"One Big Holiday" in MEXICO!!

Started by parkervb, Jun 11, 2013, 01:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ItBeats4Jew

Quote from: gluvmiller on Jul 16, 2013, 05:56 PM
Quote from: ItBeats4Jew on Jul 16, 2013, 05:34 PM
my kids are really into MMJ, so they may want to be up front for some of it, but we also have a concert courtyard room in case they want some more space (and you all are welcome to join us there).  they are both really into sports, and i'm sure we'll be making full use of the basketball they have on site there.  they also love to swim and my oldest will want to do some snorkeling too.  we plan on being at the resort the entire time.  splashing around w/ my kids and a steady diet of adult frozen beverages...i'm good for a few days.    :thumbsup:

p.s. your kids' names are way cool.

p.p.s. you think the shows will be 2 sets?
Yeah, 2 of my kids are little so I worry about the loud sound. We had Hadley on the rail front row one night of Panic. In the big picture, I try to keep my kids away from my friends in those situations. My kids know my friends very well and I don't want my friends to be concerned about how they're partying in front of my kids.

As far as our kids hanging out during the day, Elvis's favorite sport is far and away basketball. Santa brought him a bball hoop when he was two. That little bot played non stop for like 8 hours. I don't know that I've ever seen a 2 yr old that focused for that long. Hadley always wants to swim so i would love to get her snorkeling in the ocean. She and I went to one of the eco-resorts and snorkeled and she loved it. Sounds like we can certainly work out some kid time. Oh, and I so appreciate your offer with your concert view room. We'll just cross that bridge...

And thanks on the compliment. We have certain criteria when naming kids. It's kinda funny. And I have no idea about 2 sets or not. Doesn't seem to be their typical recipe. Their extended set with a big encore is actually a very user friendly style for the beach starting at 9pm

you probably have something like this already, but in case you don't get a couple pairs of these:

https://www.google.com/#q=kids+noise+reducing+earmuffs&source=lnms&tbm=shop&sa=X&ei=YsPlUYCRF--jiAemzIGADA&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAw&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&fp=db1d032afb0b4834&biw=1280&bih=939&bvm=pv.xjs.s.en_US.QXiTEk6XjhM.O

my younger son, Spencer, who was 5 1/2 at the time and doesn't like his music too loud (like his brother does) was on the rail for the entire Brooklyn show w/ his headphones and he loved it and never complained once that it was too loud. 
what Madonna said really helped

gluvmiller

Quote from: ItBeats4Jew on Jul 16, 2013, 06:08 PM
you probably have something like this already, but in case you don't get a couple pairs of these:

https://www.google.com/#q=kids+noise+reducing+earmuffs&source=lnms&tbm=shop&sa=X&ei=YsPlUYCRF--jiAemzIGADA&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAw&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&fp=db1d032afb0b4834&biw=1280&bih=939&bvm=pv.xjs.s.en_US.QXiTEk6XjhM.O

my younger son, Spencer, who was 5 1/2 at the time and doesn't like his music too loud (like his brother does) was on the rail for the entire Brooklyn show w/ his headphones and he loved it and never complained once that it was too loud.

Actually I don't. Thanks so much for the link. I've been using my Bose noise canceling headphones for my son when he needs it, but they're a little big for him. These are definitely on the to-do list.

oistheone

That Kid Rock article is every bit as awesome and hilarious as I thought it'd be. Thanks for posting!

Goddamn I wish I could do this Mexico thing...

TheDark

Here is a view of the area where the concerts will be. This is going to be insane!  Spring Break fantasy.  http://www.oyster.com/cancun/hotels/aventura-spa-palace/photos/grounds--v1144845-82/

I think the dance party is going to be in one of the ballrooms. Probably the first night.

gluvmiller

Quote from: TheDark on Jul 17, 2013, 01:48 PM
Here is a view of the area where the concerts will be. This is going to be insane!  Spring Break fantasy.  http://www.oyster.com/cancun/hotels/aventura-spa-palace/photos/grounds--v1144845-82/

I think the dance party is going to be in one of the ballrooms. Probably the first night.

And it will only get better. Can't wait to see what Hard Rock does with their renovation. This is a big one for them. The competition on the coast of the Yucatan Peninsula is very strong and they need to step it up. Obviously there is a reason why the Aventura failed and was sold to the HR, so I expect to be blown away.

And as far as the dance party, I have so many mixed feelings as when it should/would be. I don't think I would want it the first night as I will be way to eager for the goods.

br00ke

seeing more photo's has just reignited my excitement .. especially knowing the resort is currently undergoing renovations. cannot wait !!

TheDark

Maybe the dance party will be the 2nd or 3rd night to give the band a rest from playing 3 hr + rock shows each night. Guessing there won't be a show curfew, so I'm really intrigued on how long they will play. Just thinking about their epic late night Bonnaroo set in 08. The possibilities are endless.  :cool:

My Morning Tube top

Quote from: e_wind on Jul 08, 2013, 04:48 PM
Quote from: fortbethel on Jul 05, 2013, 03:46 PM
A thought. Those of you thinking that you'll get to personally meet the band throughout the stay think twice. You know they aren't staying at the same resort. 'The Jacket' love and adore the fan base but even the guys know how overwhelming it would be to have to listen to fans go on and on about their love then have to perform. And have to do this four days in a row. My bet is that they have rooms at another resort very near by.

Met Jim once in L.A. and he was very nice and receptive.

I don't think anyone was expecting to hang out with them and share a sleeping bag all week. But thanks for the negativity and condescending thoughts.

You mean I'm not sharing a sleeping bag with them? This puts a real wrench in my plans! :wink:

themarsvolta

Thanks for the link with all the pics!!

Holy shiiiiii

...can't wait for this!!

@@

gluvmiller

Quote from: themarsvolta on Jul 18, 2013, 09:30 PM
Thanks for the link with all the pics!!

Holy shiiiiii

...can't wait for this!!

@@

And those pix from the Oyster site are what the resort was. You wanna get excited, check out the pix of the what the resort will be

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=hard+rock+resort+riviera+maya&qpvt=hard+rock+resort+riviera+maya&FORM=IGRE&adlt=strict#a

:beer:

missbrandicruz

this is ALL INCLUSIVE-FOOD AND BOOZE! its WELL WORTH THE COST! I cant wait to et there and party with other fans! its gonna be epic, and I advise to check into flying from Tijuana to Cancun-you'll save a couple hundy on airfare!

TheDark

Don't know if this has been posted yet.. "the shows will live on well after the event, as everyone who attends will receive a download code for each performance at One Big Holiday to be redeemed by Live Downloads."  :thumbsup:
http://www.artistdirect.com/entertainment-news/article/my-morning-jacket-s-one-big-holiday-destination-event-set-for-january-2014/10620484#jLeCuUmEoEsfSSze.99

Woldie

Just entered the events dates into TripCase.com ....  Way too excited, way too far in advance!   :cheesy:
"The owls are not what they seem."

fortbethel

Quote from: missbrandicruz on Jul 19, 2013, 12:37 PM
this is ALL INCLUSIVE-FOOD AND BOOZE! its WELL WORTH THE COST! I cant wait to et there and party with other fans! its gonna be epic, and I advise to check into flying from Tijuana to Cancun-you'll save a couple hundy on airfare!

I had not thought of this. Flying from within the state of Mexico. Interesting. Savings yes but it would complicate matters too. I can see a group of fans car pooling to the T. Airport and doing it as a group. Does anyone want too?

Loress

god dammit I wish I could go
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

rincon2

Quote from: Northern Neighbour on Jul 16, 2013, 09:51 AM
Traveling to Mexico would require at least 5 days and maybe 6.  The cost for two of us would be a minimum $5K.  Carol doesn't drink, I only drink a bit, and neither of us are huge eaters.  So, yeah, $5K is quite a bit and a lot more than we spent on PC+Boston.  We could fly to Europe and spend 10 to 14 days there on $5K.
Your point is clearly an example of perspective. You make a great point, but this is another view. After spending a whole $110 for the 3 Wiltern shows I understand what a phenomenal deal that was. But to see 3 relatively private shows in a first class, all inclusive tropical setting, for less than $2K, for me is not bad. Clearly our circumstances are different, but I can do 6 overtimes in the next 5 months to pay for it. (I paid $1000 to fly to NY to see Patterson Hood, among other things. Met you there. This is a whole other level of WOW!!!!)

Northern Neighbour

I don't think I need to defend myself and explain why we have opted to skip this trip.  It's not just a difference of perspective; it's also about ability to take the time off, long-term planning (i.e., other trips, shows for 2014), other responsibilities, etc.   

Unless you know my wife and me, you would know that we strongly considered going, but since we tend to travel a lot during the year - well as much as we can - we need to ensure we have money and time available for these trips.  It's also not easy for us to take another week-long trip after returning from a one-month vacation that will end in December. 

We have also traveled great distances (I think second only to Ralph, who lives in Melbourne) to see MMJ and have to since they rarely make it up north.  However, this is one trip that we will pass on for those reasons listed above and others, but we hope it will be a memorable experience for those attending.  We'll just have different memories through our non-MMJ experiences.

rincon2

Well, that was clearly a misinterpretation of my point. By perspective i just meant opportunity and situation. I fully understand your viewpoint and what you meant. I was just pointing out that what normally would be a ridiculous idea for me to consider is actually not as far fetched as it looks, under my circumstances.

Northern Neighbour

I don't think it's a far-fetched idea; just something that is not very accessible to a lot of people.

Coping Saw

Jelly Mallet beats the Belly Hammer