48 AM
Interesting...

Can't see Dylan opening for anyone, but can you really imagine having to sit through Dylan after MMJ? It'd be like chugging some OJ after brushing your teeth with some really awesome toothpaste.
:grin:
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

johnnYYac

Quote from: Crispy on Apr 19, 2013, 09:29 AM
I did that, twice, in 2007! It was very much like you imagined here. With the addition of not being able to understand the OJ and it not tasting like any OJ you've ever had before, and being surrounded by withered fanatics of the incomprehensible juice.
:grin:
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Cameron

If this comes near me it's the only way I'd pay to see bob again.

ericm

Quote from: brn2plybal on Apr 19, 2013, 11:00 AM

Camden
Saratoga
Merriweather
Hartford
Great Woods
Jones Beach
Bethel
Ohio

I'd take it, but I'm thinking this will be more like a minor league baseball park tour.
"Where's Jim going?"

Cameron

Quote from: ericm on Apr 19, 2013, 11:53 AM

Camden
Saratoga
Merriweather
Hartford
Great Woods
Jones Beach
Bethel
Ohio

I'd take it, but I'm thinking this will be more like a minor league baseball park tour.

That was my first thought as well.

solace

Quote from: ericm on Apr 19, 2013, 11:53 AM

Camden
Saratoga
Merriweather
Hartford
Great Woods
Jones Beach
Bethel
Ohio

*nod*
Minnesota in early July sounds nice :beer:

solace

also, expect the order to be: MMJ->Wilco->Dylan

i really hope they start super early so each band can get 90 minutes, but guessing it might be 60 for both MMJ and Wilco