Lucky Man cover by JJ in Volkswagon commercial

Started by Fully, May 16, 2013, 10:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnYYac

I tried emailing VW's ad dept.  Their reply...

Date: May 20, 2013, 11:07:11 AM EDT
To: John Yacopucci <johnnyyac@comcast.net>
Subject: RE: CONTACT US 5/20 SA
Hi John and MMJ fans,

The song used in the Volkswagen Passat commercial is indeed a cover of "Lucky Man" by Jim James. This cover version "Lucky Man" has not yet been released (unlucky us). 

The original version of "Lucky Man" was released in 1970 for British progressive rock band Emerson, Lake & Palmer (ELP).  "Lucky Man" is included in their debut album "Emerson Lake & Palmer," and can be found on sites such as Amazon or iTunes.

The news should be posted to http://www.mymorningjacket.com/ when it is announced.

Have a great week, John and friends!

Shelley A.
VolkTalk

good things come to those who wait
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

yakeroo

Chalk me up to being a 90's child too, as I immediately thought The Verve. Actually I was thinking The Verve or that wretched country song titled Lucky Man that I have to listen to some drunken hick karaoke every dart night at the local bar. Ugh I would post it, but I will spare you all's ears.

I really enjoy this song though. Thanks for the find!

Waddy Peytona

SaraBananaBear

Quote from: johnnYYac on May 20, 2013, 03:26 PM

Hi John and MMJ fans,

The song used in the Volkswagen Passat commercial is indeed a cover of "Lucky Man" by Jim James. This cover version "Lucky Man" has not yet been released (unlucky us). 

The original version of "Lucky Man" was released in 1970 for British progressive rock band Emerson, Lake & Palmer (ELP).  "Lucky Man" is included in their debut album "Emerson Lake & Palmer," and can be found on sites such as Amazon or iTunes.

The news should be posted to http://www.mymorningjacket.com/ when it is announced.

Shelley A.
VolkTalk

Excellent!  :cheesy: :thumbsup:
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

justbcuzido

Quote from: SaraBananaBear on May 21, 2013, 01:57 PM

Hi John and MMJ fans,

Shelley A.
VolkTalk

Excellent!  :cheesy: :thumbsup:

I can't say this enough, but you are the man!
Mona Lisa must'a had the highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles.

jimsflyingv

That is one more reason why I am happy owner of a Volkswagen :) Best cars in the world uses the best artist in the world for their commercial

johnnYYac

Always appreciate the praise, but I think the email from VW was putting me off... Don't expect a release anytime soon, if at all.  All avenues for getting this track are being explored, so stay tuned but don't hold your breath.  It was the same deal with Turn Turn Turn on True Blood, though a soundtrack release was more realistic than will be a compilation of commercial music.  One can hope...
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

buymycar

"The news should be posted to http://www.mymorningjacket.com/ when it is announced."

I'm trying to figure out what this statement means from the email.  What news?  It seems rather ambiguous to me.

justbcuzido

Quote from: johnnYYac on May 22, 2013, 11:30 AM
Always appreciate the praise, but I think the email from VW was putting me off... Don't expect a release anytime soon, if at all.  All avenues for getting this track are being explored, so stay tuned but don't hold your breath.  It was the same deal with Turn Turn Turn on True Blood, though a soundtrack release was more realistic than will be a compilation of commercial music.  One can hope...

Praise due to effort! We should all email them this:

The Kinks - Give the people what they want

subinai

i emailed the ad agency and they said that there are no plans to release the song. poop.

SaraBananaBear

Quote from: subinai on Jun 06, 2013, 07:37 PM
i emailed the ad agency and they said that there are no plans to release the song. poop.

:cry:
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

Cameron

Are we sure he recorded the whole song? He could have just done the short clip if it was just for the commercial.

Angelo

I just read the Father John Misty cover story in the new Magnet (it is awesome and I highly recommend those even slightly interested in Tillman read it). In it he says he turned down an offer of $75,000 to play Lucky Man for the VW commercial. There was no mention of JJ but thought it interesting anyway.

justbcuzido

Hi John and MMJ fans,

Shelley A.
VolkTalk

A few year bump here, but would love to hear someone got access to this song somewhere along the line.