"One Big Holiday" in MEXICO!!

Started by parkervb, Jun 11, 2013, 01:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevie

I have a lot to say about this whole thing but very little time at the moment.. So i'll just say that I think the setlists meshed pretty darn well with the environment that was most likely occurring at OBH.  When they come back to Red Rocks or Port Chester, we'll definitely get more of the "death is the easy way," "rollin back," and "they ran" kinda thing.  It seems like OBH was more about just letting loose and having a great time than coming up with some sort of masterpiece of a setlist.  Besides, the band had to have known that a large portion of their fanbase cannot afford OBH in terms of time as well as the time of year (not during the holidays and instead during the second week of the semester for us students).

That said, I will make every effort to go next year for the experience alone, but not if that interferes with Red Rocks or Port Chester. 

My Morning Tube top

Quote from: rincon2 on Feb 11, 2014, 12:01 AM
Quote from: ericm on Feb 09, 2014, 07:09 AM
Quote from: rincon2 on Feb 09, 2014, 05:31 AM
Quote from: ericm on Feb 08, 2014, 09:39 AM
Quote from: rincon2 on Feb 08, 2014, 02:40 AM
Watching Red Rocks 2012 night 2 on DVR. I am pretty sure those shows were the modern epitome of MMJ shows based on setlist and performance. But,,,,,,,,who walked 2 minutes home for 4 nights? Who had 75 degree winds blowing in various directions with pleasant humidity? Music may have been better in Denver, but no effin way was the overall experience. And why do I want to cry every time I watch Steam Engine live?

I'm sure there are plenty of people who feel the setlist, and performance are the most important thing, with those being what makes their experience. Seeing shows at RR ain't exactly  chopped liver regardless of having to drive or not having a tropical temp. Throw in being there with a great, hardcore group of friends/fans, and it rivals anything, anywhere,IMO.

I'm certainly not putting down the experience of OBH or those shows. I sure as hell wish i could've been there, but I just don't think anyone can speak for everyone's experiences. To each their own.
Eric. I met you at the Patterson Hood show on Long Island. I am not sure if you spent the night at Jeff's house, but I did not. I had to drive 10 miles to my hotel room not knowing where I was. So yeah. Walking 2 minutes to my room is a serious factor in considering how great an experience is. Unlimited prepaid alcohol, with a 2 minute walk, has the ability to place this experience beyond anything I have ever had. Think about this. 3 outdoor MMJ shows, in warm weather, walking distance to bed each night. Once in a lifetime shit. (I hope not)

I do remember meeting you, and it was a great night in Dix Hills.  :thumbsup:

I know it's a great thing to only have a short walk to bed after a show. I always try and book a room within walking distance on my road trips if possible. My point was while that may be a big factor in yours, or my experience, that is not necessarily true for everyone. The same goes with unlimited alcohol. While I sure like to have a few at shows, I know not everyone else does. I have no doubt that some peoples experiences at say a venue like RR is the ultimate for them. Having to drive a few miles doesn't even factor in to that amazing experience. That doesn't diminish OBH in any way. Again, I wish I could've been there, and I have no doubt I would've loved it. Just that I don't think it's fair to say that experience was any better than someone else's best experience.  It's totally subjective. To each their own, and I'm glad for you it was your ultimate experience.  :beer:
I know it is subjective. This is the first time there was a beehive of MMJ fanatics for 100 hours. It was tropical. It was all inclusive.  I get that it may not be for everyone, but you got to admit, on paper, there has never been anything remotely like this. I will accept Ewinds take to my post with serious contemplation, as he was in Mexico for this, and was more fond of Port Chester in the cold. I actually enjoyed the Wiltern shows better, but not the combined experience. I was able to go to my room between songs, and not really miss a thing, as I could hear the music. Anyone been to both the Wiltern and Port Chester, and if so, can they explain to me why PC ends up on everyones top shows, and the Wiltern rarely does?

I was at all the Wiltern and PC shows.  They were 6 no repeat digging deep shows of awesome!  The PC shows were during the Holiday break, and allowed many peeps from all over to plan ahead and make all 3 shows.  They also ended the year of an amazing tour from the spring/ summer that left many wanting more.  The community feel and attendance is definitely why the PC shows are always referenced, for me the closest feel to the T5 shows.  The Wiltern run was amazing in it's own right, I am grateful I live in LA and got to see those shows.  That being said the Wiltern shows were in September after a long summer tour so many people that I knew who would have traveled out couldn't during school, work, etc and had already spent their funds on summer shows.  Perhaps a Wiltern run during the Holidays instead of PC someday?  The East Coast seems more accessible and central for most fans, but I would love to lure them West!  The Wiltern is one of my favorite local venues by far and the second rail stage level, my favorite spot to take in a show. The pure beauty of the PC re-opening and renovations added to those shows as well. The sound was phenomenal, the rich history of previous shows permeates the air (The Dead, Pink Floyd, Janis Joplin) and its just plain beautiful! It's a pretty special place that was meticulously restored and continues to bring in amazing artists. Any venue with wallpaper that includes Jerry Garcia and a flying Z get's my devotion.  :thumbsup:  Here is a great article from the Times that explains the history and Pete Shapiro's renovation passion. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/06/arts/music/capitol-theater-in-port-chester-ny-to-reopen.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

ericm

Nice post Tube top.  :thumbsup: I wasn't at  the Wiltern so I'll take your word for it, but totally agree with your thoughts on PC, especially the timing of it, community feel, and even it being a similar feel as T5.

I'd like to get to some Wiltern shows some time. It sounds like a my kind of place but no question the renovated Cap is a great venue. I love everything about it. The only thing that could be better about that place for me is if I was the guy who installed that Jerry wallpaper.  :grin: you can be sure some of it would've somehow found it's way to LBI, and Venice!  :wink:
"Where's Jim going?"

Blakehayden

Does anybody who attended OBH last year have suggestions regarding the type of room to purchase, i.e. gold, platinum, ect.? Also, what part of the resort is best suited for the most "fun" with the best views of the ocean?

My wife and I are 38 years old and willing to spend up to 1700 per person...

Bulldog

Quote from: Blakehayden on Jun 21, 2014, 10:23 AM
Does anybody who attended OBH last year have suggestions regarding the type of room to purchase, i.e. gold, platinum, ect.? Also, what part of the resort is best suited for the most "fun" with the best views of the ocean?

My wife and I are 38 years old and willing to spend up to 1700 per person...

Theres a ton of info in the thread for this years,

http://forum.mymorningjacket.com/index.php/topic,18491.0.html

having been I would echo the sentiments of many that ya dont want to over due the room. Spend the money on other things. $1700 will do ya just fine and trust me, you wont regret going...

Blakehayden

Sian-of-the-dead

Anyone else travelling from England for this?  :smiley:
Don't let 'em take who you are boy, and don't try to be who you ain't...

Beans713

Quote from: Lilhuffy on Jan 20, 2014, 11:05 PM
SO I joined the board to track any and all updates and have been obsessing about the state of the hotel and how this trip is going to play out.  Here are the conclusions I've come to:
1. We're all aware of the issues going in so at least we won't be hoodwinked by the hotel and our expectations are so low that it can only go up from here.
2. The band is going to be amazing, which is what we're all ultimately going down there for.
3. We're going to be surrounded by solid, like-minded people who are going to be great.
4. At this point, it's 28 degrees in Denver, I work 50+ hours a week and engage in a nightly three hour battle trying to get a two year old to go to bed.  As long as they don't run out of beer and there's not a turd on my pillow when we check into our room, I think I can make do.

Mahalo, let's do this.

Are you gonna let me sit a top your shoulders during the Biz Markie set? Sorry in advance for spilling my to-go cup of Sake on your head.

Lilhuffy

You're already forgiven (by the time we get down to the show it's only luke warm anyway) and of course you can sit atop my shoulders.  However, while you're up there I will require you to be pouring a funnel directly into my mouth of rum and diet coke.

Side note: when we got on the train in the Denver airport last year to head to our terminal for this trip, who was sitting across from us on that train?  None other than Biz Markie.  Everything comes full circle people.